Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants


Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skibum  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:18:48 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/1/2012(UTC)
Posts: 88

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Curious to hear if reemployed annuitants are finding it easier to get hired? I have 20 years with feds and am having a hard time getting another job. GS-12 most of my career, several agencies, and qualify under many series. Any tips? Thanks!
Nullifier  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:07:08 PM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/15/2009(UTC)
Posts: 37

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I'm not a retired annuitant, so I can't speak from personal experience. But I can tell you what I was told when my term expired at FDIC, near the end of the financial crisis. It's common knowledge that the retired annuitants got top priority. When the financial crisis started, the retired FDIC annuitants were contacted first, and offered term positions, based on their seniority and specialized experience in dealing with bank failures. Many of the people I worked with were retired annuitants. Several of them were 75 or older, one of them was 80+ years old and agreed to come back and work in a term position. One guy I know had retired twice, was in his third phase of employment, and has now permanently retired (for the third time). I'm not retired but I was told if we have a another national financial crisis, the order of offers was 1) retired annuitants. 2) former employees (like me) 3) external hires.
Some of the retired annuitants I knew never even had to apply through USA jobs, they were called and offered jobs directly.
majun  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2016 5:20:11 PM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 184

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I don't know about getting hired into a new position as a rehired annuitant, but getting back into your old position is pretty easy - just time consuming. My old supervisor asked me if I was interested in coming back part time as a rehired annuitant back in the end of January. I said yes and then at some point after that the process was initiated. I just got my tentative offer a couple of days ago and will have to wait out a new BI before I can set an EOD.

But the process was basically the office getting permission to rehire an annuitant (that part took almost two months), then I sent in a couple of simple forms (that took me all of two minutes to fill out) attesting to my retired status, my last SF 50 (which took about a month to get since I didn't print out my last electronic SF 50 before I left) and a resume. I got the tentative offer, non competitively, a couple of weeks after they got my SF 50, which was the last of the paperwork. Now I initiate a new security clearance BI and once I can get that done I am hired.

Pretty painless altogether, but the waiting around for paperwork to get done has been frustrating.
crossbow  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:14:15 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/26/2013(UTC)
Posts: 59

Thanks: 4 times
Originally Posted by: majun Go to Quoted Post
I don't know about getting hired into a new position as a rehired annuitant, but getting back into your old position is pretty easy - just time consuming. My old supervisor asked me if I was interested in coming back part time as a rehired annuitant back in the end of January. I said yes and then at some point after that the process was initiated. I just got my tentative offer a couple of days ago and will have to wait out a new BI before I can set an EOD.

But the process was basically the office getting permission to rehire an annuitant (that part took almost two months), then I sent in a couple of simple forms (that took me all of two minutes to fill out) attesting to my retired status, my last SF 50 (which took about a month to get since I didn't print out my last electronic SF 50 before I left) and a resume. I got the tentative offer, non competitively, a couple of weeks after they got my SF 50, which was the last of the paperwork. Now I initiate a new security clearance BI and once I can get that done I am hired.

Pretty painless altogether, but the waiting around for paperwork to get done has been frustrating.



=====

Just curious... hope you dont mind too much but I have some questions that you may be able to help with:

1. When you received the job offer, were you rehired at the same grade/higher/lower?
2. Were you retired for more/less than 90 days?
3. How was your salary determined? Was it based on your pay grade or amount before retirement? Were you able to negotiate salary, or did they just set the salary and no negotiation allowed?

Edited by user Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:20:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified




"There is no present like the time."
majun  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:34:37 AM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 184

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: crossbow Go to Quoted Post
[
Just curious... hope you dont mind too much but I have some questions that you may be able to help with:

1. When you received the job offer, were you rehired at the same grade/higher/lower?


The TO was at the same grade and step that I retired at


Quote:
2. Were you retired for more/less than 90 days?


I got the tentative offer 9 days after the anniversary of my retirement. Because of the time away I am awaiting a full background before I can start. They are backlogged by about six months but my BI seems to have been expedited since I've already had my personal interview and it's only been about six weeks since I did my SF 86. Hopefully I won't wait out the full six months.


Quote:
3. How was your salary determined? Was it based on your pay grade or amount before retirement? Were you able to negotiate salary, or did they just set the salary and no negotiation allowed?


I was rehired because they needed me and I was rehired into the position that I held before I retired, so there was no negotiation. What I was, I will be. The job has a specific journeyman level and they aren't going to offer me less than that and can't offer me more than that.

Hope you find this helpful.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.706 seconds.