Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norrec9  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:05:49 AM(UTC)
Norrec9

Groups: Registered
United States

So I was offered a Job today with a very large company that will open up a lot of opportunities for me. They want me to start the beginning of the year BUT they also want me to get a TS/SCI in the near future, which continued employment will be contingent upon. I've had Secret clearance in the past but since then I was charged with a Felony Domestic Violence charge that was withheld for several years while they made sure that it was not a pattern with me and they should not attempt to actually go to court with me on it due to them not having enough evidence. I went through a class that they recommended I attend and was on probation but even the probation officers did not check in with me as often as they were supposed to and were trying to get my case removed since I was not an issue in anyway. 4 years later it has been dismissed completely.

For it to be dismissed I had to agree that if I did screw up within 6 years that I would plead guilty to the original offense. The 6 years was lessened to less than 3 years because no one wanted to deal with me because, again, I was not a problem. Being in Idaho, the details of my situation were against me and the chances of me fighting and winning were low even with no evidence. That’s where the agreement to plea guilty IF I messed up in those 6 years came in. But on the form it just asks if you have been convicted, not charged, which by the letter of the law, I was never convicted. So this is where the "should I take my chances or not" comes into play which is why I’m trying to get information on other's experience. It’s been 4 years since the original charge and almost 2 years since the charge was dismissed.

To add a little background information that may help… This was an incident with my ex-wife where i grabbed her and turned her around, so she would not pull our 3 week old son out of my arms while she was upset about not finding clothes that fit right for a party. When I turned her around the inside of my elbow slipped around her neck while i was holing her hands, once I got her into this position I was able to push her onto the bed and get to the bathroom while she calmed down. The police were called due to her yelling about giving our son back (while I was in the bathroom with him). Fast forward several months, the Felony DV strangulation charge was finally brought up and finished with the agreement of what I stated earlier. Her and I are not on good terms and were not on the best of terms at the time of the incident. I am just hoping this all doesn’t tank my ability to obtain a clearance since it was an isolated incident. I know the main concern is if I have something in my past that someone can hold over me, but all of my family and friends know about this issue and anyone who doesn’t is free to ask me, I have no shame. I know I should of handled the issue much differently, but I didn’t and I took the steps to mitigate the issue and better myself. Unless they are looking at something else that I'm unaware of, this is the only glaring mark on my ‘permanent record'.

Basically I'm trying to find out if I am still eligible for clearance, since continued employment with them is contingent on getting cleared. I have heard conflicting information. I know it greatly depends on being open about it and in that regard I'm an open book. I'm looking for input from others who have either been in my position or who have experience with situations similar to mine. Any information, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated and ultimately help me make my decision on whether or not to accept this opportunity.

If you were in my situation would you accept the risk and take the position or do you think it is too unlikely for me to obtain the clearance given my past? There is nothing else I'm aware of in my past, only some minor financial issues which have been cleared up.

Thanks!
Joe!  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 5:01:43 PM(UTC)
Joe!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The key is to list all the details and all of the mitigating circumstances -

You might have an issue with obtaining an interim clearance - and that could be a deciding factor for employment...
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 5:10:36 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 468 time(s) in 404 post(s)
I'm not sure you mentioned this in your original post... it was a little TLDR :) but how long ago was this? I've known one or two people who had actual felony convictions who got cleared but it was many years later, and the felonies were from their wild, foolish youth.

@Joel makes some good points... many contractors do a security pre-screen and they might not want to take a chance.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Norrec9  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:19:30 AM(UTC)
Norrec9

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure you mentioned this in your original post... it was a little TLDR :) but how long ago was this? I've known one or two people who had actual felony convictions who got cleared but it was many years later, and the felonies were from their wild, foolish youth.

@Joel makes some good points... many contractors do a security pre-screen and they might not want to take a chance.

It was a little long, sorry lol. It happen 11/13, sentencing was 6/14, was dissmissed on 5/17
computerscott2  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:46:48 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Norrec9 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post

It was a little long, sorry lol. It happen 11/13, sentencing was 6/14, was dissmissed on 5/17

One thing to remember is this: A dismissal does not remove the arrest details. I had a friend whose son was hired. His son was accused of some trumped up charges but was arrested. The accuser knew he couldn't substantiate the charge so he did not go to trial and it was dismissed. My friend's son put in and received a federal job. He was asked to fill out the SF-86 and was allowed to start work until the BI was done. On his SF-86 for the question of have you ever been arrested for anything he put no because he thought the dismissal nullified the false arrest. It did not. He thought that it would look bad if he had to report that he had been arrested for something that was untrue so he put No for the "Have you EVER been arrested?" question. He was given the opportunity to resign in lieu of being fired for lying on his SF-86.

So it is in your best interest to answer the questions fully and explain yourself. If it says EVER, it means ever.
Frankish  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:28:57 AM(UTC)
Frankish

United States

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Too much information. The criminal background eliminates the option for an interim clearance. The clearance process is 12-24 months. 12-24 months is not in the "near future". The math does not add up.

Frankly the original post is not yet quoted. I would highly recommend deleting the original post. Too much personal information.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed