Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Procurements

Procurement is the acquisition of goods and/or services at the best possible total cost of ownership, in the right quality and quantity, at the right time, in the right place and from the right source for the direct benefit or use of corporations, individuals, or even governments, generally via a contract, or it can be the same way selection for human resource. Simple procurement may involve nothing more than repeat purchasing. Complex procurement could involve finding long term partners or suppliers that might fundamentally commit one organization to another. [Wikipedia]

Share your experience with procurements.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
yomiey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:28:30 AM(UTC)
yomiey

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Would anyone happen to know if training or conference fees need to be competed and involved with contracting?

If no competition is required, does anyone have a reference (to the FAR/or directive) to justify why.

I have an example of 50 individuals wanting to attend a conference hosted by a commercial vendor and it will be approximately $10,000 (over micro-purchase threshold). I need to figure out if we can pay with a card/manual payment without contracting to be involved.
1102Unlimited  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 5:53:48 PM(UTC)
1102Unlimited

Man

Originally Posted by: yomiey Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Would anyone happen to know if training or conference fees need to be competed and involved with contracting?

If no competition is required, does anyone have a reference (to the FAR/or directive) to justify why.

I have an example of 50 individuals wanting to attend a conference hosted by a commercial vendor and it will be approximately $10,000 (over micro-purchase threshold). I need to figure out if we can pay with a card/manual payment without contracting to be involved.

COTS training has a higher threshold, dependent upon which agency youare in.
King_Fed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:47:25 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hello,

You should ask:

1) Training Officer
2)... if no TO: ask EX Director/Deputy Director (or person filling that role)
3) ask HR... I'd try to find 1 or 2 above first though.

Where I am at now, it is very odd... we have to go though another office not related to us... they "approve" our funding for classes (in reality, they simply mark down a class was taken for yearly report/record purposes for everyone in our agency. They have never not "approved" anything, but it is the terminology we use).

frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:06:48 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 793 time(s) in 619 post(s)
Hello,

Start here: https://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/cca...ng/gcpc_primer_0310.docx

Also https://www.dau.mil/aap/pages/qd...amp;cgiQuestionID=123475 talks of splitting a $75k into three seperate purchases (not legal), but a single $25k purchase would be fine.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Tic3  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:13:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Hello,

Is it a conference or training?

There are two separate issues to consider, and at least one of which will depend on your agency policy.

The two issues are the acquisition method and the payment method.

Let's talk about the acquisition method first. You can refer to the OPM Training Policy Handbook at https://archive.opm.gov/...ubs/handbook/lrbsa12.asp . The handbook says

Quote:
Agencies may use an authorized training form to procure and certify payment of training expenses through Government or non-Government facilities. The form is certified by training officials and supervisors instead of the contracting officer under a procedure negotiated by the two offices and addressed in the agency's administrative directives. Comp. Gen. B-210334 (July 14, 1983).

In most cases, the SF-182 training form is authorized to obligate funds for training. Our agency can obligate up to $150,000 for off-the-shelf training without involving a contracting officer.

The payment method will depend on your agency policies. Most agencies have a charge card payment limit that you cannot exceed, and as already pointed out, you probably can't split the purchase among multiple card holders to stay below the payment limits. Our agency charge card limit is five thousand dollars.

In our case, we obligate the funds in our accounting system using the SF-182 training form from the OPM website. Once the training is completed, we pay the invoice if it is $5,000 or less. If it is over $5,000, we send the invoice along with the SF-182 to our central accounts payable office and they issue the electronic payment by direct deposit.

The above guidance applies only to formal, off-the-shelf training courses. It does NOT apply to conferences.

You can (and should) reach our to your contracting office regarding the OPM guidance on the procurement of training. Your budget office should be able to offer guidance on payment methods.

NOTE/DISCLAIMER: This is a very simplified summary specific to our agency. The actual process is a bit more complicated and involves coordination between several offices.

Edited by user Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:19:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed