Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RetiredSoldier919  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 10:09:36 AM(UTC)
RetiredSoldier919

Groups: Registered

I've often heard people say that a veteran with a certain disability rating is owed an explanation of the evaluation process when they are not selected. Does anyone know if this is true?

I ask because of my current situation. I currently work for the VA and applied for a DoD position in my current field.
The position is a GS-9 and I am currently a GS-11. My resume was written with the DoD position in mind. I made sure to show that I am perfectly suited to the position. However,I was referred to the Selecting Official, but not selected. I never received a notification of my certification. The status went from "Received" to "Not Selected" with nothing between. And another candidate was selected.

Do they owe me at least a cert number, or explanation. I am rated at 80%.

Thanks in advance.
Currently GS-11
gregor9416  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:55:55 PM(UTC)
gregor9416

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi, it depends on how the job was announced. If it was announced to All US Citizens, then you get veterans preference and you would be at the top of the list. However, if it's a merit posting, then your VA benefit doesn't kick in and you are rated the same as everybody else.
RetiredSoldier919  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:46:59 PM(UTC)
RetiredSoldier919

I understand the vets preference system. However, I'm asking about the supposed requirement that a 30% or higher rated vet is due an explanation of why he or she was not selected. I just want to know where I was on the cert list. Considering I do the exact same work, just with a different agency, I find it hard to believe I wouldn't get an interview. My resume was written in such a way that I showed my current job matches to a T the job they are filling.
Currently GS-11
gregor9416  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:54:15 PM(UTC)
gregor9416

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Under merit you are given the same consideration as all candidates on the cert list. The requirement to notify opm and the candidate a preference vet will be passed is only for jobs open to all citizens. There could be many reasons you didn't get an interview.
DroneBee  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:47:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
https://www.opm.gov/poli...de-for-hr-professionals/

This states under Disqualification of 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans: "If an agency proposes to pass over a disabled veteran on a certificate to select a person who is not a preference eligible, or to disqualify a disabled veteran based on the physical requirements of the position, it must at the same time notify both the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and the disabled veteran of the reasons for the determination and of the veteran's right to respond to OPM within 15 days of the date of the notification."

Other than that specific case, I don't know of any other where the veteran is given notice and a "right to respond."
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:55:26 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 691 time(s) in 527 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RetiredSoldier919 Go to Quoted Post
I understand the vets preference system. However, I'm asking about the supposed requirement that a 30% or higher rated vet is due an explanation of why he or she was not selected. I just want to know where I was on the cert list. Considering I do the exact same work, just with a different agency, I find it hard to believe I wouldn't get an interview. My resume was written in such a way that I showed my current job matches to a T the job they are filling.

You can always ask. If you ask, do so nicely and state you are looking for feedback to be a better candidate in the future. If you go in asking in an accusatory manner, you may not like the response.

If you applied as a current federal employee for a merit promotion or lateral transfer (or using VEOA), you are not owed an explanation as you are already a federal employee and vet preference rules do not apply.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TheRealOrange  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:59:00 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DroneBee Go to Quoted Post
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/

This states under Disqualification of 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans: "If an agency proposes to pass over a disabled veteran on a certificate to select a person who is not a preference eligible, or to disqualify a disabled veteran based on the physical requirements of the position, it must at the same time notify both the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and the disabled veteran of the reasons for the determination and of the veteran's right to respond to OPM within 15 days of the date of the notification."

Other than that specific case, I don't know of any other where the veteran is given notice and a "right to respond."

Yep. And if another preference eligible candidate was selected, which would be my guess, then there is no notification required -- "to pass over a disabled veteran on a certificate to select a person who is not a preference eligible...."
TheFrederalGovt  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 11:24:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
To OP, First off thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country.

Within my agency, it depends on which Cert List I use....If I review resumes referred to me from a status vacancy and want to interview and make selextion from that list I dont have to - however if I made selection from All US Citizens list - I would have to justify not selecting you
Rss Feed  Atom Feed