Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Labor

The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.

In carrying out this mission, the Department administers a variety of Federal labor laws including those that guarantee workers' rights to safe and healthful working conditions; a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay; freedom from employment discrimination; unemployment insurance; and other income support. (DOL's mission statement)

Perhaps you are working for the DOL or interested in working for the DOL. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOL.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
des2ny  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:07:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I've submitted all documentation necessary to process my schedule award and I just saw on the OWCP website the status is 44 - 2011-11-08 Entitled - SA - Payment Pending Certification. Does this mean I will be receiving my schedule award as soon as the payment is certified and if so how long does this take? Please advise thanks.
lynn mccullough  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:44:55 AM(UTC)
dortch999

You need to work with an advocacy group called:  ADVOCATES FOR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES (AFGE) LOCATED IN CHERRY HILL, NJ.  i INJURED MYSELF ON THE JOB WORKING FOR TSA 8 YEARS AGO AND HAD AN HORRENDOUS GO THRU WITH OWCP.  DENIALS, DELAYS, LOWER CLAIMS FINDSING, ETC, ETC.  I FOUND THESE PEOPLE ON THE NET AND THEY DEALT WITH ALL THE PAPERWORK WITH OWCP AND ALL THE FOLLOWUPS.  THEY HAVE THEIR OWN DOCTORS THAT WILL FURTHER EVALUATE THE FINDINGS OF YOUR DOCTORS.  I AM COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH THE ADDITIONAL AWARDS SETTLEMENT GRANTED THRU THEIR ADVOCACY WITH OWCP.  TRY THEM, I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND THEM EXTREMELY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO.    THEY ONLY DEAL WITH  OWCP  NO OTHER AGENCY.
Lefty33  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 10:45:47 PM(UTC)

My attorney, who is now retired, told me years ago if I want to apply for my scheduled award to do so, but that I could also go back to my active status of getting my medical care and monthly payments at any time.
Has any one had that experience? I am hesitant to rock the boat and lose my monthly income by applying for the scheduled award.
He was a great attorney and did a great job on my case. I am just not sure if I remember him correctly.
edalder  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:19:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 164 post(s)
It would help to know a bit more about your current situation with OWCP. Do you receive wage loss benefits from OWCP? Or are you retired and just receiving an annuity from OPM, but you get medical care for your work injury paid for by OWCP? Or are you back at work, but get periodic medical care for the work injury.

If you currently receive OWCP wage loss benefits, you can apply for a scheduled award. In all likelihood, the scheduled award would merely replace the OWCP wage loss benefits for the duration of the award and then you could go back to OWCP wage loss benefits. However, if you are eligible for your OPM retirement or you are back to work on a full time basis, you can get the scheduled award (SA) in addition to your annuity or your salary, something that generally does not happen with OWCP wage loss benefits unless these wage loss benefits are partial ones for a loss of wage earning capacity, commonly known as an LWEC and that would only be an issue if you working. If you are retired you do have to choose between the LWEC or OWCP temporary total disability (TTD) benefits and your OPM annuity. . If you do get an LWEC or TTD, these payments will be stopped during the period of the scheduled award. SA benefits generally are higher than LWEC payments.

If you are eligible for an OPM retirement or back to work, you can ask that the scheduled award be paid to you in a lump sum versus being spread out over several weeks, months (or even years in some cases). There is a discount for advance payment and you will not receive OWCP wage loss benefits until the original expiration date of the SA. But, it can be one way to get a nice lump sum of money up front if your percentage is relatively high. If you are not back to work and not eligible for a retirement benefit, OWCP will not pay this lump sum.

I do not think merely applying for that SA will rock the boat with OWCP. It happens all the time. Sometimes getting OPM stopped and OWCP wage loss restarted after the expiration of the SA is a bit of headache, but that is the only possible glitch that I can see.

If you are working for the FEDS and merely getting that LWEC benefit, I personally would wait until I retired to apply because the LWEC would be stopped during the period of the award. You would get more money overall, if you waited.

Kivi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed