Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
specialops  
#21 Posted : Sunday, April 09, 2017 4:29:58 AM(UTC)
specialops

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 31

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
no problem
BackGdInvestigator  
#22 Posted : Sunday, April 09, 2017 2:05:57 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/23/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,719

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
The quick hire after the interview stories are probably previously cleared personnel.

-Special OPS, if you are still reading the forum, here is some quick advice:
1. Take along a mouse for your laptop, it will help. I also brought a keyboard for the evening computer work.
2. Bring an empty notebook binder. You will get a 3" inch binder but it will help you to separate the manuals during the course of instruction.
3. Don't goof off or take the course lightly. The course is fast paced and there is a lot to this profession that many don't know. My class lost about 1/4 of the students from test failures. With that in mind, don't stress, learn the language and how to quickly look up the material. Most of the tests are open book, but you don't have a lot of time for the test.
4. Find the contractor(s) in your class who jumped to the Federal side, if you have one in your class. Ask them a lot of questions.
5. Last bit of wisdom, cooperate and graduate. Find your cohort and help each other.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
OHJeepster on 4/9/2017(UTC)
specialops  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 6:24:44 AM(UTC)
specialops

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 31

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
i sae your post and sent you a pm.Thank You. I also went and got a keyboard and a mouse yesterday.

By the way I got a email stating we were getting gov vehicles next week..
eaglecc  
#24 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 6:44:17 PM(UTC)
eaglecc

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 4
Location: Baltimore

Originally Posted by: BackGdInvestigator Go to Quoted Post
The quick hire after the interview stories are probably previously cleared personnel.

-Special OPS, if you are still reading the forum, here is some quick advice:
1. Take along a mouse for your laptop, it will help. I also brought a keyboard for the evening computer work.
2. Bring an empty notebook binder. You will get a 3" inch binder but it will help you to separate the manuals during the course of instruction.
3. Don't goof off or take the course lightly. The course is fast paced and there is a lot to this profession that many don't know. My class lost about 1/4 of the students from test failures. With that in mind, don't stress, learn the language and how to quickly look up the material. Most of the tests are open book, but you don't have a lot of time for the test.
4. Find the contractor(s) in your class who jumped to the Federal side, if you have one in your class. Ask them a lot of questions.
5. Last bit of wisdom, cooperate and graduate. Find your cohort and help each other.



This is great advice for any newbies. Especially #3!

Inspector14  
#25 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 11:29:14 AM(UTC)
Inspector14

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2017(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States
Location: Hampton, Virginia

Thanks: 1 times
Hello there! First off congrats on the job!
I have applied to about 7 Investigator postings in the last 2 months and just got my first referral on USAjobs! The posts said that they are looking make job offers within 40 days of job closing. Is this accurate? What steps in the firing process are there? What should I expect if my referral gets considered by OPM? Any information or advice would be helpful!


CRJ@vet  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 2:09:14 PM(UTC)
CRJ@vet

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/2/2017(UTC)
Posts: 3
Woman
United States
Location: Virginia

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Inspector14 Go to Quoted Post
Hello there! First off congrats on the job!
I have applied to about 7 Investigator postings in the last 2 months and just got my first referral on USAjobs! The posts said that they are looking make job offers within 40 days of job closing. Is this accurate? What steps in the firing process are there? What should I expect if my referral gets considered by OPM? Any information or advice would be helpful!




Hello,

I don't believe the 40 days is accurate. I was referred March 15 and I have not heard a thing. The job posting closed 55 days ago. Hope to hear something soon and staying positive...lol.
Inspector14  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:54:02 PM(UTC)
Inspector14

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2017(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States
Location: Hampton, Virginia

Thanks: 1 times
Can anyone tell me if OPM is conducting phone interviews as well as face to face for these positions? I have applied all over the place and although I have been referred to all positions, I have yet to receive a phone call or email about interviews.
Northcountry  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:11:43 PM(UTC)
Northcountry

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/22/2017(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States
Location: Northern, NY

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
CrjVet & Inspector14: The 40 days, is typically what they shoot for. OPM's own rule for them and for other agencies is the "80 day hiring model" which is the amount of time from when the posting opens until a tentative selection is made (40 days to announce and canvass and another 40 days rob review applications, hold interviews and then select). **This is not a 100% precise, but you get the idea. . . However with a change in administration and hiring freeze, I think all bets for "the hiring model" are off.

My speculation is some of the quicker experiences seem to be occurring on and near the southern border where a strong DHS presence is being canvassed for . . .

I applied for VT and Northern, NY, was referred several months ago and still heard nothing. My guess is they're just slightly back logged at HR and are going to pack as many classes back to back as they can juggle.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:20:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Northcountry for this useful post.
CRJ@vet on 4/27/2017(UTC)
MrC  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:43:06 PM(UTC)
MrC

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2017(UTC)
Posts: 79
Man
United States

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Ha ha. No one gets a job in only 40 days, or even 80.

So once I applied to a position early last May. I don't recall the exact dates at this point but it doesn't matter because I didn't get the job. The first interview was in late June (~45ish days). The second interview was in late July (~75ish days). In early September (~110ish days?) I got the e-mail that said I didn't get the job. If that was a TO, add at least a month for the background check (~140ish days?) before it's a FO. EOD would be at least 3 weeks but you have a job right now, you'd have to get it pushed back to give you time to quit the old job, find an apartment/start a mortgage, perform the move, and finally start working there (~160-~188ish days).

Expect 6 months, and that's assuming you're successful. If a clearance is involved, the background check would be likely six months, not one. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I believe I have described realistic expectations.

If you're extremely lucky and the perfect "purple squirrel," you might be able to get something in the private sector in 3-4 months but I wouldn't count on it.
Ben
hireme  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:55:42 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/28/2012(UTC)
Posts: 79

Originally Posted by: Inspector14 Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone tell me if OPM is conducting phone interviews as well as face to face for these positions? I have applied all over the place and although I have been referred to all positions, I have yet to receive a phone call or email about interviews.



Unfortunately not. The only exception is that you travel to a local field office and they will set up a conference call. All interviews must be done in person at a field office be it face-to-face or telephonically.

Relocation assistance is not offered nor can it be negotiated. You must relocate yourself within a 30 air mile radius of the field office you are assigned.

(unofficially: LOCAL candidates are preferred)

All the effort applying all over the country is in a way wasted. Narrow your focus. Good luck
Inspector14  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:04:03 PM(UTC)
Inspector14

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2017(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States
Location: Hampton, Virginia

Thanks: 1 times
What experience are you basing your reply on? Have you been through this process with this agency?
Northcountry  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:39:35 PM(UTC)
Northcountry

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/22/2017(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States
Location: Northern, NY

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Inspector14 Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone tell me if OPM is conducting phone interviews as well as face to face for these positions? I have applied all over the place and although I have been referred to all positions, I have yet to receive a phone call or email about interviews.


Inspector 14, I wouldn't lose sleep about it yet. I think these just take time. . .

I think there's a priority on filling certain critical geographic areas first. And there's just a large backlog of hiring. If you follow some of the other forums for law enforcement (door kicking) positions like ATF, DHS, FBI and even BP and CBPO, there are many LEO candidates who've been waiting for BI's for 6 or more months. Hence the need to hire many OPM Investigators (which in itself takes time).

Somebody else commented that folks who are "cleared" may be the ones getting fast-tracked. Perhaps that is the case too. In many circumstances the cleared folks are also already Vets and are probably easier or quicker to hire because they can be appointed non-competitively.

I think I read somewhere that they only take 25 or 30 trainees at a time to slippery rock. So, hopefully many of us will hear more in the coming weeks 😲
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.014 seconds.