Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

13 Pages«<10111213>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thisguyjc24  
#221 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 5:10:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Interestingly enough, I've been told that former TCO, RA, and ROs struggle the most with this portion. You really have to go in there thinking differently than what you've learned on the civil side of things.

I like when people generalize like that. It's usually correct.

And by correct I mean idiotic.

Some of the best people in my class were internal hires. It's always case by case with the academics.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#222 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 5:21:17 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thisguyjc24 Go to Quoted Post
Interestingly enough, I've been told that former TCO, RA, and ROs struggle the most with this portion. You really have to go in there thinking differently than what you've learned on the civil side of things.

I like when people generalize like that. It's usually correct.

And by correct I mean idiotic.

Some of the best people in my class were internal hires. It's always case by case with the academics.

I am a former TCO of 7 years and this is the advice given to me by other by agents that I've spoken to and a former instructor who happened to see 2 former IRS personnel fail out of SAIT. I personally plan on not being in that category 🤗
BestBy2022  
#223 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 9:20:43 AM(UTC)
BestBy2022

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: academics

I'm now suspicious my mentor was just trying to not terrify me. I'm an academics-achiever type person, though, so I will be studying hard either way.

Thanks for the color on this.
thanks 1 user thanked BestBy2022 for this useful post.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day on 5/2/2017(UTC)
EttaBetta  
#224 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 10:29:36 AM(UTC)
EttaBetta

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So if you fail one of the tests, is that it and you are sent home unemployed?
amillermba  
#225 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 10:37:56 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
In CITP if you get below a 70% you can be dismissed. It's 80% in SAIT. I believe it's generally that if you fail twice you're gone. So you kind of get one grace screw up.

This is one of the reasons why I only completed an internal application. I have no intention of failing, but as an internal applicant, if I do fail, I come right back to my current job.

Don't get me wrong, they've spent a chunk of money on you so far. They aren't going to trick you into failing. But you're gonna have to do your part and it'll be work.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 02, 2017 10:40:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked amillermba for this useful post.
EttaBetta on 5/2/2017(UTC), BestBy2022 on 5/2/2017(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#226 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 11:35:13 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

EttaBetta, I believe you are allowed to retest at least once. If you fail the retest, that is grounds for dismissal SAIT is 80% and CITP is 70%

But if you fail out you are out of the job unless you directly transferred from an IRS position.
thisguyjc24  
#227 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 4:37:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Bottom line? Don't *****ing fail. It's your job. Do your job. The rest will take care of itself.
amillermba  
#228 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 4:57:20 PM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: thisguyjc24 Go to Quoted Post
Bottom line? Don't *****ing fail. It's your job. Do your job. The rest will take care of itself.

Yup. This is what you are getting paid to do. Do it.

At the end of the day, everyone I've ever talked to had said it's worth every minute.
drizzle  
#229 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 9:48:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Received firm offer with salary information today after receiving reporting instructions yesterday. Who's going to be the one to start a June class email chain???
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#230 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 10:05:40 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

I'll shoot you an PM Drizzle. I am texting another user thats coming to the June class! Looks like we will also receive a package from FLETC soon.

One month to go :-)
amillermba  
#231 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 10:19:25 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

http://www.myajc.com/new.../rO65RZg4Ho9X08ZxC0ZqEM/

Anybody hear rumors of FLETC getting shutdown or reorganized because of this?
amillermba  
#232 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 11:52:50 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

http://appropriations.ho...es-subcommitteedraft.pdf

Our omnibus spending bill is on it's way to President Trump's desk. Overall is a $230 million cut over FY2016. However, our continuing resolutions have been running on a 1.6% cut which covers $171 million of that $230 million for the first seven months of the fiscal year (so the IRS basically needs to absorb $12million in cuts per month the remaining 5 months of the year). I wonder if they will try to squeeze out something for maybe October or November with FY 2017 funding considering they held 3 classes with FY2016 funding and we are got 3 classes approved before FY 2017 funding was finalized. Could be interesting to watch!
Scout7525  
#233 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 1:55:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Congratulations to all the new hires.

This job is what you make it.

Welcome.

Do your job and help your classmates succeed. You maybe strong in one item, and week in another. Work together with the goal of graduating everyone in your class.

Formerly Scout0315
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
amillermba on 5/4/2017(UTC)
amillermba  
#234 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 10:07:21 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Looks like the "September" class we've been talking about has been confirmed for July 25th. So looks like between 7/25 and 8/2, we'll all be shipping out.

Edited by user Monday, May 08, 2017 10:30:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

EttaBetta  
#235 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 11:14:53 AM(UTC)
EttaBetta

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looking for advice - A manager on the fraud investigations team where I work approached me about applying for opportunities with their group (we've talked before and he knows my background), but I'm hesitant to apply only because this IRS thing is so close (I have a TO). Am I totally crazy to tell them no? I know the general wisdom is don't put things on hold, but at this point saying no for two months to see if I get the firm offer is not that crazy, right?
amillermba  
#236 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 11:25:47 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: EttaBetta Go to Quoted Post
Looking for advice - A manager on the fraud investigations team where I work approached me about applying for opportunities with their group (we've talked before and he knows my background), but I'm hesitant to apply only because this IRS thing is so close (I have a TO). Am I totally crazy to tell them no? I know the general wisdom is don't put things on hold, but at this point saying no for two months to see if I get the firm offer is not that crazy, right?

I know it sounds cliché, but I'd put together a pros and cons of each. If you were to look at both jobs side by side, all things considered, which would you want? I don't think that's crazy. At this point, it's set that we will have 2 more classes this year. We do know they don't have enough TOs outstanding to fill those classes. So, come August 3rd, you will be in Georgia. So, at this point the question is really which job do you want? I don't think "Starting now vs. two months from now" is really a pro vs. con. But what about the others?

Side note, if they issue firm offers like they did this time around, The firm offers for the July class would come about the week of June 12th and the FOs for the August class, June 19th. So, you'd really only be waiting a little over a month, month and a half at this point. Although, so they don't issue FOs and then have to fill declinations, they may issue the FOs for the July class even earlier so they can fill the declinations before issuing FOs for August. I don't think they'd be able to issue an FO for the August class and then turn around and change it for the July class (if that makes sense).

Edited by user Monday, May 08, 2017 11:30:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked amillermba for this useful post.
EttaBetta on 5/8/2017(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#237 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 2:40:38 PM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

There aren't enough people to fill the remainding two classes from just those with TOs yet there were those that passed the interview as BQ or Cat A that were not selected. Supposedly there will be another announcement that may come out within the next year.

Why not give TOs to everyone that passed the interview with Cat A or BQ? (Not Cat B) If I remember correctly there were quite a few that didn't receive a TO after phase 4 passing results. Any rhyme or reason to that?
amillermba  
#238 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 3:13:22 PM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

There aren't enough people to fill the remainding two classes from just those with TOs yet there were those that passed the interview as BQ or Cat A that were not selected. Supposedly there will be another announcement that may come out within the next year.

Why not give TOs to everyone that passed the interview with Cat A or BQ? (Not Cat B) If I remember correctly there were quite a few that didn't receive a TO after phase 4 passing results. Any rhyme or reason to that?

Could be anything. Could be that at the time they didn't need any agents where they were located and knew they'd have minimal relocation funds. Could also be that they never anticipated having the funds for 72 people. No one really knows their rhyme or reason. We only know that they plan on filling the remaining spots with individuals from the transfer program.
BestBy2022  
#239 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:28:58 AM(UTC)
BestBy2022

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Does anyone have plane tickets yet? I haven't heard from Ms. MJ since Friday and I'm wondering whether anyone else has been getting booked.
Red  
#240 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 9:34:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Forbes.com has a May 9 article by Kelly Phillips Earb entitled "IRS crime team nabs award for investigation into dark web, drugs, bitcoin." A new book by Nick Bilton entitled "American Kingpin" tells the true story of the Silk Road investigation - the same case. SA Gary Alford from CI was covered in the book (he was also covered in previous newspaper articles, possibly the New York Times). The book is worth reading, very well done.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed