Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Grover  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:15:21 AM(UTC)
Grover

Groups: Registered
United States

Hopefully the right people can shed some light on this:

My understanding is the majority of backlogged cases are NOT TS/SCI SSBI or "Tier 5". The majority of backlogged cases also involve DoD personnel....Three years ago the standard for a secret was a NACLC for Military or an ANACI for Civilian which has now changed to "Tier 3" which is literally the same investigation as the ANACI (unless someone wants to contest that)

The backlogged cases have got to be related to the change with inquires on initial secret level military members. Why is it that OPM waits to mail out background INV forms until an investigator finally gets assigned to the case file? Those INV forms can literally accomplish every "written inquiry" to comply with T3. If these INV forms were automatically populated, printed and mailed by FIPC as soon as OPM receives the enlistment SF-86? By the time an investigator gets around to the case file, most, if not all of the written inquires could have been filled out by respective parties and mailed back to FIPC.

Wouldn't this make more sense? Cut down the backlog? I know not every written inquiry gets filled out correctly, or discrepancies are found between the SF-86 and the INV forms but its a start at least. I just don't see the point of investigators having to physically drive out to a college to pull transcripts, or call & track down a bunch of people if they just mailed this stuff out in the first place and allowed investigators to just focus on the issues that arise thereafter.

Looking at the backlog and the on-time processing percentages from 2014 to 2017 is just insane. It has got to be the change from just a NACLC to adding written inquires in the mix. What am I missing?
Deadwood17  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 09, 2018 6:25:08 PM(UTC)
Deadwood17

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Blame can go around in many areas. One such area is the requesting agencies that want employees to undergo investigation for secret clearances and those employees never end up needing to view classified information.
thanks 1 user thanked Deadwood17 for this useful post.
Grover on 1/10/2018(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 09, 2018 6:49:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Letters and records requests are sent right away. Unless the new activity is developed during the Subject interview (and that is the Subject's fault) no originally scheduled items are "held" until the investigator talks to you.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Grover on 1/10/2018(UTC)
Grover  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:14:10 AM(UTC)
Grover

United States

So the inital request for info sent out by FIPC is good to hear. A system that automatically sends out requests at the beginning makes sense. At least on the military side, what I don't entirely understand yet (at least for initial secret levels for Military members exclusively) is the idea that NBIB seems to be doing some redundant activities.

For instance: Some records required for military enlistments pertaining to records are the intake and verification of Official school transcripts, birth records and selective service registration. So what I don't get is why NBIB doesn't already receive these documents from DoD when the Initial request are made? Its not like Military members claim this stuff on the SF-86 and then needs to be verified by a background check. Its a requirement for Military members to produce (or request their schools send official transcripts to the recruiting offices) official versions of records for enlistments in the first place. It seems that enlistment centers such as MEPS do a lot of the leg work that is normally required for a civilian applying for a clearance. Would accepting these documents from the enlistment system alleviate the need for NBIB to wait around for info to come back from certain sources thus only having to investigate things such as credit, employment and references?

I am talking about Tier 3 and below specifically. I know a SSBI is an entirely different beast, yet amount to a smaller percentages of BI overall.
FatHappyCat  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:42:03 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Grover Go to Quoted Post
So the inital request for info sent out by FIPC is good to hear. A system that automatically sends out requests at the beginning makes sense. At least on the military side, what I don't entirely understand yet (at least for initial secret levels for Military members exclusively) is the idea that NBIB seems to be doing some redundant activities.

For instance: Some records required for military enlistments pertaining to records are the intake and verification of Official school transcripts, birth records and selective service registration. So what I don't get is why NBIB doesn't already receive these documents from DoD when the Initial request are made? Its not like Military members claim this stuff on the SF-86 and then needs to be verified by a background check. Its a requirement for Military members to produce (or request their schools send official transcripts to the recruiting offices) official versions of records for enlistments in the first place. It seems that enlistment centers such as MEPS do a lot of the leg work that is normally required for a civilian applying for a clearance. Would accepting these documents from the enlistment system alleviate the need for NBIB to wait around for info to come back from certain sources thus only having to investigate things such as credit, employment and references?

I am talking about Tier 3 and below specifically. I know a SSBI is an entirely different beast, yet amount to a smaller percentages of BI overall.

It doesn't work like that. OPM and DoD are not 'related' to each other in any way and the investigation needs to be conducted independently. Imagine you're applying for a loan: when the bank does a credit check, will they just accept a credit report that you hand over to them or will they independently make the verification for themselves? When I enlisted god-knows how many years ago, I'm sure they collected info about me, my ssn, driver's licenses, etc. OPM still needs to call SSA, DMVs, school, etc to independently verify it. They don't have outsiders do this for them for obvious reasons.
BackGdInvestigator  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:25:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 47 post(s)
FHC is correct.

Military documents are reviewed for the Subject's clearance. NBIB is the organization that actually goes out and looks at the original source for confirmation/information.

Education records are a great example where we find fake diploma and fake schools that were accepted by an agency or contractor but uncovered during the field work.

Same thing for employments, residences, even listed references.

OPM/NBIB is the third party that checks everything without assumption.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Fed Investigator  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 7:42:58 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 102 post(s)
There is no common sense in the background program anymore.

It's just one dumpster fire after another.

Lol.
thanks 1 user thanked Fed Investigator for this useful post.
Grover on 1/14/2018(UTC)
someoldguy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:12:08 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 462 post(s)
I just saw an interesting video: they had this guy masquerading as a psychic, telling people all these facts about themselves. But he had a little earpiece, and in the end, they revealed a bunch of people on computers finding out stuff about the people over the internet, apparently in real time and passing the info to the 'psychic' over his earpiece.

So it would seem that the 'continuous evaluation' process could find financial issues fairly reliably, and financial issues are the main concern (based on the reasons people get denied).

But what would be involved in setting up "continuous evaluation" through monitoring people's online persona?

Edited by user Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:12:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Grover  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 5:42:25 PM(UTC)
Grover

United States

Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Grover Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't work like that. OPM and DoD are not 'related' to each other in any way and the investigation needs to be conducted independently. Imagine you're applying for a loan: when the bank does a credit check, will they just accept a credit report that you hand over to them or will they independently make the verification for themselves? When I enlisted god-knows how many years ago, I'm sure they collected info about me, my ssn, driver's licenses, etc. OPM still needs to call SSA, DMVs, school, etc to independently verify it. They don't have outsiders do this for them for obvious reasons.

You obviously have no Idea what you are talking about. Military recruiters and the Military Entrance Processing Stations have more of a stake in their recruits passing the clearance process than some random contractor that works for NBIB. These recruiting stations and MEPS facilities conduct their own mini background investigations to confirm things such as education. Most of them have personal relationships with the schools & community colleges they are calling to get background info on. Also, "fake degrees" go through multiple levels of validation prior to being accepted with the Military. The idea that NBIB is going to magically recover "fake" diplomas or college transcripts after the military has gone though multiple levels of validation for said diplomas or transcripts is absolutely absurd. The only thing you seems competent in is reinforcing your worth on the backs of tax payer dime. In other words, find a job else where. You are not that important. Mailing processes and the Military does the majority of your jobs in the first place.

Edited by user Friday, January 19, 2018 5:43:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed