Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NorCal  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 8:03:48 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Being relatively new to the FED, I'm not very knowledgeable regarding the in's and out's of details and temp promotional positions. I've been in contact with another forest who is looking for someone in my gov series for a NTE-120 day position. However, I'm being told to tread cautiously because each unit flies their outreaches differently; some pay for housing and per diem, others do not and vice versus.

Anyone knowledgeable about the in's and out's of this? I don't want to take a detail just to learn that I'd have to cover both a mortgage payment back home and a rent payment simultaneously.

Also, what questions should I be asking relative to this situation?
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
thalweg  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:52:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
My recommendation is to just ask the person that you have been in contact with at the other Forest. Sometimes there is clear language about this topic in the outreach notice and other times there is not. Many people will accept temporary promotions to gain experience and further their careers even if they don't get per diem. Sometimes they even have room in the bunkhouse.
NorCal  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 7:57:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Status update:

I received a job offer for a NTE 120 detail. Problem being, after one week I am truly regretting the decision of taking on this detail and I'm looking into the ramifications of resigning said position. My motivation for doing so is multifaceted; after the initial 30 days my per diem will be cut down to 55% and the cost of living where I'm working will force me to lose money. I wish I would have realized this early on, but I guess I didn't take all things into account on my first detailed position. Second, the forest I'm assigned to is very dysfunctional and the position is a real drag. I wish I could put lipstick on a pig, but it is what it is.

My real concern, is because I was hired under VRA, I'm still on probation even though I've been with the FS for over a year, I just don't know if I should tough it out on that account, or if there is some unforeseen ramifications if I decide to resign and go back to my home unit.

Any input would be appreciated. I hate quitting something I stated, but this detail is a step in the wrong direction if hindsight is 20/20.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
TheUnderverse15  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 8:51:26 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NorCal Go to Quoted Post
Status update:

I received a job offer for a NTE 120 detail. Problem being, after one week I am truly regretting the decision of taking on this detail and I'm looking into the ramifications of resigning said position. My motivation for doing so is multifaceted; after the initial 30 days my per diem will be cut down to 55% and the cost of living where I'm working will force me to lose money. I wish I would have realized this early on, but I guess I didn't take all things into account on my first detailed position. Second, the forest I'm assigned to is very dysfunctional and the position is a real drag. I wish I could put lipstick on a pig, but it is what it is.

My real concern, is because I was hired under VRA, I'm still on probation even though I've been with the FS for over a year, I just don't know if I should tough it out on that account, or if there is some unforeseen ramifications if I decide to resign and go back to my home unit.

Any input would be appreciated. I hate quitting something I stated, but this detail is a step in the wrong direction if hindsight is 20/20.

I knew someone that took a detail and regretted it after 30 days. She just went to management and asked if she could be released, ended up taking someone else from our office to do the detail. Might wanna ask supervisor about returning back to your position.
daves  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 7:02:04 PM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Temp promotions/details frequently must be advertised. It's the rules.
If you see an advertisement with sending unit pays per diem and mileage it often means there is a local candidate pegged for the slot and do not want an outsider applying.

Unfair? Yes. But if you are the local given the temp promotion you think it is fine. I have been on both sides of the game.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed