Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

53 Pages«<4748495051>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheWaitingGame  
#961 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:21:41 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: usafhap2012 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TheWaitingGame Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: futurefbiagent2018 Go to Quoted Post
For some of you worried about your BI taking a year, traveling abroad specially to questionable places will definitely slow down your BI. Also, I really hope you completed your BI Forms correctly and you took each question seriously, because if you forgot to mention something or didn't think it was important to put it down, that could also negatively impact its progress and the reason why it's taken a year to complete. When you forget to mention jobs, schools, criminal history, etc, and your investigator is 2-3 months into the investigation, finding new info pushes the entire process back to zero. FYI. So, bottom line, better be 200% honest upfront and disclosure everything.

Traveling ever or just recently?

The person doing the BI is the same agent/agents that met with your references and spouse? Or is the person doing your BI the agent you meet with where you go over the SF-86 line by line?

I listed everything as listed on the SF-86 form as directed in regards to 10 years or 18th birthday, whichever was shorter.

The Bureau assigns contractors to perform a BI on you. These are the folks interviewing your family and friends...so no it is not the agent you submitted your SF-86 with. In my experience, it was done regionally. Depending on where the interview is given, different contractors are used. After this portion of your BI is completed, it is packaged and then sent back to FBI HQ for adjudication.

Gotcha, thanks.

The contractor that met with my work and references said he had to get it all back to HQ by a certain date which was months ago. He was a retired agent, nice guy.
Security Started 6/2017
References Contacted 8/2017
Medically Cleared 10/2017
#962 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:30:32 AM(UTC)

For some of you worried about your BI taking a year, traveling abroad specially to questionable places will definitely slow down your BI. Also, I really hope you completed your BI Forms correctly and you took each question seriously, because if you forgot to mention something or didn't think it was important to put it down, that could also negatively impact its progress and the reason why it's taken a year to complete. When you forget to mention jobs, schools, criminal history, etc, and your investigator is 2-3 months into the investigation, finding new info pushes the entire process back to zero. FYI. So, bottom line, better be 200% honest upfront and disclosure everything.

Traveling ever or just recently?

The person doing the BI is the same agent/agents that met with your references and spouse? Or is the person doing your BI the agent you meet with where you go over the SF-86 line by line?

I listed everything as listed on the SF-86 form as directed in regards to 10 years or 18th birthday, whichever was shorter.

I think this may have been mentioned here before, but according to the first investigator I spoke with, they finish their portion in about 2 weeks. I'm sure this can vary depending on many different factors, but each of the investigators I have spoken to gave the same time frame voluntarily, I didn't ask. I've spoken to 3 since Saturday, all tasked with different portions of my BI and in different areas of the country.

This will be my 3rd federal BI, and adjudication is always the majority of the wait time.

Applied/P1 - 4/17
M&G - 5/17
P2 - 7/17
PFT - 8/17
PSI/Poly - 9/17
BI - 10/17
TheWaitingGame  
#963 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:39:00 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Originally Posted by: 1909 Go to Quoted Post

I think this may have been mentioned here before, but according to the first investigator I spoke with, they finish their portion in about 2 weeks. I'm sure this can vary depending on many different factors, but each of the investigators I have spoken to gave the same time frame voluntarily, I didn't ask. I've spoken to 3 since Saturday, all tasked with different portions of my BI and in different areas of the country.

This will be my 3rd federal BI, and adjudication is always the majority of the wait time.

Wow, I have only spoken to one, he did my school, work, references, versifiers and spouse. I've lived within 20 miles my entire life. Last 10 years only 2 houses I purchased.

Security Started 6/2017
BagramSteve  
#964 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:14:29 PM(UTC)
BagramSteve

I'm currently going through the BI for a non-SA position, but just wanted to see if anyone might have some insights as to what current adjudication processing timelines are looking like. According to my case manager, my case has been in adjudication since September 12th. I was initially told that the adjudicator had 20 days to make a hiring determination, but that obviously was not the case. I can't complain too much about my overall timeline, as I have only had to wait a total of six months thus far, but I am eager to get started. I appreciate the help!
New2this15  
#965 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:21:31 PM(UTC)
New2this15

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What has been everyone's experience with the spousal interview (ie, who does it and when in the BI process)? Contractor did interviews at my last job, current job, and my current neighbors. That was all within a span of two weeks about a month ago. Seems like it would have been the time to interview my spouse if they were going to... Weird? I'm still hopeful for a March class! Anyone hear about January yet!?
Military
Initial App: OCT16
Ph1: OCT16
M&G: DEC16
PII/PFT: JUL17
Poly: AUG17
Medical: SEP17
BI: Ongoing (submitted AUG17)
TheWaitingGame  
#966 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:38:44 PM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Spoke to my AC today, I cleared medical. Informed me I am still in Background stage.

My AC also says January roster is almost full. Says for me not to expect to hear anything else until next year.
Security Started 6/2017
Broadway  
#967 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:18:25 PM(UTC)
Broadway

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Almost full? Hmm makes me wonder since no one has posted getting "the call" yet.
ShesAWannabeSA  
#968 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:24:56 PM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 35 post(s)
@broadway...I’m with you. I found out I’m medically cleared and in that same email my FO said there has been no release of info about FY 2018 classes and she doesn’t know when it’s coming.
App: 1/2017
P1: 2/2017
M&G: 3/2017
P2/PFT: 5/2017
PSI/Poly: 6/2017
Med Start: 08/2017
Adjudication: 9/2017
futurefbiagent2018  
#969 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:35:58 PM(UTC)
futurefbiagent2018

United States

Question: when you took PI test, did y'all find out right away? How long did you wait?
TheWaitingGame  
#970 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:07:15 PM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Question: when you took PI test, did y'all find out right away? How long did you wait?

Found out within hours
Security Started 6/2017
usafhap2012  
#971 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:26:22 AM(UTC)
usafhap2012

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Spoke to my AC today, I cleared medical. Informed me I am still in Background stage.

My AC also says January roster is almost full. Says for me not to expect to hear anything else until next year.

Mine told me the roster had not even been released yet (and wouldn't until the end of October/ early November).
Hawaii808  
#972 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:26:30 AM(UTC)
Hawaii808

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Mine told me the roster had not even been released yet (and wouldn't until the end of October/ early November).

Probably means that they almost have enough cleared people to fill the roster for January, so if you're not close to the end of adjudication you won't hear anything until they start making moves to fill the roster for March (I'd imagine January).
AnonSAApp  
#973 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:32:11 AM(UTC)
AnonSAApp

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hawaii808 Go to Quoted Post

Probably means that they almost have enough cleared people to fill the roster for January, so if you're not close to the end of adjudication you won't hear anything until they start making moves to fill the roster for March (I'd imagine January).

Welp, looks like I'll be close to two years since applying if I dont get into January's class. Something just has to be amiss with my application.
TheWaitingGame  
#974 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:18:17 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Originally Posted by: AnonSAApp Go to Quoted Post

Welp, looks like I'll be close to two years since applying if I dont get into January's class. Something just has to be amiss with my application.

That amazes me that they cannot give you any type of info or answer. Is it possible to fail BI? Besides lying about a criminal record why else or how else could you fail? Why would it take over a year to do a BI on someone. If someone is assigned to handle it then delays could happen but I can't see someone spending a year doing a BI investigation.
Security Started 6/2017
TheWaitingGame  
#975 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:19:48 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

So they must build the roster internally and then once complete make the calls.

Security Started 6/2017
AnonSAApp  
#976 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:23:12 AM(UTC)
AnonSAApp

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 42 post(s)

That amazes me that they cannot give you any type of info or answer. Is it possible to fail BI? Besides lying about a criminal record why else or how else could you fail? Why would it take over a year to do a BI on someone. If someone is assigned to handle it then delays could happen but I can't see someone spending a year doing a BI investigation.

It's absolutely baffling. If I knew I had something to hide I would be a little less annoyed by it. I literally can't think of a thing that would cause me to fail. Also, active e-mail came today.
futurefbiagent2018  
#977 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:29:16 AM(UTC)
futurefbiagent2018

United States

This entire process applying for SA position has been bizarre to me, even being in the field of criminal investigations, this process is very different and completely separate from anything I've done. It's not that you "fail" BI, but more like you will be denied clearance due to X, Y, and/or Z. if you lied about your criminal history, the question we ask, what else could this person lie about? CIs don't rush a BIs just to accommodate someone to get a job, in this case to get you on that 01/18 roster, that is far from reality. We also get timelines, its not like your paperwork sits on our desks for months. We work on multiple people at the same time and we have to go by regulations and policies and that takes time to research if we find something, what to do, and what docs to get and its a chain reaction that takes weeks/months to solve if we request docs/info/clarification/explanation from other agencies, which also have their policies and regs they follow, so everything takes time. I am sure they are working on your file here and there whenever they get updated info. Also, we have a life. We take vacations, sick leave days, etc. When you have a case assigned to you, unless its urgent, no one works on that file but you. I don't know if I helped or made it worse, but at least provided some perspective. Cheers.
TheWaitingGame  
#978 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:38:39 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

This entire process applying for SA position has been bizarre to me, even being in the field of criminal investigations, this process is very different and completely separate from anything I've done. It's not that you "fail" BI, but more like you will be denied clearance due to X, Y, and/or Z. if you lied about your criminal history, the question we ask, what else could this person lie about? CIs don't rush a BIs just to accommodate someone to get a job, in this case to get you on that 01/18 roster, that is far from reality. We also get timelines, its not like your paperwork sits on our desks for months. We work on multiple people at the same time and we have to go by regulations and policies and that takes time to research if we find something, what to do, and what docs to get and its a chain reaction that takes weeks/months to solve if we request docs/info/clarification/explanation from other agencies, which also have their policies and regs they follow, so everything takes time. I am sure they are working on your file here and there whenever they get updated info. Also, we have a life. We take vacations, sick leave days, etc. When you have a case assigned to you, unless its urgent, no one works on that file but you. I don't know if I helped or made it worse, but at least provided some perspective. Cheers.

Makes sense that you don't fail but get denied security clearance.

Just makes you think how deep they go or if someone they interviewed said something and they spend a whole bunch of time chasing ghost.

You would still think that at some point they have to make a decision to continue or not.

If I use myself as an example I have worked the same job for over 12 years, lived in a 20 mile radius my entire life and only traveled overseas for vacations. No tickets, no drug use ever, no bad credit, no BK etc. I have a pretty boring and straight forward past for the past 15 years.
Security Started 6/2017
ShesAWannabeSA  
#979 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:56:07 AM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 35 post(s)
It's absolutely baffling. If I knew I had something to hide I would be a little less annoyed by it. I literally can't think of a thing that would cause me to fail. Also, active e-mail came today.

Does this mean your resolve to pull your application if you don't get into January has softened some?? Kinda sounds like maybe it has :) Maybe I'm wrong...I hope I'm right ;)

App: 1/2017
P1: 2/2017
M&G: 3/2017
P2/PFT: 5/2017
PSI/Poly: 6/2017
Med Start: 08/2017
Adjudication: 9/2017
Slinkyl  
#980 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:58:06 AM(UTC)
Slinkyl

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I was never expecting it to be quick, I am just more concerned like SAP that we have not heard anything. All of my contacts were talked to before January 2017, and since then there has been no follow up or clarification. Oh well thanks for your insight, just apart of the process I guess.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed