Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

13 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PearlJam45  
#61 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 11:46:24 AM(UTC)
PearlJam45

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mini1 Go to Quoted Post
That's not good news....if the call centers are hearing an extention to the contract.... We have not heard anything in Andover....we are seasonal for a reason

WELL WE STILL WILL HAVE AN END TO THE SEASON SO I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY WE ARE SEASONAL FOR A REASON....
LieutenantBlantyre  
#62 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 2:45:30 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PearlJam45 Go to Quoted Post
That's not good news....if the call centers are hearing an extention to the contract.... We have not heard anything in Andover....we are seasonal for a reason

WELL WE STILL WILL HAVE AN END TO THE SEASON SO I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY WE ARE SEASONAL FOR A REASON....

Posting IDRS-style gives away that you were peeking from a work computer.

A couple of our lunatics put in written statements declaring an interest in furlough if it arises. They were told to not hold their breath. The crazy AHOD this afternoon kinda shows why, too.

Although the draft budget bill for us had an overall lift from the administration request by over a hundred million dollars, we went down seventeen million dollars from the cut already requested for the Taxpayer Services account. Once the full committee makes a report, we'll see what they say about staffing and spending. The odds of a regular budget passing are doing pretty slim.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 05, 2017 2:46:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: DYAC

Massgone2015  
#63 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 3:20:43 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 37 post(s)

Because Mini1 only wants to work 6 months a year!
phillysteak  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:54:27 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
anything yet??? been a week with no update on furlough. I hope it come soon. today we were ahod on tpp, but I kept thinking balance due, so I didn't get on until like an hour later.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:36:01 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: phillysteak Go to Quoted Post
anything yet??? been a week with no update on furlough. I hope it come soon. today we were ahod on tpp, but I kept thinking balance due, so I didn't get on until like an hour later.

Mandatory Briefings are kicking off. We have to dispose of that first across the ENTERPRISE before any release. That takes a couple weeks.

Full committee markup of our FY18 appropriations bill is set for Thursday.
Buffalove  
#66 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:55:13 PM(UTC)
Buffalove

I don't think the furlough is happening before the end of September. I asked for a voluntary furlough and was denied, and told the furlough doesn't seem likely before the end of September.
kitkatma  
#67 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:36:59 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
We have been told that no requests for voluntary layoff will be accepted before August. Most of the seasonal agreements end in August and I know a few who have said they won't extend. Still hearing mixed givings on next years new hires, and now there are low murmurs of a perm conversion.

I have normally done my mandatory briefings in December/January during the dead cycle, so technically I'm not due to do those yet.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#68 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:01:03 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Looked at my notes from the legislative coordinator in the union chapter office...apparently the national president sent a letter to House Appropriations claiming management said they wanted to curtail seasonal staff for next year. That's in my work e-mail so I don't know if everybody else gets stuff like that from their local chapter office. At the least the union is talking about stuff like that with Congress.

Our managers at Cleveland got all cloistered in their offices for two separate all-manager conference calls today. It was kinda weird. That today happens to be the Thursday of Week 1 of a pay period is hopefully just a happy coincidence. We talked about it at lunch and most of us had messages from our managers stating Do Not Disturb Whatsoever during the conference calls and call Lead Gate if you needed help. We thought it was weird but, then again, most Thursdays are weird at Cleveland.
PearlJam45  
#69 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 12:09:48 PM(UTC)
PearlJam45

we had a day of training here yesterday and I can tell you no manager was on a conference call so I don't think that was for the seasonals
thanks 1 user thanked PearlJam45 for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 7/14/2017(UTC)
chriswt25  
#70 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 2:11:04 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Our director in Andover held an all hands meeting Thursday (no other managers in room). LOTS of venting, and when a seasonal asked about a furlough, we were told that at this point, doesn't look as if anything will happen until end of September. Apparently they have the funds and with their service level, there will be more phones then in a "normal" summer.

Of course this is the IRS, so take anything we are told for what it is worth. Next to nothing.

P.S. She said as she walks around the campus, NOBODY smiles. Shocking

Edited by user Friday, July 14, 2017 2:13:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
PearlJam45  
#71 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 3:59:56 PM(UTC)
PearlJam45

yeah at this point end of sept is going to be the time for us to go. too many different people at different times all said the exact same thing. the money is there the money has to be be spent so good news for some and im sure for some its a real drag but at this point everyone should expect to be working til oct
thanks 1 user thanked PearlJam45 for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#72 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 4:56:28 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

we had a day of training here yesterday and I can tell you no manager was on a conference call so I don't think that was for the seasonals

Yeah, we saw that your site had its Training Day. Congratulations for being first. We found out Cleveland will be last and have its Training Day on the last Thursday of the fiscal year, September 28th. Many CSRs were flabbergasted at that.

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Our director in Andover held an all hands meeting Thursday (no other managers in room). LOTS of venting, and when a seasonal asked about a furlough, we were told that at this point, doesn't look as if anything will happen until end of September. Apparently they have the funds and with their service level, there will be more phones then in a "normal" summer.

Of course this is the IRS, so take anything we are told for what it is worth. Next to nothing.

Are your phones fixed yet? JOC Log for most of the week indicated they were a bit of a dumpster fire, so to say. We're still having problems with IUP but that's due to the wiring in our building. The federal building that the Cleveland site is in happens to be as old as IDRS.

We also were told today 40 new hires and possibly 8 seasonal to perm conversions. Multiple people asked the question of why we're even bothering to try to hire with as bad as our local retention of new hires has been. We're getting late in the game to post to USAJobs in terms of turnaround time for HCO, too.

yeah at this point end of sept is going to be the time for us to go. too many different people at different times all said the exact same thing. the money is there the money has to be be spent so good news for some and im sure for some its a real drag but at this point everyone should expect to be working til oct

That was the funnier thing. We hear from management that everything is sunshine and rainbows. The union says we're looking at cuts as well as curtailment of the seasonals in FY2018. Treasury departmental documents submitted to Congress back the union's story and not management's. NTA Olson backs the union's story and not management's.

If the local job market weren't so lousy in northeast Ohio, more CSRs would probably be bolting. The local unemployment rate in Cuyahoga County is rather higher than the state average for Ohio. The rate is just as bad in neighboring Lorain County.
PearlJam45  
#73 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 5:02:22 PM(UTC)
PearlJam45

we are hiring 150 for next year. our union has told us that seasonal phone only csrs shouldn't worry as the IRS lives and breaths with seasonal csrs on the phone... now it was brought up that certain seasonal dept may see some cut backs with options for a lateral move and an outright "firing" would not be something to worry about. we laughed about the turnover of new hires also. I don't think people really know what they are getting into with this job. its stressful and you have to be pretty knowledgable.
Massgone2015  
#74 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:13:37 AM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Is this the same meeting where someone thought that would be the perfect time to head on over to the 99 for a few cocktails then come back and assault one of their co-workers? The fun never ends.
chriswt25  
#75 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:13:30 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Massgone2015 Go to Quoted Post

Is this the same meeting where someone thought that would be the perfect time to head on over to the 99 for a few cocktails then come back and assault one of their co-workers? The fun never ends.

I heard about that. Thought it involved people from second shift. Never an excuse for that, although when you treat people as if they are neck deep in a festering cesspool, anything can and will happen. Keep adding job functions to people and nit picking them with reviews and you have the makings of an unhealthy and potentially explosive situation.
Massgone2015  
#76 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:52:39 AM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Originally Posted by: Massgone2015 Go to Quoted Post

I heard about that. Thought it involved people from second shift. Never an excuse for that, although when you treat people as if they are neck deep in a festering cesspool, anything can and will happen. Keep adding job functions to people and nit picking them with reviews and you have the makings of an unhealthy and potentially explosive situation.

Yes it did happen on the night shift. I agree, it can be very toxic there.
phillysteak  
#77 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 3:12:27 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Man, last year they asked for volunteer at the end of July and beginning of August and let those volunteers go in August 19. I hope the same for this year. this freaking ahod on phone everyday really tick me off. I rather do cases and not deal with idiots who can't file their tax right and trying to scheme their ways for refund.

last year I didn't sign up for volunteer and had to ask for release in September 30, just couldn't wait for actual release. this year I will make sure to sign that volunteer paper if they ask. lolololz.
PearlJam45  
#78 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 4:56:05 PM(UTC)
PearlJam45

well you said it yourself... ahod is still in place so I highly doubt an opportunity will happen this year, its been a strange year. I hear ahod but every night after 730-8 the phone goes dead even during the heart of the filing season....
SuperMario  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:04:46 PM(UTC)
SuperMario

What happened with the one who punched the other one?
Massgone2015  
#80 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:59:21 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Originally Posted by: SuperMario Go to Quoted Post
What happened with the one who punched the other one?

Not sure. I heard something about a suspension and TIGTA investigating.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed