Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stangroush  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:02:25 AM(UTC)
stangroush

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm currently with SSA and I'm wondering if I could get suggestions and on what is the best way to network with other federal agencies to gain employment with them. Would showing up in person to the agency you are interested in and handing them my resume be appropriate?

In the component of Social Security I'm currently in,there's no chance to move up, and there are a few agencies here in town I'm interested in. I would like to stay in tge city I'm in long term but not at GS-9 for the next 30 years.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:03:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ex-military  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:24:33 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stangroush Go to Quoted Post
Would showing up in person to the agency you are interested in and handing them my resume be appropriate?

Umm, no it would not be appropriate at all.

In the component of Social Security I'm currently in,there's no chance to move up, and there are a few agencies here in town I'm interested in. I would like to stay in tge city I'm in long term but not at GS-9 for the next 30 years.

I am in much the same boat. Unless you are willing to relocate, it may be very difficult to move up.
Frankish  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:16:31 PM(UTC)
Frankish

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 41 post(s)
The most straightforward method of networking within the federal government is to apply and interview for jobs. The standard methods of networking such as LinkedIn, social / business events and current contacts are of value for both public sector and private sector roles. And as you are interested in staying in the same city you do have options within the city for meet and greet.

Personally the standard federal employee approach to advancement is not to my liking. I pursue other venues including "volunteer" roles both leadership and otherwise, training, feedback submission related to the recent executive order, etc.
nembamike  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:39:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 141 post(s)
Many agencies are on Facebook and if they have hiring events normally they advertise them there. Agree with trying LinkedIn.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:14:52 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 520 post(s)
I'm currently with SSA and I'm wondering if I could get suggestions and on what is the best way to network with other federal agencies to gain employment with them. Would showing up in person to the agency you are interested in and handing them my resume be appropriate?

Without knowing your series or what your qualifications are, it is hard to suggest what to do. You could try requesting informational interviews with places you would like to work at to help figure out if (a) what you need to be competitive when they have an opening, (b) do you really want to work there! (this latter is probably the biggest thing people forget!)
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
emoticon  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:33:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Professional conferences are a great way to meet people from other agencies. Some conferences have job information booths and recruiting sessions.

:)
Goose1200  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:25:08 AM(UTC)
Goose1200

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you work in a building that has other federal agencies in it, and one of those agencies happens to have openings, you could always walk in at lunch time and say i work down the hall at SSA and see you have openings, do you have a minute....?

If not, linked in, etc are also good ways-
birdonamission  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 6:08:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Ummm...no. Who to hand to, the security guards?

"Can you fetch someone from HR to come down 11 floors to the lobby so I can chat with him or her?"

Kidding aside, look at any of a number federal employee and professional associations:

https://www.govloop.com/...iations-you-should-join/

satrel  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:41:22 AM(UTC)
satrel

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
current employment climate being what it is, does your occupation exist in contracting? if so, you can look into getting in with a contractor, they usually pay better, few years in you will have 1. higher pay, 2. experience in a higher pay range to apply for higher grade jobs in the government. I see this all the time, people bounce back and forth to gain experience and higher pay as contractor, and back to keep their fed time accumulating.
usmc0341  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:26:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Your location says California, so hopefully one of these applies to you.

San Francisco and Los Angeles both have Federal Executive Boards. They often run a leadership program of sorts, which involves networking, shadowing another federal agency, etc. You do need to get your local management's blessing though, because they're usually paying out of their budget to let you participate.

Here's an example for Los Angeles...

http://www.losangeles.feb.gov/

http://www.losangeles.fe...aining_brochure_2017.pdf

Edited by user Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:29:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added more info

Rss Feed  Atom Feed