Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dhacker56  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:37:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
My service computation date is 6/11/78. If I work thru jun 3 2009, Will my retirement date for computation be the 3rd or 4th. On this date I will have 2124 hrs of SL. what will my total service time with SL be? I have used two different calculators and gotten two answers. One says that My SL will be 1 yr and 6 days and one says 1 yr and 7 days. This is important as I need exactly 7 days to equal the full month of SL. Please answer only if you are sure. I realize that it won't make that much difference in money but the thought of giving up a month for nothing galls me!
Fonz  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:30:37 PM(UTC)

The only people who really count are the ones figuring it out. Go to them and ask.
jaybones  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:43:52 PM(UTC)

From the information that you provided, I come up with 7 days. However, as the Fonz points out, my opinion isn't the one that counts. Additionally, I would not plan up to the minute, as you apparently have. There is always a possibility that you, or a family member, will get sick and you will have to use some of your time. If you plan on using annual leave to cover that eventuality, personally I would rather have the cash from annual leave in a lump sum rather than an extra 1/6th of 1% for you never know how long. But that is just me, I am targetting for an extra few days, because I would rather plan on giving up an extra 7 days of sick leave, than make a math error and come just a few hours short of that extra month's credit.
dhacker56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:23:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
This is what I would have if I did NOT use any between now and then. Hve no choice about using it. I will NOT use it if I am not sick. As you say 1/6% is not worth my integrity.
Warrenlm  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:43:43 AM(UTC)

quote:
Originally posted by dhacker56:
My service computation date is 6/11/78. If I work thru jun 3 2009, Will my retirement date for computation be the 3rd or 4th. On this date I will have 2124 hrs of SL. what will my total service time with SL be? I have used two different calculators and gotten two answers. One says that My SL will be 1 yr and 6 days and one says 1 yr and 7 days. This is important as I need exactly 7 days to equal the full month of SL. Please answer only if you are sure. I realize that it won't make that much difference in money but the thought of giving up a month for nothing galls me!

2124 SL hours equals 1 year 7 days service credit. See the Sick Leave Conversion Table. 37 days falls between 6 days and 7 days so we use 7. Subtracting 78-06-11 from 09-06-03 (and making 03 be 04 to add the day required for the substraction to work) yields 30-11-23. Adding 1y 7d, gives 32 years exactly.

As to getting it confirmed now, no. OPM reviews the agency calculated SCD and won't do it until you retire. I've tried because of a similar situation. The closest I was able to get was an OPM email to the Service HR contact that confirmed my position on how the calculation should work regarding military time.
Fonz  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 8:50:20 PM(UTC)

Here is something that might help.
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0207/020907rp.htm
Rss Feed  Atom Feed