Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.




Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:48:58 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/26/2017(UTC)
Posts: 1
United States
Location: Virginia

My husband is a DOD Civilian employee and we are in our last year of being overseas for his position. He has return rights to where we came from initially, and our orders state that we're to be moved back there. Differences in the time of year that a house gets rented out and when we left (coupled with us not being homeowners where we came from) will be leaving us homeless when we get moved back.

This is what makes me nervous and what my question is about: Reading into it all, it sounds like money isn't generally offered for temp lodging (house-hunting, really) upon the move-back (whether through lump sum or per diem,) even though it's obviously needed for, I imagine, a lot of people that PCS back stateside--I've read that it's up to the initial commands (the gaining/re-gaining commands) whether to offer any help to employees--and what kind of motivation would a regaining command have to offer this "incentive" to someone?

My husband is potentially going to produce a package for appealing to receive some kind of help, but I don't know how common it is done: Do you have any ideas?

Moving for a position stateside (via car) was previously done on our own dime in the private sector, but it wasn't nearly as extensive as I imagine a move from overseas where our car will be en route when we get there by airplane with none of our personal belongings (other than what we can fit in our suitcases) for a few months, and with immediate start-dates for positions while somehow finding and beginning a reputable daycare for our child so that I, too, can begin a new position.

1). Have I missed something regarding our move back? Are we generally given this as a benefit for returning and I'm reading stuff on the internet wrong?

2). What kinds of things should we potentially include in our package to document it as a necessity when, coupled with being car-less while our POV is being shipped on a slow-boat, we'll need transportation to/from his (and also my) job, as well as a couple of days (at least!) to find a place to rent?

3). Was this a major husband-oversight on initial orders creation that we should have had them written to include (but didn't realize it until having been here for a few years?)

Thank you for helping me!
#2 Posted : Monday, June 26, 2017 12:42:03 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/9/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,054

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Whatever your PCS orders say is what you will get. In my agency we have to fill out PCS paperwork and it always says what you are being offered. I have PCS'd 5 times but never OCONUS so not sure if there is a 'standard'. I always got TQSE but again, that's standard for my agency. Whoever is managing your PCS should be the place you go for info and ask if TQSE (temp qtrs. subsistence expense) allowance is authorized. Although the JTR says 90 days, my agency only gives 21 days. But at least it covers lodging and food for that amount of time while you search. We also get a miscellaneous expense allowance to help out. But again, it just all depends on what you are authorized on your orders. Best of luck and get familiar w/ the section of the JTR that covers PCS moves.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:04:27 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/27/2009(UTC)
Posts: 234

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Have you googled oconus to conus PCS? There is an Air Force presentation that lists the entitlements. If you PCS back CONUS to a different location than the previous CONUS position, you get a few more entitlements.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:52:04 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 119
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Your husband should be offered TQSE by his home command. It's not mandatory, but it is strongly encouraged. The services need civilian employees to go overseas. It's not in their best interest to penalize them for doing so. Has he asked either his current HR or home HR about it?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.495 seconds.