Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Goose1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:21:44 AM(UTC)
Goose1

Groups: Registered
United States

I have been accepted and start one month before the academy. I must say I'm a bit nervous as I have 15 years of government service under my belt and have a family who counts on me. The ides of failing and being removed from federal service definitely frightens me.
I will be in the class schedule for January and am from MD.
Who else will be joining me and have similar concerns over the academy?
fed1090  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:39:25 AM(UTC)
fed1090

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The training is designed to train you not fail you. The failure part is something all agencies must say. It is not difficult stay positive listen to the training and understand it teaches you the basics, I was in a similar boat and moved the family half way across the country and I made it no probe.
Srell2002  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:04:06 PM(UTC)
Srell2002

I received my tentative offer in September. My background closed about a week ago and now waiting on adjudication. I hope to be in the January class.
Srell2002  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:28:52 PM(UTC)
Srell2002

Can you provide your timeline? You will be shadowing for a month?
Mtc17227  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:29:47 AM(UTC)
Mtc17227

Are you guys a part of the mass hiring post in August or the individual posts the months before it?
Srell2002  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:49:47 PM(UTC)
Srell2002

Individual for me
@rmyvet  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:44:23 PM(UTC)
@rmyvet

United States

I graduate on Friday, the best advice i can offer you is to come with an open mind and be prepared to study
Goose1  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:35:39 PM(UTC)
Goose1

United States

Individual posting.
Goose1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:47:21 PM(UTC)
Goose1

United States

From what I understand my SAC really knows what it takes to be successful. I am presuming shadowing for a month will provide me more exposure and provide mne a better understanding prior to the academy.

I was interviewed in August, recieved the tentative letter in August recieved the final offer November 6th.
BackGdInvestigator  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 12:43:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 44 post(s)
@rmyvet gave you the best advice.
-
Come to the training prepared to take the training serious and focus on the information. Review the information and learn how to use the tools. Ask questions during and after class. Don't talk yourself out of the career field but get rid of the notion that this is a "retirement" job. I have been a BI as either a contractor or a fed for over 14 years and will be frank, be flexible and pay attention - this is how you will do well in this training.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Hopeful1810  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:59:47 PM(UTC)
Hopeful1810

United States

I will be in the Jan 17th class I am from NYC. 12 years in the Marines and 3 years Civillian Fed Service
Bachelors in Criminal Justice

My Timeline
Applied in April
Phone Interview in May
Panel Interview in June
COE in August
Met with Investigator in October
Received Final earlier this week
Start date is suppose to be 11/27 however my current supervisor is upset so she said “OPM doesn’t tell us when you start we tell them” so if she’s right I’ll probaly start 12/11.

Not worried I have 70hours of Comp Time I plan on using if Dec 11th is my start date. Good luck to everyone attending
Srell2002  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 20, 2017 9:12:05 PM(UTC)
Srell2002

Your shadowing is that long? I'm still being told it's only a week.
Hopeful1810  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 20, 2017 9:26:01 PM(UTC)
Hopeful1810

United States

Originally Posted by: Srell2002 Go to Quoted Post
Your shadowing is that long? I'm still being told it's only a week.

I didn’t find out my SSBI was adjudicated until I called HR to update my phone number and they gave me the number to security. I called and they were like your background is done we sent HR a letter that you were eligible to EOD.

I waited a week didn’t hear anything so my SAC called HR and I got the final letter and did all my on boarding this past Tuesday.
Navy80  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 7:05:51 PM(UTC)
Navy80

Man

Individual for me and I go to the academy in January.

Advice got academy besides study hard? Dress code? Sleeping arrangements? What to bring and what not to bring?
BackGdInvestigator  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 4:23:49 PM(UTC)

You will have your own room.

You should get instructions about specific clothing but in general, bring a tie/jacket or a suit for pictures and graduation.

Most of the days are business casual - dress warm.

I always suggest you bring an usb mouse/ keyboard and at least one empty two inch notebook (two is the most you will need)
A work bag or such to carry your notebooks and laptop from class to the hotel each day.

Bring a lot of change for laundry each weekend and snacks during the breaks.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Navy80  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 5:23:14 PM(UTC)
Navy80

Man

Originally Posted by: BackGdInvestigator Go to Quoted Post
You will have your own room.

You should get instructions about specific clothing but in general, bring a tie/jacket or a suit for pictures and graduation.

Most of the days are business casual - dress warm.

I always suggest you bring an usb mouse/ keyboard and at least one empty two inch notebook (two is the most you will need)
A work bag or such to carry your notebooks and laptop from class to the hotel each day.

Bring a lot of change for laundry each weekend and snacks during the breaks.

Great info, thanks!

2chains  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:04:00 PM(UTC)
2chains

@Navy80
You don't need to bring a keyboard it will just take up more room in your bags than necessary. Only one person in the last class had one and rarely used it. A mouse would be a good thing to bring because it gets annoying to use the pad.
Also, you'll need to wear slacks and a polo or button up everyday to class other than some casual Friday's and some days you will need to wear a full suit/tie.
The training is challenging to those who overthink the things taught in class.

You do NOT need change for laundry, it is free at the hotel.
You do NOT need to bring a binder, they will provide you with one and have many spares if you need more.
You do NOT need a work bag, they will provide you with a laptop bag that has room for your notes/binders.

You can buy snacks at the grocery store in town.. no need to bring these items.

Most importantly- take notes on the PowerPoints they give you word for word because this will help you during the exams, you can do an exact CTRL+F and find the answers since it is open notes.
BackGdInvestigator  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:54:52 PM(UTC)

Things changed then.. There was no free laundry back then nor spare notebooks. You used to have one 3 inch binder which became cumbersome with all the handouts and training guides.

The laptop bag we were issued was barely large enough for the laptop and power cord.

I use a keyboard with every laptop because I am broad shouldered and have problems with laptop keyboards.

Good luck with your class.

Edited by user Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:57:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added information.

Navy80  
#19 Posted : Friday, December 01, 2017 2:08:39 PM(UTC)
Navy80

Man

Originally Posted by: 2chains Go to Quoted Post
@Navy80
You don't need to bring a keyboard it will just take up more room in your bags than necessary. Only one person in the last class had one and rarely used it. A mouse would be a good thing to bring because it gets annoying to use the pad.
Also, you'll need to wear slacks and a polo or button up everyday to class other than some casual Friday's and some days you will need to wear a full suit/tie.
The training is challenging to those who overthink the things taught in class.

You do NOT need change for laundry, it is free at the hotel.
You do NOT need to bring a binder, they will provide you with one and have many spares if you need more.
You do NOT need a work bag, they will provide you with a laptop bag that has room for your notes/binders.

You can buy snacks at the grocery store in town.. no need to bring these items.

Most importantly- take notes on the PowerPoints they give you word for word because this will help you during the exams, you can do an exact CTRL+F and find the answers since it is open notes.

Hey thanks for all the info! It's appreciated....

-What's the facial hair policy? One thing I forgot to ask about.

-How is the food? Chow hall type of eating or do you get released to eat out in town?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed