Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedSoupJay  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:35:09 AM(UTC)
FedSoupJay

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey all!

I received the eQip a week ago. Does anyone know what they do with all the information in terms of contacting all the references? Is it by mail, phone, etc.? I'm having trouble believing that it will be done within the next two weeks. When should I expect a final offer or some kind of further information?

Two weeks to go..... I'm fortunate to not have a job to have to give two weeks notice to.

Thank you for your time! HR has been unresponsive to my calls and emails.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:54:27 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedSoupJay Go to Quoted Post
Hey all!

I received the eQip a week ago. Does anyone know what they do with all the information in terms of contacting all the references? Is it by mail, phone, etc.? I'm having trouble believing that it will be done within the next two weeks. When should I expect a final offer or some kind of further information?

Two weeks to go..... I'm fortunate to not have a job to have to give two weeks notice to.

Thank you for your time! HR has been unresponsive to my calls and emails.

If you want to know what your background investigation looked like, submit an INV-100 form to the National Background Investigation Bureau over at OPM when it is complete. They'll deliver you a copy soon enough.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
FedSoupJay on 10/16/2016(UTC)
hemihem  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:18:15 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 75 post(s)
If the position requires access to classified, you will be screened for an interim clearance that will take less than two weeks, if your position does not require access to classified you will be screened for suitability that will take less than two weeks, the complete investigation to include final adjudication can take up to 24 months.

Congrats.
thanks 1 user thanked hemihem for this useful post.
FedSoupJay on 10/17/2016(UTC)
Vinny  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:15:38 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
They will start the background investigation but it's highly unlikely it will be done before you enter on duty. Depending on whether the investigation is done by a contractor, they may do some interview some references by phone or they may do it in person. You will probably be interviewed in person but it may be after you start.
thanks 1 user thanked Vinny for this useful post.
ClassicBlue  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 1:42:28 PM(UTC)
ClassicBlue

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm not sure about 24 months. I have been hired twice and each time my background checks have been completed within 6 months of my start date. Make sure you are as accurate and honest as possible. Even the smallest discrepancies can create some big issues.
thanks 1 user thanked ClassicBlue for this useful post.
FedSoupJay  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 6:55:56 PM(UTC)
FedSoupJay

United States

Thanks for all the info! This forum is so helpful but also a bit scary, seeing how much there is to learn about having a job with the government. I've been reading the posts about furlough control and I can't tell if people love it or hate it. Any advice for a seasonal employee to make this job work, no matter the furlough situation? Any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated. Thank you!
thanks 1 user thanked FedSoupJay for this useful post.
PJ79 on 10/17/2016(UTC)
alesha  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:53:29 PM(UTC)
alesha

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you are self learner, have great people person lead and manager, come to work on time than you good!!!!
thanks 2 users thanked alesha for this useful post.
FedSoupJay on 10/18/2016(UTC), PJ79 on 10/18/2016(UTC)
spence  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:38:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Your references might only get a questionnaire to fill out in the mail. It depends on the job what version form you had to fill out and how intense the background investigation is. I think when I was hired as a seasonal contact rep in Accounts Management, my references were only contacted by mail. That's definitely what happened the first time I was hired by the IRS, before that, as a seasonal tax examiner in Submission Processing.

As others mentioned, the investigation is still ongoing for a few months once you're on the job as your references are contacted and other information verified. There's some stuff they check before you start, but I'm not sure what it is, maybe fingerprints or tax filing.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:42:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
FedSoupJay on 10/19/2016(UTC), PJ79 on 10/19/2016(UTC)
FedSoupJay  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:10:29 AM(UTC)
FedSoupJay

United States

Should I expect a final offer before my start date of october 31st? I know that BSC has hired nearly 300 people in this section and that's why I can't seem to connect with HR.
PJ79  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:18:28 AM(UTC)
PJ79

United States

Should I expect a final offer before my start date of october 31st? I know that BSC has hired nearly 300 people in this section and that's why I can't seem to connect with HR.

Hi and congrats! I would say that you should definitely receive your firm offer before your start date. I have received mine and my start date is not until Nov. :)

Edited by user Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:19:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked PJ79 for this useful post.
FedSoupJay on 10/19/2016(UTC)
spence  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:27:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 39 post(s)
You should get a final offer before you start, but it might not be until a couple days before the start date.

(And if you don't hear anything, you should show up there at the IRS on the first day anyway to find out for sure. People can fall through the cracks, or the offer or other communication might get sent to Spam by your email.)

Edited by user Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:32:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ClassicBlue  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:57:16 AM(UTC)
ClassicBlue

Thanks for all the info! This forum is so helpful but also a bit scary, seeing how much there is to learn about having a job with the government. I've been reading the posts about furlough control and I can't tell if people love it or hate it. Any advice for a seasonal employee to make this job work, no matter the furlough situation? Any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Furlough is a tough situation. You never know how long or short your season is. Most cases we are working minimally 4 months, usually goes longer depending on budget and call volume. Our managers are usually super helpful in helping us prepare for furlough, including reminding you to print out pay stubs (which you will need to provide to unemployment to try and speed up the process), annual reviews, etc... I'm not sure about unemployment where you are but you mentioned BSC so I'm assuming NY like me. You can get unemployment for 6 months out of each year. As a seasonal, you are not required to look for work (as you have a guaranteed job that you are going back to). Living on unemployment vs getting regular pay check is something you will have to figure out. For me, unemployment (without any taxes taken out) is a little less than half of what my monthly pay would be if I were working regular 40 hours.

As a seasonal employee and as per our contract, we have to be furloughed for at least one pay period (2 weeks) each year. So even if there is a lot of work, that 2 weeks off has to be there. Hope that helps.
thanks 1 user thanked ClassicBlue for this useful post.
FedSoupJay on 10/26/2016(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:18:06 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: ClassicBlue Go to Quoted Post

Furlough is a tough situation. You never know how long or short your season is. Most cases we are working minimally 4 months, usually goes longer depending on budget and call volume. Our managers are usually super helpful in helping us prepare for furlough, including reminding you to print out pay stubs (which you will need to provide to unemployment to try and speed up the process), annual reviews, etc... I'm not sure about unemployment where you are but you mentioned BSC so I'm assuming NY like me. You can get unemployment for 6 months out of each year. As a seasonal, you are not required to look for work (as you have a guaranteed job that you are going back to). Living on unemployment vs getting regular pay check is something you will have to figure out. For me, unemployment (without any taxes taken out) is a little less than half of what my monthly pay would be if I were working regular 40 hours.

As a seasonal employee and as per our contract, we have to be furloughed for at least one pay period (2 weeks) each year. So even if there is a lot of work, that 2 weeks off has to be there. Hope that helps.

This truly does vary by the state you're located in. CSRs at Cleveland pretty much have to look every week every time we go on furlough as Ohio's rules say we need to be guaranteed to be returning to work within 12 weeks. Even with the folks who just got furloughed last Friday, there was no guarantee of a specified return date. The kick-off to filing season should be in 13 weeks so I couldn't truthfully say I have a guarantee of being back in 12. With all the radical changes that happened this month I'm not quite sure what the strategy will be on return dates as management wasn't saying.

Missouri's rules tightened up a bit which impacts the folks at Kansas City Service Center. There was action in the Ohio Senate that was going to do something similar to us too. NYS has it pretty easy in this regard.
ClassicBlue  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:57:16 AM(UTC)
ClassicBlue

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

This truly does vary by the state you're located in. CSRs at Cleveland pretty much have to look every week every time we go on furlough as Ohio's rules say we need to be guaranteed to be returning to work within 12 weeks. Even with the folks who just got furloughed last Friday, there was no guarantee of a specified return date. The kick-off to filing season should be in 13 weeks so I couldn't truthfully say I have a guarantee of being back in 12. With all the radical changes that happened this month I'm not quite sure what the strategy will be on return dates as management wasn't saying.

Missouri's rules tightened up a bit which impacts the folks at Kansas City Service Center. There was action in the Ohio Senate that was going to do something similar to us too. NYS has it pretty easy in this regard.

For us here at the Buffalo site :) we have to be "phone ready" by MLK Bday (January 18th), so regardless of when we furlough, we know we will be recalled for the new season in January. Hope for earlier but definitely by then. Also, I'm sorry that I should have indicated my info is only applicable to my site. We are listed under BSC, however, I didn't realize there were different rules for different sites. I was advised 2 weeks mandated furlough as per union contract but didn't realize some areas have mandated recall times. So LieutenantBlantyre's info is way more reliable than mine. And you'll learn what applies to your site soon enough :)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:15:54 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

For us here at the Buffalo site :) we have to be "phone ready" by MLK Bday (January 18th), so regardless of when we furlough, we know we will be recalled for the new season in January. Hope for earlier but definitely by then. Also, I'm sorry that I should have indicated my info is only applicable to my site. We are listed under BSC, however, I didn't realize there were different rules for different sites. I was advised 2 weeks mandated furlough as per union contract but didn't realize some areas have mandated recall times. So LieutenantBlantyre's info is way more reliable than mine. And you'll learn what applies to your site soon enough :)

Yeah, I just re-checked my departure memo. It says not one word as to a specific recall date which is why I couldn't give one to Ohio's unemployment authorities. We're left open-ended at Cleveland. 13 weeks from today puts us at MLK's birthday which is when filing season should start but that has slipped to the end of January before. I know the projected date the new hires are supposed to show up to start training and I won't be there to see them. With the projected app they're to be trained on in Cleveland after the balance due realignment and with balance due being an "antique skill" now much like tax law, it may vary as to who is needed when in our case as refresher may not be nearly that long. The workload changed quite a bit after the realignment started and I assume with all the hiring ACS has been doing lately that there are still changes to come.
ClassicBlue  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:01:50 PM(UTC)
ClassicBlue

Yeah, I just re-checked my departure memo. It says not one word as to a specific recall date which is why I couldn't give one to Ohio's unemployment authorities. We're left open-ended at Cleveland. 13 weeks from today puts us at MLK's birthday which is when filing season should start but that has slipped to the end of January before. I know the projected date the new hires are supposed to show up to start training and I won't be there to see them. With the projected app they're to be trained on in Cleveland after the balance due realignment and with balance due being an "antique skill" now much like tax law, it may vary as to who is needed when in our case as refresher may not be nearly that long. The workload changed quite a bit after the realignment started and I assume with all the hiring ACS has been doing lately that there are still changes to come.

We were told to still expect bal due skill up as app 20 is still going to be taking bal due calls as normal. At least, until further notice... :/

FedSoupJay  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:02:44 PM(UTC)
FedSoupJay

United States

Thanks for all the information! I got in touch with BSC HR assistant yesterday and promptly received the firm offer in my spam folder. Here comes orientation on Halloween! Should I go with a costume? Uncle Sam, you think? ;)
thanks 1 user thanked FedSoupJay for this useful post.
PJ79 on 10/26/2016(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:20:39 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Thanks for all the information! I got in touch with BSC HR assistant yesterday and promptly received the firm offer in my spam folder. Here comes orientation on Halloween! Should I go with a costume? Uncle Sam, you think? ;)

Good luck. You're in for a wild ride.
organicskw  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2022 11:14:40 AM(UTC)
organicskw

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I haven't received my Eqip invitation yet and my due date is 1/10 which was pushed back from Sept. What do I do or who can I contact about this? I don't want to go pass the deadline, I'm just ready to go
teeeeej  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2022 11:18:26 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: organicskw Go to Quoted Post
I haven't received my Eqip invitation yet and my due date is 1/10 which was pushed back from Sept. What do I do or who can I contact about this? I don't want to go pass the deadline, I'm just ready to go

Bumping an ancient thread with outdated info likely isn't going to help anyone.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed