Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Labor

The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.

In carrying out this mission, the Department administers a variety of Federal labor laws including those that guarantee workers' rights to safe and healthful working conditions; a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay; freedom from employment discrimination; unemployment insurance; and other income support. (DOL's mission statement)

Perhaps you are working for the DOL or interested in working for the DOL. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOL.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
adw1023  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:22:51 AM(UTC)
adw1023

Groups: Registered

my doctor completed an exam of me for federal worker's comp and he increased my disability rating on my right knee from about 25% to 35%-40% for an acl tear on the job back in 2004 for which i had acl surgery back then. several years ago i got a scheduled award and i lost most of it in the stock market in trhe 2008-09 stock market crash, so now with my new disability rating increase how much more money in scheduled award can i anticipate getting? i think my first scheduled award was about $26,000 take home, but let's not forget my attorney got one-third of the award for his fees/services for helping me win my case. i think attorneys should be limited to like 10% personally. i sent my disability increase packet to owcp the first time and they never responded, so this time i'm mailing my packet to my local congressman and his office will mail it to the department of labor/owcp and stay on top of my award increase on my behalf, so i don't have to pay any more attorney fees.

thanks in advance...
edalder  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:04:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
The maximum length of a scheduled award for the leg is 288 weeks. If you have an additional 10% loss of use, then any additional award would be for 28.8 weeks. If you get an additional 15%, then the length is a few weeks longer (15% of 288 weeks. You can do the math.) Since you have already been compensated for a 25% loss of use of your leg, you will only get an award for any additional percentage loss of use.

Having said the above, your original award probably was done using the Fifth Edition of the "American Medical Association Guides to Permanent Impairments". OWCP is now using the 6th edition of the AMA Guides. Awards using the 6th edition, tend to be somewhat lower. If your physician did not use the 6th edition in his evaluation, you may have to have the impairment rating "redone".

No one here can tell you the dollar amount that you might expect to receive. It's going to depend upon your pay rate, whether you do or do not have a qualifying dependent (2/3rds versus 3/45hs of your pay rate) and you probably will get awarded some COLA increases if your new date of maximum medical improvement in fixed at some date in the recent past as opposed to the ending date of your original award. But, even if you get an additional 15$, I would not expect the gross amount of the award to be higher than the gross amount of the award that you originally received. The period or length of any amended award is not going to be as many weeks as the first time around unless the additional impairment brings the overall percentage impairment of your leg to 50% or higher.

Kivi
adw1023  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:17:20 PM(UTC)
adw1023

thank you so much...
LeroyToliver  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 11:43:06 AM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 91 post(s)
What would you have gotten without the attorney?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed