Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2017 11:00:59 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 332 time(s) in 296 post(s)
Nothing new to report... just got tired of seeing my old "BRAC 2016" topic showing up.

Is the hiring freeze taking over from BRAC for 2017? And beyond?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
djp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 5:50:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Due to president twits policy.....

What is likely to happen is something similar where agencies that have multiple locations could do consolidation of offices.

For example some agencies may have 6-10 regional offices and these would be the likely candidates to get downsized.

For example VA has 18 regionAl offices of the country consisting of hospitals (about 6-9 in each area). They could decide to go from 18 to 8-10.

FEMALE has 10 regional offices, they could reduce to 6.

GSA has about 10 area offices and an east wrst usa regional officee. They could do a way wit the regional 9f gives and cut down the 10 area offices to sat 5 or 6.

Similar work can be done in other agencies.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:13:18 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Those consolidations are not in DoD and so would not count as BRAC... but would also not require the kind of congressional approval needed for BRAC.
djp  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:43:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Theoretically is BRAC necessary in DoD to close a bas3...no. the military could decide to move units elsewhere thus resulting in the base closing without congressional spproval.

Any c9nsolidation of the dort I mention will end up going through congress. Do you recall the post office wanting to close post office l8cations???
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:13:43 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Theoretically is BRAC necessary in DoD to close a bas3...no. the military could decide to move units elsewhere thus resulting in the base closing without congressional spproval.

Any c9nsolidation of the dort I mention will end up going through congress. Do you recall the post office wanting to close post office l8cations???

I think that DoD would agree with you. I seem to recall seeing articles saying that DoD feels they have the authority to close bases.

The reason for BRAC (as I understand it) is to get additional funding to close the bases and move people around. You see, it is necessary to spend money to save money! Even if you don't end up saving a whole lot unless you stretch the timeline out for like thirty years.

In the meantime, how about closing bases in Europe?
ManagerialMan  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:50:54 AM(UTC)
ManagerialMan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post

I think that DoD would agree with you. I seem to recall seeing articles saying that DoD feels they have the authority to close bases.

The reason for BRAC (as I understand it) is to get additional funding to close the bases and move people around. You see, it is necessary to spend money to save money! Even if you don't end up saving a whole lot unless you stretch the timeline out for like thirty years.

In the meantime, how about closing bases in Europe?

Speaking of bases abroad, are we paying those countries to have our bases there? Or is it a "I scratch your back you scratch mine" type of deal?
someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:08:08 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: ManagerialMan Go to Quoted Post
Speaking of bases abroad, are we paying those countries to have our bases there? Or is it a "I scratch your back you scratch mine" type of deal?

It is my understanding that we do not pay rent for the base. Some of the bases mentioned in that article are RAF bases in the UK; I don't think the British are closing their base, but we are consolidating our activities at one base.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed