Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
silq707  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 2:15:34 PM(UTC)
silq707

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I was talking to an employee from a different office that told me he actually lives many hours from his office but he commutes and stays over for the work week but then drives back home towards the weekend which is not too uncommon it seems. With a flexible schedule and telework, the employee is able to make this work out but what caught me off guard was that he lives in Mexico, near the border. I know there are several thousands of non-government employees who make this cross daily from Mexico to US for work but I never met any other govt employees who made this cross until now. I am in a situation where I need to make a temporary move for a few months and I have SENTRI to make quick crosses. Would there be any issues with living in Mexico as a US govt employee? I am in the low tier security clearance job (forget what it is called). Also, I was thinking of teleworking too in the future but working from abroad with Mexican company internet, would that pose problems? The person I talked to has been teleworking with no problems so I don't think there would be and I tried to look up the CIO policies but could not find them.

Edited by user Monday, May 08, 2017 2:29:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 09, 2017 3:21:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 691 time(s) in 527 post(s)
Originally Posted by: silq707 Go to Quoted Post
I was talking to an employee from a different office that told me he actually lives many hours from his office but he commutes and stays over for the work week but then drives back home towards the weekend which is not too uncommon it seems. With a flexible schedule and telework, the employee is able to make this work out but what caught me off guard was that he lives in Mexico, near the border. I know there are several thousands of non-government employees who make this cross daily from Mexico to US for work but I never met any other govt employees who made this cross until now. I am in a situation where I need to make a temporary move for a few months and I have SENTRI to make quick crosses. Would there be any issues with living in Mexico as a US govt employee? I am in the low tier security clearance job (forget what it is called). Also, I was thinking of teleworking too in the future but working from abroad with Mexican company internet, would that pose problems? The person I talked to has been teleworking with no problems so I don't think there would be and I tried to look up the CIO policies but could not find them.

Talk to your security office!!!! I would think that teleworking from a foreign country may be problematic for them.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
SDAnalyst  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 10:42:20 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 277 post(s)
This is a huge "no-no." I work for an Agency and we are also near the Mexico border. We have been sent guidance several times stating you cannot live across the border and maintain your clearance, and no clearance=no job. I can guarantee you his Security Office doesn't know this. In fact, we are required to notify Security if we even take a trip to Mexico.

I, too, know quite a few people in private industry who live in Mexico and make the daily crossing into San Diego county to work, because it's so much cheaper to live there. But they are not Feds!

p.s. You really should post this in the Security Clearance forum.
https://forum.federalsou...t.aspx?g=topics&f=22

Edited by user Friday, May 26, 2017 10:45:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Suggest change of Forum

thanks 1 user thanked SD Analyst for this useful post.
silq707 on 5/30/2017(UTC)
silq707  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:29:40 AM(UTC)
silq707

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SDAnalyst Go to Quoted Post
This is a huge "no-no." I work for an Agency and we are also near the Mexico border. We have been sent guidance several times stating you cannot live across the border and maintain your clearance, and no clearance=no job. I can guarantee you his Security Office doesn't know this. In fact, we are required to notify Security if we even take a trip to Mexico.

I, too, know quite a few people in private industry who live in Mexico and make the daily crossing into San Diego county to work, because it's so much cheaper to live there. But they are not Feds!

Thank you, will do.
King_Fed  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:11:44 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SD Analyst Go to Quoted Post

You have a myopic view of the Federal gov't security process -- your entire post is not true for all agencies.

We have a guy living in mexico and teleworking... he has a clearance. He returns to the US and stays a month or so and then off to mexico. Of course, he cleared through management and security. As often said, if you have a security clearance, only lying or being evasive is a huge deal. Be honest and upfront... get ready to deal with a "no", but be honest either way.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed