Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

48 Pages«<45464748>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kaliino  
#921 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:04:09 AM(UTC)
Kaliino

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 553 time(s) in 394 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bobcat9647 Go to Quoted Post
Good info Kalino. Do you know if this applies across the board in the IC? Also have you heard of people starting out at DIA but then moving to other non-IC DoD agencies once their probationary period is over?

I can't speak to how other members of the IC operate.

I've met a few people who have bounced around the IC, so it's possible.

DIA officers are also eligible to participate in "Joint Duty Assignments".

So... if you wanted to work with CIA for awhile, you can spend a few years there.

JDAs start off as looking good on one's resume and then become required at higher pay-grades.

thanks 1 user thanked Kaliino for this useful post.
rebels8 on 12/7/2017(UTC)
someoldguy  
#922 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:14:46 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 468 time(s) in 404 post(s)
In addition to all the stuff we've seen discussed on this forum which is DIA-specific, there is also the DCIPS program (and I cant remember what that stands for except for defense civilian something... I leave the googling as an exercise for the student) which is supposed to be organized along the same lines, but I don't think it quite the same as DIA. I'm pretty sure DIA is DCIPS and you see some postings at other agencies that are open to DCIPS. So there are Army and Navy and other DoD intel jobs which are DCIPS, and it might be easy to move to jobs at those agencies.

Moving to a non-IC agency might have one tricky part, and that is moving from the "Excepted" service (where, apparently, you are excepted from promotions) to the "Competitive" service, and in that case, you would not have "Competitive" status. So you basically can only apply to "All US Citizens" jobs unless there is some special provision in the "Who May Apply" section of the announcement.

I don't know how it is now, but you didn't used to have to worry about Joint Duty Assignments until you were a 14, or maybe a senior 13. I think they can be hard to get because folks want to get their ticket punched.

Edited by user Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:37:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: the uncontrollable urge to wordsmith

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
someoldguy  
#923 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:29:50 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Here's my question: is there only one time of year when they hold promotion boards?

Yes... the promotion boards are conducted annually.

OK, so let's say the promotion board is conducted in June, which means you need to get your packet in by May (just making up dates here, stay with me).

So if you have to get your packet in by May, is there a notional time-in-grade to able to even apply? Like let's say you got hired in April, can you even apply for promotion at my notional May application deadline? Not asking if such a packet would stand a chance of being successful, but would even be allowed to put in a packet?

I ask because maybe it would be a good learning experience to go through the drill once, even if you have very little time on board. And I'm thinking about that first competitive jump from 10 to 11.
Kaliino  
#924 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 2:07:50 AM(UTC)
Kaliino

United States

OK, so let's say the promotion board is conducted in June, which means you need to get your packet in by May (just making up dates here, stay with me).

So if you have to get your packet in by May, is there a notional time-in-grade to able to even apply? Like let's say you got hired in April, can you even apply for promotion at my notional May application deadline? Not asking if such a packet would stand a chance of being successful, but would even be allowed to put in a packet?

I ask because maybe it would be a good learning experience to go through the drill once, even if you have very little time on board. And I'm thinking about that first competitive jump from 10 to 11.

The time-in-grade requirement for each promotion is ONE year, in the previous grade. The Senior Executive pay-grades (above GG-15) might work differently since you have to be appointed anyway. Each pay-grade has an arbitrary set of tasks/skills assigned, for each career field and each career specialty. But it all boils down to... have you been at your current pay-grade for a year? Does your "rater" and "reviewer" like you? Yes? Good. Apply for promotion. Then it's up to the board to "assess" whether or not you're competitive to become promoted. Remember... there's only X amount of slots open for 13, 14, 15, etc. GG-07 to GG-10 is automatically approved. GG-11 is like... 80% approval rate. GG-12 is like 70%. The approval percentage degrades each the higher pay-grade you try to ascend to. P.S... these aren't the true percentages for GG-11/12.

I can't emphasize the billet/pay-grade shenanigans enough. Let's say you enter DIA as a GG-10... but you want to keep working. Well, unfortunately for you, the starting billet caps at GG-11. Alright, so a year later you apply and become GG-11. Now it's time to become a GG-12. After a year as a GG-11, you can apply for promotion and earn your "promotable status". Your (P) status has been granted, but you're not a GG-12 yet, because you're still in a GG-11 billet. Now you have ONE year to find a GG-12 billet, apply for it, and get accepted into it. So there's two processes working alongside each other to get promoted. If you don't fulfill your (P) status, by getting promoted within a year... you lose it. And have to start over again. So... if there are just no damn billets open to the next pay-grade, you're *****ed. If there are billets, but you don't get hired for them, you're *****ed.

For those of you who are still confused about how the promotion process (PAF, board, etc.) works...

New hires get full access to the DIA Promotion Guide as soon as they complete Touchstone.

There's also a "training course", which you can enroll in, that walks you through everything.

Edited by user Friday, December 08, 2017 2:30:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Kaliino for this useful post.
someoldguy on 12/8/2017(UTC), Texas on 12/8/2017(UTC)
someoldguy  
#925 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 4:32:32 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

For those of you who are still confused about how the promotion process (PAF, board, etc.) works...

New hires get full access to the DIA Promotion Guide as soon as they complete Touchstone.

There's also a "training course", which you can enroll in, that walks you through everything.

And I suppose we will get all kinds of advice from our new co-workers, some of which will be helpful.

Some years back, too many to admit, the "journeyman" level was GG-13 and everybody got to GG-13 pretty fast. But I think they have been trying to push that down to GG-12 and make the jump to 13 more competitive.

Edited by user Friday, December 08, 2017 4:34:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: add an afterthought

Strongman 265  
#926 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 4:55:42 AM(UTC)
Strongman 265

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hitman365 Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone provide some personal insight on how long it took from your file getting to the final adjudicator to when you heard from an interested office? I had a lot of shoddy work done on my BI, stuff missing, stuff completely wrong, stuff misinterpreted, stuff added that was never discussed (for the fifth time, no, I have never had a foreign passport of any kind). I chatted with my adjudicator directly and answered her questions in as much detail as I could, but I'm just nervous that this crappy BI work could screw me over :(

From what I understand... the Hiring Managers who "bid" on candidates, do not have access to your background investigation.

All they know is that they have open billets to fill and that there are X amount of people with the appropriate clearance.

Which means... they don't know anything about you if it is NOT listed on your resume. This is both good and bad.

So... if you experience what I did and had completely useless investigators... it doesn't matter if they screwed something up.

The "hiring cycle" occurs every week. Which means... theoretically, that every Friday that passes, is a bad sign for you.

However, since there are so many people on the cleared list, it's entirely possible that you weren't even looked at.

It's also possible that someone looks at you, calls you to share their "interest" in you, and then changes their mind.

For example, a Hiring Manger called me on August 1st. He was like, "so you want the job? OK, you'll hear from me later".

Later happens... and nothing. No contact. I tried calling them. They didn't answer the phone and didn't return my call.

Fast forward a month... HR calls me. "Congrats! Here's your FJO"! Ummm... OK? What happened? Why did it take so long?

"What? You were called a month ago? That sucks. He didn't actually bid on you". Son of a *****, lol.

Moral of this story? Calls from Hiring Managers don't matter. Calls from HR matter. Period.

RE: Resume - since it's been a year for many of us (in that time I've moved from one OCONUS location to another and a completely new job), how can we update the resume which will be viewed by the Hiring Managers? Is that even possible?

(and yes, the new position and locale were all updated in my SF-86 given it took four months to go to CPC)
Tick Tock  
#927 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 8:47:13 AM(UTC)
Tick Tock

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Strongman send your updated resume to the hiring pool. They "updated the one on file" for me when I did that. Just mention like how you did on here that you have a new role etc.
thanks 1 user thanked Tick Tock for this useful post.
Strongman 265 on 12/8/2017(UTC)
MarcusAurelius  
#928 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 6:00:04 PM(UTC)
MarcusAurelius

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This forum has been amazingly helpful!

I need some advice. I was offered a job at a recent hiring event and I received an internship at a government agency prior to receiving the CJO with DIA. The internship would take place during the summer and I was wondering if you guys think my security clearance will come in before that? I am obviously concerned with accepting the internship then having to stop it half way when an alternate could have done the full internship. I read an article stating that TS is taking around 400 days to complete which is pretty lengthy but I do not know how true that is.

Here is the link to the article:
https://news.clearancejo...processing-time-effects/

I am debating between picking up a grocery/restaurant job to save some cash, or doing the internship and risking cutting it short.

Any advice is welcome!
someoldguy  
#929 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 3:17:04 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: MarcusAurelius Go to Quoted Post
I am debating between picking up a grocery/restaurant job to save some cash, or doing the internship and risking cutting it short.

I say go with the internship. The DIA job is not guaranteed and there is certainly no guaranteed timeline.

thanks 2 users thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
rebels8 on 12/11/2017(UTC), Kd17 on 12/11/2017(UTC)
rebels8  
#930 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 3:52:59 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 91 post(s)

I say go with the internship. The DIA job is not guaranteed and there is certainly no guaranteed timeline.

Yeah, I definitely agree with someoldguy. Your professional or career advancement should be your number one priority when it comes to looking for a job. Everybody who receives a CJO from DIA or another IC agency should keep this in mind during the long wait for a FJO.

Edited by user Monday, December 11, 2017 3:56:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#MMlivesmatter
thanks 1 user thanked rebels8 for this useful post.
Kd17 on 12/11/2017(UTC)
Kd17  
#931 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 9:04:17 AM(UTC)
Kd17

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I would say go for both and if DIA calls you first then there’s no need for the internship. If they call you in the middle of the internshp, depending what internship it is, I would say leave.

Edited by user Monday, December 11, 2017 9:04:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Kd17 for this useful post.
MarcusAurelius on 12/11/2017(UTC), rebels8 on 12/11/2017(UTC)
Kaliino  
#932 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 1:27:04 PM(UTC)
Kaliino

United States

I would say to Hell with both, put a down-payment on a sailboat, and coast away into the sunset...
thanks 1 user thanked Kaliino for this useful post.
rebels8 on 12/11/2017(UTC)
MarcusAurelius  
#933 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 1:51:14 PM(UTC)
MarcusAurelius

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I would say to Hell with both, put a down-payment on a sailboat, and coast away into the sunset...

I heard that buying a boat requires a polygraph, psychological evaluation and an endless bureaucratic black hole.
We can’t win.
someoldguy  
#934 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 6:27:40 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

I heard that buying a boat requires a polygraph, psychological evaluation and an endless bureaucratic black hole.
We can’t win.

It's not buying the boat that's difficult, it's getting rid of it.
Tick Tock  
#935 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:34:41 AM(UTC)
Tick Tock

And Now His Watch Is Ended. Merry Christmas to me.
Good luck everyone else!
thanks 2 users thanked Tick Tock for this useful post.
rebels8 on 12/12/2017(UTC), ringslider on 12/12/2017(UTC)
someoldguy  
#936 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:36:11 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Tick Tock Go to Quoted Post
And Now His Watch Is Ended. Merry Christmas to me.
Good luck everyone else!

What does this mean? Did the clock stop ticking? And tocking?
Kd17  
#937 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:36:17 AM(UTC)
Kd17

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 38 post(s)
What does that mean? Good news I hope?
Tick Tock  
#938 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:40:48 AM(UTC)
Tick Tock

FJO in Analysis and not in MM of course lol. Starting Jan 8th.
thanks 3 users thanked Tick Tock for this useful post.
Kd17 on 12/12/2017(UTC), rebels8 on 12/12/2017(UTC), ringslider on 12/12/2017(UTC)
HeyVern  
#939 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:41:48 AM(UTC)
HeyVern

United States

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tick Tock Go to Quoted Post
FJO in Analysis and not in MM of course lol. Starting Jan 8th.

Ayooo!!!!

Congrats and welcome to Club-January!
UX1192  
#940 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:43:13 AM(UTC)
UX1192

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Congrats Tick Tock!!!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed