Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rookieguy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:09:33 PM(UTC)
rookieguy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am an It professional. I have worked on contracting on civilian sector for more than 6 years. I had 2 offers for federal contracting, one from a big 4 , which I cannot join due to family emergency, and other was because of the farm, after the security clearance came through ,let me know that contract is for 4 more months..I have to fill all the sf-85 crap and fingerprinting. huh!. So however, I landed a job with a financial farm here in Midwest. I have some doubt. I want to move to Virginia side and settle down . How does working on federal contracting side feels like? Are Federal contractors treated like crap?I read lot of mixed reviews. Want to know the insight story.I mean say working for Boeing or Lockheed? They work for DoD correct? I plan to move there. However, I was very upset with the companies dishonest way of treating me, hiring me offering me a FTE package and then letting me know that contract is good for 4 months. Is that the norm there ? On civilian side, recruiters were very very honest. The farm was a boutique farm.
TMHTE  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 8:53:09 AM(UTC)
TMHTE

United States

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 109 post(s)
Contracting is great, if you can get and keep a job. The way security clearances are handled for contractors nowadays make a lot of us nervous, which is why so many are trying to become feds now. Better benefits at slightly lower pay and no drama with option years, being hired at will, dealing with some customers who treat you poorly because they know they can, etc. Maybe if another large war kicks off again it'll be great to be a contractor, but for now, I would highly recommend trying to get a secure fed job.
PanchoBarnes  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:58:18 AM(UTC)
PanchoBarnes

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It was dishonest of them to not let you know the gig was over in 4 months. I was laid off at the end of a 14-year contract last fall. We were upfront with anyone we brought on before we knew whether we had won the new contract that the job may only be for X months.

HOWEVER, having a clearance is something special right now. I was told by three separate interviewers that it's taking over a year to get a Secret clearance right now. With a current clearance, you are much more valuable than someone without. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised for contract jobs in my area require a current clearance TO APPLY.
TMHTE  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 5:51:02 PM(UTC)
TMHTE

United States

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 109 post(s)
Indeed. As I have witnessed happen to some of my cohorts, this is the scenario nowadays: serve your country in the military honorably, get hired as a contractor, get laid off with no warning. Get slapped with the dreaded "loss of jurisdiction," watch nobody sponsor you because they only want people with in scope clearances. Thanks for your service, hope you didn't buy a house in the DMV lol.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed