Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobbob1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:08:29 AM(UTC)
bobbob1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So the ELM says unless there are exceptions/emergency declared by the PMG or a designee, this rule is absolute. I read in another post (I believe on this forum) that December is one of those exceptions. I asked my local APWU president and he says it still applies in December. Does anyone know 100% for sure? Also, if there were exceptions given by the PMG, would that be country-wide or for certain districts or what?
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:28:31 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2436 time(s) in 1870 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
So the ELM says unless there are exceptions/emergency declared by the PMG or a designee, this rule is absolute. I read in another post (I believe on this forum) that December is one of those exceptions. I asked my local APWU president and he says it still applies in December. Does anyone know 100% for sure? Also, if there were exceptions given by the PMG, would that be country-wide or for certain districts or what?

having mail is NOT an emergency!!!

so yes the 12 hour rule applies all year long.

and as an fyi a pmg has never as far as I know ever invoked the "emergency" rule.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
Bob Enweave on 12/7/2017(UTC)
bobbob1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:35:32 AM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

ok that's what I thought. on Monday my supervisor made me and another clerk work 14 hours (with a 30 minute lunch). I knew I could leave after 12, but I had a conversation with the local VP and I told him I'd stay and grieve it. any idea what will happen once I do?
Iyan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:41:57 AM(UTC)
Iyan

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
JCIM Article 8.5. Read the whole thing, but you probably won’t be any less confused than you are now. The way the regulations are written are terrible. Make sure you look at ‘Remedies’, but it doesn’t appear this applies for December. Good luck.
Mailman88  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 9:41:48 AM(UTC)
Mailman88

United States

Actually this post Is really funny. My office is the same way I am a cca and five of us this week they keep making us work pat 12 daily. We were told by our union steward that I have to follow instructions and grieve it later.
bobbob1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 9:45:04 AM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

yeah my VP said it's happening all over our district. it's almost as if not getting holiday help was a bad idea.
mnmailman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:25:10 AM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Was thanked: 670 time(s) in 488 post(s)
For carrier, iirc

ONLY regulars on the otdl

can be made to work past twelve

in December.

<g>
Question authority.
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:17:23 PM(UTC)
postalvet

the rule is always follow instructions and grieve later unless it is a safety issue.

the remedy should be more money, triple time or an amount that has been won by these types of grievances. check with your nba for documentation.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:18:29 PM(UTC)
postalvet

because of the management turn over this happens all the time and management must pay and does with a grievance.
Mailman88  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:18:05 PM(UTC)
Mailman88

United States

See that’s the problem we are having. Some people are saying that we are o follow instructions nd grieve it later some are saying that at the twelve mark we no longer have to follow instructions. Just get confused on where to go. Turned to the union and wiring for definitive answer the Elm is not clear. This has bad written all over it just did 13 hours tonight and safety is huge my motor skills are slowing along with my reaction time but I keep being instructed to deliver.

Sorry to thread jack
mnmailman  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:32:56 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Was thanked: 670 time(s) in 488 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mailman88 Go to Quoted Post
See that’s the problem we are having. Some people are saying that we are o follow instructions nd grieve it later some are saying that at the twelve mark we no longer have to follow instructions. Just get confused on where to go. Turned to the union and wiring for definitive answer the Elm is not clear. This has bad written all over it just did 13 hours tonight and safety is huge my motor skills are slowing along with my reaction time but I keep being instructed to deliver.

Sorry to thread jack

Your steward is wrong.

https://www.nalc.org/new...ent/06-2015_contract.pdf

Last paragraph

left hand column for cca

<g>

Edited by user Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:38:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Question authority.
postalvet  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:12:02 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
the rule is always follow instructions and grieve later unless it is a safety issue.

the remedy should be more money, triple time or an amount that has been won by these types of grievances. check with your nba for documentation.

I stand by this statement because not following instructions can lean to more issue especially if one already has some kind of discipline.

however if you have a strong union and they will fight all the way to the district and higher then bring the mail back or stop working and clock out and go home.
MPE2009  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:23:22 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 235 time(s) in 187 post(s)
Mittenthal award, H4N-NA-C 21 covers this.
LeroyToliver  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 6:16:59 AM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Yup, they can work you 12 hours. Pretty sure that was made clear during orientation/training, especially for this time of year. However, not every one can see well in the dark, flashlight or no flashlight. If you cant see and its unsafe let management know youll gladly work the 12 hours but once it gets dark they need to find you indoor work. Can you see whats lurking in every yard, under the porch, coming from behind the house? Can you accurately assess any cracks or holes in the sidewalk, ice, predators etc? Are you aware of the failings of USPS workers comp incase anything happens to you? Once it gets dark it becomes unreasonably unsafe. Arrange to come in at 5am and have your truck reloaded for sunrise deliveries. Even at 12 hour days, your still done for the day by 5pm. Please make sure you help move as much mail (safely) as possible while on the clock. Once 12 hours comes around and youve been in the elements all day come back in and punch out, let them grieve that later.
bobbob1  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:31:21 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

and as an fyi a pmg has never as far as I know ever invoked the "emergency" rule.

Ok so now I'm confused. Called the local vp on Monday and he said December doesn't change that rule. Now my coworker called today and he said yes December is an exception. I contacted the nba and they have to get back to me

postalvet  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:42:52 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Ok so now I'm confused. Called the local vp on Monday and he said December doesn't change that rule. Now my coworker called today and he said yes December is an exception. I contacted the nba and they have to get back to me

this comes up every year, the only thing that goes away is penalty overtime.
read this arb, it does not state anywhere except holidays or anything like that.
http://mseries.nalc.org/06238.pdf
bobbob1  
#17 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 2:14:42 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Oh I'm not regular. Pse
Rss Feed  Atom Feed