Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Snarky  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:10:39 PM(UTC)
Snarky

Groups: Registered

Haven't got much out of HR, was wondering if anyone has more info. I'm one of the ones who got and responded to an informal email offering me a position in NRCS, I accepted but as soon as I did, wham!! the freeze was announced. HR hasen't been able to give me much info except that I'm in with a bunch of people that are last on the priority to get moving on. I'm just hoping that I won't lose the slot, I applied last JULY and they just got to offering it to me! Oh and how is it working for NRCS, I would be coming from DCMA DOD and want to do it because it corresponds with my college work (Environmental Science). Its for a Management Analyst slot.

Thanks all!
fedomatic  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:12:15 PM(UTC)
fedomatic

United States

USDA has given very little guidance to its agencies about the freeze. That's probably why HR can't tell you anything. If you got a tentative offer before the freeze, it should remain open, but no further action can be taken in most cases. There are limited exceptions to the freeze for public safety or national security, but again, without guidance as to what would positions would qualify. Agencies have put in requests for exceptions, but I haven't heard of any being granted. You could ask HR if they've requested an exception for you. If not, you are waiting at least 90 days from Jan 22. At that point, you will have two challenges. One is that OMB is supposed to create a new plan to reduce the government by attrition and two is that there will be budget cuts. Either one of these could result in the position being pulled. One advantage you have is that NRCS is not one of the agencies being targeted, so cuts may be relatively manageable.
rb88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:02:57 AM(UTC)
rb88

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Snarky I don't have any answers about what's going on with HR, however I can give you some insight into what it's like to work for the NRCS. I worked in two states at their field offices as soil conservationist trainee full time. Honestly, it was a great job especially for environmental science. We had a lot of field work but during cooler months and mostly after harvest season you stay inside to handle paperwork. So I'd say you'd get about a 50/50 field and office ratio. State wise the agency is relatively small which is good because you kind of know all of your contacts. HR is not in house so that can be problematic when trying to get information or contact the correct person to handle an issue. The only thing I did not like about the agency was increase in pay opportunities were limited. Your grade level can stay the same if you are unwilling to move and there aren't many GS 12 and up positions available for the position I was in. I'm not sure how much that affects a Management Analyst, but that was just my experience. But overall it's a very good agency and the training was great for me. I hope that helps.
444kairos  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:40:15 AM(UTC)
444kairos

United States

Rb88 thanks for the reply, yes I couldn't entirely wrap my head around what a Management Analyst for NRCS does, I mean, i'm in the contract world but DOD obviously is entirely different, but I need job experience in the environmental realm, I just hope NRCS won't be making the target list for getting whittled down as the new administration wants to do. Makes me a little nervous, but they've offered a paid move so they must feel the slot is important enough.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed