Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
determined2succeed  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:49:07 PM(UTC)
determined2succeed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am currently a fed and have accepted another job offer that was recently presented to me. I am wondering once I get my FO and start date do I 1. Put in my 2-week notice or 2. Do I have to wait for my current employer to release me. I am getting mixed answers from folks at my agency.
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:54:38 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
If you are moving between federal agencies, the 2 HRs should work out the release date. You're not resigning from federal service so there's no 2-week notice.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
Frankish on 1/11/2018(UTC)
determined2succeed  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:09:11 PM(UTC)
determined2succeed

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
If you are moving between federal agencies, the 2 HRs should work out the release date. You're not resigning from federal service so there's no 2-week notice.

so what if my supervisor decides to be a jerk and say we need her for 2 more months? I have to go away and do mandatory training which will be the first week in February.
Frankish  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:54:04 PM(UTC)
Frankish

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: determined2succeed Go to Quoted Post
I am currently a fed and have accepted another job offer that was recently presented to me. I am wondering once I get my FO and start date do I 1. Put in my 2-week notice or 2. Do I have to wait for my current employer to release me. I am getting mixed answers from folks at my agency.

No final offer yet, no issue yet. As noted the associated HR teams will work out the details. Offers are fleeting. The questions are premature. Don't burn the bridge until you are working in the new role.
DaVinci95  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 2:50:29 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)

so what if my supervisor decides to be a jerk and say we need her for 2 more months? I have to go away and do mandatory training which will be the first week in February.

You can try to argue with your supervisor or take it up the chain, but if your new command is OK with it then you at least have a definite start date
SD Analyst  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 9:37:58 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 336 time(s) in 289 post(s)

Your Supervisor cannot prevent you from taking a new job. The standard practice is one pay period for a Promotion, up to 30 days for a lateral transfer. You do not give a notice. Gaining HR contacts losing HR and works out your transfer date. It is not up to your Supervisor. Gaining HR should work out the EOD with you before they even contact your current HR. If your Supervisor is a jerk, don't say anything to him about leaving. Let HR notify him.

Edited by user Friday, January 12, 2018 9:39:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Engineer1111  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 6:58:34 AM(UTC)
Engineer1111

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 50 post(s)
As the others have said, if it's a move to another Federal agency, the HR departments on both ends coordinate a transfer date. Do not submit a resignation or any kind of a notice, as that can be interpreted that you are leaving Federal service and could potentially screw up other things.

The most your management can delay it is 30 days. It's supposed to be a maximum of one pay period that your current management can delay your departure for a promotion, but I've seen those get delayed for 30 days as well.
determined2succeed  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:50:25 PM(UTC)
determined2succeed

Thanks guys. Got the FO for job #1 while waiting on the background for the other job. I didn't say anything to anyone on my job. I provided HR with my POC and they communicated. When I got back from lunch my supervisor asked me if there was something that I wanted to tell her. I said Nope! Everyone in the office knows I'm leaving now.
djp  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 8:08:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Thanks guys. Got the FO for job #1 while waiting on the background for the other job. I didn't say anything to anyone on my job. I provided HR with my POC and they communicated. When I got back from lunch my supervisor asked me if there was something that I wanted to tell her. I said Nope! Everyone in the office knows I'm leaving now.

ideally you do nt want to burn bridges.

the chain is verbal offer---tentative offer letter---submit background check/clearance investigation--firm offer---only then should HRS negotiate a transfer date.

The date is based on pay periods ending and starting.

You never resign to switch jobs.

supervisor finds out shortly after HR office fi nds out

frankgonzalez  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 8:33:02 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 714 time(s) in 546 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
The date is typically based on pay periods ending and starting.
I just added one word. I transferred to my current position exactly one year ago...in the middle of a pay period. It all depends.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed