Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cafebrown  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:28:38 AM(UTC)
cafebrown

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Returning and new tax examiners. Has anyone heard as to when the refresher training or new hire trainig will begin this coming 2018 tax year? Since tax filing has been set later this year, will February be another month off? Seasonal work in the Fresno area comes and goes sometimes on schedule and sometimes unpredicable.
vjackso7  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:45:49 AM(UTC)
vjackso7

United States

I'm in the Fresno area. I wish I could help but I haven't heard anything. I'd be coming in as a new hire contact rep and I've been waiting months now for a final offer and start date. It's really getting my anxiety up. Does anyone know anything for Fresno?
cafebrown  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:16:00 AM(UTC)
cafebrown

United States

I have been a csr in Fresno. During the hiring process I have found that you can send an email and ask have you sent out all final offers for the csr position. They have always responded. Keep in mind job announcement dates for first day on job can be amended. For example, I came back to IRS in 2004. Due to overhire, I was trained, furloughed and then called to work the following tax year
vjackso7  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:32:11 PM(UTC)
vjackso7

United States

Thanks for the information. It makes me feel a little better having someone to talk to. I did send an email to the agency contact on the original job posting last week and was told that they were still hiring for the position so I *think* that's a good sign. The EOD on the posting was for October 30th of 2017 though and I think that is why I've been a little nervous about not hearing anything. Are csr's trained year round or is there a more set time frame when csr's are trained?
cafebrown  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:15:50 PM(UTC)
cafebrown

United States

They have trained in waves. There is much to be said about looming budget and gov shutdown. Training involves 5 or so consecutive wks of training. It would not be good if they would have to shutdown during training. But, it can be done as we get closer to peak calls. Next years tax laws will be most interesting. The EOD will come, you may not want to rush your new way of life as a csr, its not for the lite hearted.
Daiesunn7  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:40:53 PM(UTC)
Daiesunn7

Woman
United States

Hello cafebrown and vjackso7!
Just passing on a bit of information that might be of help. I am a Fresno new hire for Tax Examining Technician **Temp NTE 1 Yr. (2018). I received and confirmed my final offer the end of December. I am to report to orientation Feb. 5th. The position is also swing shift. I was a CSR in 2015 and it was pretty intense. I did like that we worked paper (1040X) after phones but I guess that is only for those who work swing shift. I liked the night differential too! Anyway, I finished out the season and found another job during leave. I have since left that position and now (crossing my fingers) I am back for a bit. I also applied to the new Contact Rep position that I believe vjackso7 is referring to. I was a Cat A, was selected and after that, I did not hear back anything for some time. I finally emailed the address at the end of my tentative offer letter and soon after received a "we went with another candidate" e-mail, so I just figured it was time to try out other areas. I am curious how the training will be for TET vs. CSR and if it will be anything similar. And given that we do still have funding issues, I am also preparing for the possibility of not working very long. I am just glad to have still gotten the final offer.
cafebrown  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 8:00:07 AM(UTC)
cafebrown

United States

Congratulations on your new job. You will like te tech. I have worked te tech ERS. Since 1993, I have worked as a clerk, data clerk, csr, tax exam tech and tax exam clerk. For the most part IRS has worked with my family schedule day/night, p/t and f/t. The 1040 training is the same for te tech as csr. If you are in ERS you will learn job specfic correction codes. Last year, the te tech worked til about first week of July.
thanks 1 user thanked cafebrown for this useful post.
Daiesunn7 on 1/19/2018(UTC)
Daiesunn7  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 4:40:09 PM(UTC)
Daiesunn7

Woman
United States

Cafebrown, thank you for your congrats and your help! You've got your time in it woman, so you are the expert! Congrats to you too. So again, thanks for your knowledge. It can be tough when you've been waiting and then hearing all the budget and shutdown talk. Some good news is needed! And a potential July release sounds great. We just need to get the budget stuff done...
Maybe you'd know too, my letter stated input corrections. I guess that would mean ERS? Or Unpostables maybe?
spence  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 9:17:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Don't know about Fresno, but Austin has brought some seasonals back for refresher training for a few weeks already, and has some new hires too (especially this week and the week before -- so much so they are out of space in the training rooms on night shift), so the training has been interrupted by the shutdown. More new hires were also due to start soon.

Edited by user Friday, January 19, 2018 9:28:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed