Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
25 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CPAGuy1986  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:20:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lordoftheflies Go to Quoted Post
Do you happen to know which location she received a TO for? I'm wondering if the DCAA have a centralized HR function, or each office or region operates on its own. I've read somewhere on this forum that the DCAA have a centralized HR function though.

You may have read this from me on another post. Which is because that is what I heard DCAA did after their reorganization a little while back. While I am sure there are still HR people in every Region, I would say the offer process and on boarding process were centralized which makes sense for efficiency.

When I first got on, DCAA had each region do their own on boarding which made it very hectic, because a person from HQ handed me off to an HR person in my region. And when I had multiple offers for different Regions because the announcement was for multiple locations, dealing with 3-5 HR people trying to determine which location I wanted was a bit stressful. Things should be smoother this go around. Hope that helps.
slowpoke  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:33:05 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
During the interview are you told if your chosen location(s) are satellite offices, or if the site would primarily with one contractor? What about what type of security clearance do you need? What if someone can have a sensitive or secret but not too secret because of credit or a twenty year old misdemeanor? Do they reassign you or do they show you the door?

Edited by user Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:33:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CPAGuy1986  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:47:36 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
During the interview are you told if your chosen location(s) are satellite offices, or if the site would primarily with one contractor? What about what type of security clearance do you need? What if someone can have a sensitive or secret but not too secret because of credit or a twenty year old misdemeanor? Do they reassign you or do they show you the door?

They will probably not tell you what the locations that you selected are because the panel of interviewers may not know if its a Field Office or Resident Site. That would be more a question for HR during offer time. My apologies but I cannot really answer any questions about clearance because I just do not know. My best advice is be truthful in everything and hope for the best. If you cannot get passed the clearance portion, which is a qualification for the job, I would assume they would separate.
Jason Johnston  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:17:36 AM(UTC)
Jason Johnston

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I emailed my HR rep today to find out what location I was selected for. I interviewed and had to list my three areas in order I would prefer to live. I chose 1. Marietta Ga 2. Huntsville Al 3. Nashville Tn. She said I was selected for Huntsville Alabama.
fedsoup6  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:01:05 AM(UTC)
fedsoup6

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For me, I listed 2 locations on my application and then they told me to pick one, which is where I interviewed at virtually on videocam back in Jan/Feb of this year.

I still haven't received any correspondence since the last one about the fingerprint/hiring freeze. I thought they would email something by now since the freeze was lifted last week. I am hoping to hear something soon, at least an acceptance or a denial so I decide what to do job-wise.

Has anyone gotten anything back yet or emailed them?

Edited by user Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:02:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jason Johnston  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:05:23 AM(UTC)
Jason Johnston

Man
United States

Email your hr rep. You either have been selected for a specific slot at a specific location, or you will have to reapply to the new job announcements. I have had very quick responses the two times I have emailed my rep over the last couple months.
pudding  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:25:04 AM(UTC)
Renee205

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Jason you will like Huntsville. I was born and raised in Alabama. My HR has been very responsive as well. She emailed me back the same day.
ADDRocks  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:22:54 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jason Johnston Go to Quoted Post
The senior auditor said if you come in as a gs-7 you will be a gs-12 in 3 years. After year one your a 9, year 2 11, year 3 12.

That's how it works when you win supervisor roulette. I wasn't delayed on any promotions, but people who started the same time as me under another supervisor got delayed an extra year. It isn't very consistent across the agency since they ditched the checklist for promotion. By your second year you'll know what kind of supervisor you have and whether you might want to switch teams in the office.
slowpoke  
#49 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:27:44 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
For those who are in the agency is it possible to transfer between offices once you are in, how bout details?
CPAGuy1986  
#50 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:57:51 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
For those who are in the agency is it possible to transfer between offices once you are in, how bout details?

Yes you can transfer offices, but it hinges on layers of management approval of both the losing office and the gaining office. Both RAMs (Regional Audit Manager) need to sign off, which in some cases like the environment we are in now, is less and less likely to happen. Unless it was for a hardship, I didn't really see transfers during my time there. There was a guy I worked with that wanted to transfer close to his home to be closer to his fiancé and plan his wedding, and they would not grant the transfer. So he left the agency altogether.

Another one of my friends from a different office, transferred because her dad had a blood clot enter his brain(or something like that, I am not medically inclined) and was put on indefinite life support until she could come back home and say good bye, and the agency allowed the switch then. So each case is different depending on the situation, managers, etc. Let me know if you would like any other specific details, I can try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
slowpoke on 4/20/2017(UTC)
fedsoup6  
#51 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:30:58 PM(UTC)
fedsoup6

United States

So as an update, contacted HR and told me they are still waiting on guidance before they can release any TOs.
But even so, shouldn't they be releasing final offers instead of tentative offers since the freeze is no longer active?
Jason Johnston  
#52 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:33:31 PM(UTC)
Jason Johnston

Man
United States

They send a tentative offer, then do a criminal history, drug test, credit check and so on. If you pass those then they give you a final offer.
thanks 2 users thanked Jason Johnston for this useful post.
fedsoup6 on 4/20/2017(UTC), Rafles on 4/21/2017(UTC)
IAuditStuff  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:29:58 PM(UTC)
IAuditStuff

United States

Has anyone who received the email about too many candidates for some locations received any further communications since that one?
lordoftheflies  
#54 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:39:50 PM(UTC)
lordoftheflies

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I didn't receive the email about too many candidates. The last email I received was about the fingerprint card. Since then, not only I haven't heard from them, but when I emailed, they didn't even respond. I was left wondering if the HR person is still working there.
IAuditStuff  
#55 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:53:07 PM(UTC)
IAuditStuff

United States

I didn't receive the email about too many candidates. The last email I received was about the fingerprint card. Since then, not only I haven't heard from them, but when I emailed, they didn't even respond. I was left wondering if the HR person is still working there.

Yeah, I emailed that HR person a couple of weeks ago and have yet to hear back. They used to get back to me within an hour or two.
fedsoup6  
#56 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:23:31 PM(UTC)
fedsoup6

United States

Originally Posted by: IAuditStuff Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, I emailed that HR person a couple of weeks ago and have yet to hear back. They used to get back to me within an hour or two.

They are still waiting for guidance on my last email to HR.
I have not received anything up to date. I think it will be a bit of a wait since everything trickles from the top and the government is about to shutdown.
macfedworker  
#57 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:38:23 PM(UTC)
macfedworker

^Actually the shutdown just got avoided with a congressional approval of the budget through September. Hopefully that will improve our chances of hearing sooner rather than later.
Jessica Phar  
#58 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 4:47:41 AM(UTC)
Jessica Phar

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Same here. I last heard from HR on the 12th when I asked about the freeze being lifted. I was told they were waiting for the green light from the DoD and that I should be hearing from them shortly. Got the fingerprint card on the 22nd but have not heard from HR after sending an email and a voice mail message to her number. Fingerprints are done and ready to go. Just waiting for the green light I guess.
Jason Johnston  
#59 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 8:19:19 AM(UTC)
Jason Johnston

Man
United States

I just received a phone call HR asking me if I was still interested in a GS-7 position at Huntsville Alabama. I said yes and she told me I will receive my TO email within 24 hours.
Jessica Phar  
#60 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 8:36:05 AM(UTC)
Jessica Phar

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Jason,

Which HR rep did you deal with? I am going for the position here in Groton, CT and have been dealing with HR out of Massachusetts. Anyone else communication with them?

Edited by user Tuesday, May 02, 2017 4:47:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed