Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
baronzb  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:43:17 AM(UTC)
baronzb

Groups: Registered

I'm a relatively new grad and thinking of applying for a fed contracting job, eventually direct hire. I don't know if the contract background check (Public Trust only), which i plan to leave off the termination (HR has an official rehire and resign), will be a problem five years later, when i plan to reapply to the fed gov (SF85p has a limit of five years of history that they check, correct?). I am a mid-level health professional that would only require an SF85 or SF85p. I was thinking DoD, but that appears to require a security clearance, which would uncover the boss threatening to push me out at one job--hence the resign.

Should I just wait for five years to let the 'termination' at the private company fall off, so I don't have to report it? Additionally, how are old fed background checks used for future fed applicants and their background checks (in relation to the contract job)? TIme is of the essence, as I am an older grad without a family. Thank you.
misho09  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:27:56 AM(UTC)
misho09

United States

I think you may not have to worry about listing your terminated employment especially if it was not due to misconduct or security violation but rather due to layoff or poor performance. Besides it sounds like you stopped working because you resigned? You don't have to say to your new employer anything more than it was just not a good fit and I do not think background check investigators would care you resigned for some reason. They would care if you were fired for gross misconduct or data security breach due to liberate, conscious violation of the company policies.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:29:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:46:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: misho09 Go to Quoted Post
I think you may not have to worry about listing your terminated employment especially if it was not due to misconduct or security violation but rather due to layoff or poor performance. Besides it sounds like you stopped working because you resigned? You don't have to say to your new employer anything more than it was just not a good fit and I do not think background check investigators would care you resigned for some reason. They would care if you were fired for gross misconduct or data security breach due to liberate, conscious violation of the company policies.

I believe there is a questions that asks if you resigned to avoid being terminated. But as long as it wasn't for criminal or violence or security issues, it generally isn't an issue as long as you are honest about it.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:26:54 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 910 time(s) in 763 post(s)
People get fired, it happens. In fact I think there is an article about this on clearancejobs.com. I agree with @frankgonzalez, it generally is not an issue. And these days, many companies are reluctant to say anything more than "misho99 worked here from April 2014 to August 2016" that is, verify your employment and not much else.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
baronzb  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 1:24:04 PM(UTC)
baronzb

How many resigns in lieu of termination can one receive before the background check people axe one?

I'm also concerned about the background check. I have resign issue as an intern that will expire in a year (past the five year mark).It was a sketchy incident. My student status lapsed, which was contingent on my intern employment. I told my manager about it. He didnt tell anyone else. The higher manager quit. A new one came on, discovered the lapse in student status and accused me of misleading the company. My student status came back five months later.

In addition to a recent resign (officially for performance) would it be better to wait a year for the student intern thing to fall off instead of go forward with the staffing company VA position?

How punative are these background checks for public trust and secret? What's the line with resign in lieu of termination?
GSBS  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:47:23 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 262 post(s)
Originally Posted by: baronzb Go to Quoted Post
How many resigns in lieu of termination can one receive before the background check people axe one?

How punative are these background checks for public trust and secret? What's the line with resign in lieu of termination?
Each one raises a Red flag despite your reasoning. I'd say the answer would be Zero. These background checks can make no sense at all, I was asked about my bottled water use. The most amazing question however was why did I leave the last position I was working at. When I explained I needed to leave that job so I could travel cross country to start my new position with the Government. The Investigator seemed confused~
F/A DC  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:07:18 AM(UTC)
F/A DC

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm a relatively new grad and thinking of applying for a fed contracting job, eventually direct hire. I don't know if the contract background check (Public Trust only), which i plan to leave off the termination (HR has an official rehire and resign), will be a problem five years later, when i plan to reapply to the fed gov (SF85p has a limit of five years of history that they check, correct?). I am a mid-level health professional that would only require an SF85 or SF85p. I was thinking DoD, but that appears to require a security clearance, which would uncover the boss threatening to push me out at one job--hence the resign.

Should I just wait for five years to let the 'termination' at the private company fall off, so I don't have to report it? Additionally, how are old fed background checks used for future fed applicants and their background checks (in relation to the contract job)? TIme is of the essence, as I am an older grad without a family. Thank you.

You have to list it on your form if it occurred in the last 7 years, so your premise is incorrect.

CGNP  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:31:22 PM(UTC)
CGNP

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For DoD healthcare jobs, they ask you if you have ever been terminated from a job...no timeline given. They also ask if you have resigned in lieu of termination. Decision to proceed with the hiring action will all come down to the why...just be honest...lying catches you every time...
baronzb  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 5:36:42 AM(UTC)
baronzb

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post

Each one raises a Red flag despite your reasoning. I'd say the answer would be Zero. These background checks can make no sense at all, I was asked about my bottled water use. The most amazing question however was why did I leave the last position I was working at. When I explained I needed to leave that job so I could travel cross country to start my new position with the Government. The Investigator seemed confused~

What level of background check did you do?
baronzb  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 5:38:09 AM(UTC)
baronzb

Originally Posted by: CGNP Go to Quoted Post
For DoD healthcare jobs, they ask you if you have ever been terminated from a job...no timeline given. They also ask if you have resigned in lieu of termination. Decision to proceed with the hiring action will all come down to the why...just be honest...lying catches you every time...

Can you direct me to those forms? I am only familiar with the SP85?
baronzb  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 5:39:26 AM(UTC)
baronzb

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post

How indepth are the background check that is non-clearance, just a public trust--a healthcare worker at the VA or bureau of prisons? Is DOD civilian different?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed