Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Xavier12  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:01:09 PM(UTC)
Xavier12

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I am about to request a reasonable accommodation as a last ditch effort to stay employed with the USPS. I have an on the job back injury and can no longer carry the mail.

I know that I can send it to my post master but frankly I don't trust her and would like to send it to someone in HR but not sure who exactly or even how to get the contact info.

Thanks for any info!
RiskyBusiness  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:09:44 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Try posting this question in the Postal Employee Forum and you may get a better response.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Xavier12  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:52:01 PM(UTC)
Xavier12

Thanks!
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:37:30 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Xavier12 Go to Quoted Post
I am about to request a reasonable accommodation as a last ditch effort to stay employed with the USPS. I have an on the job back injury and can no longer carry the mail.

I know that I can send it to my post master but frankly I don't trust her and would like to send it to someone in HR but not sure who exactly or even how to get the contact info.

Thanks for any info!

Check out the information at this link (reprinted below): http://about.usps.com/ha...ks/el307/el307c2_002.htm

212 Requesting An Accommodation

The Postal Service activates the reasonable accommodation process whenever the following occurs:

*An employee or applicant, or someone acting on behalf of the employee or applicant, makes an oral or written request for reasonable accommodation.
*A manager or supervisor observes the following:
*An employee with a known physical or mental disability having difficulty performing the essential functions of his or her job.
*An employee otherwise experiencing workplace problems because of that disability.
*A manager or supervisor reasonably believes that an employee with a known disability may need an accommodation and the disability prevents the employee from requesting reasonable accommodation.

To request a reasonable accommodation, an individual may use plain language and need not mention the Rehabilitation Act or use the phrase “reasonable accommodation.” An employee can make a request for accommodation to any of the following:

*His or her supervisor or manager, or any Postal Service supervisor or manager.
*The manager, Human Resources (District).
*The Reasonable Accommodation Committee (RAC) Chair.

A job applicant may make a request for accommodation to any of the following:

*The examiner.
*The selecting official.
*The manager, Human Resources (District).

Employees who are deaf or hard of hearing and seek a communication accommodation can also make a request for accommodation to the District Disability Coordinator. Requests for accommodation, as well as the type of accommodation requested, will determine how individuals make requests and how the Postal Service processes the requests.

Edited by user Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:38:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankish  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:46:01 AM(UTC)
Frankish

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Exactly what would you request as an accommodation as you can no longer do the job (with or without a reasonable accommodation)? Search for "Information About Disability Retirement (FERS)" to better understand one process. Hard to imagine you were injured on the job and only now you are exploring options. The postal employee forum is indeed the better option for information.
Xavier12  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:04:46 AM(UTC)
Xavier12

Originally Posted by: Frankish Go to Quoted Post
Exactly what would you request as an accommodation as you can no longer do the job (with or without a reasonable accommodation)? Search for "Information About Disability Retirement (FERS)" to better understand one process. Hard to imagine you were injured on the job and only now you are exploring options. The postal employee forum is indeed the better option for information.

Actually seeking a reassignment as a last resort "accomodation".

I had every intention of getting well and going back to my Carrier job after my initial injury back in Dec 2015 and I went through the whole exhausting OWCP proces, limited duty etc.

I am now beginning to realize that I will never carry the mail again and that has been devastating. I actually liked it and I carry in the Northeast snowy winters and all!

Letting the agency come back with what they will as far as what they can do then WILL be filing for DR.
Frankish  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:19:00 AM(UTC)
Frankish

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 41 post(s)
The reasonable accommodation process is yet another exhausting process and far more adversarial. I think you need to hire a lawyer as the issue is an on the job injury. The goal of the employer at this point is to get the injured employee out the door at the least cost.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed