Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
8 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BackGdInvestigator  
#81 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:52:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 55 post(s)
FedDude - you need to clean out your inbox.

Be careful when you shotgun out PMs like that.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
evanobc  
#82 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 2:12:16 PM(UTC)
evanobc

United States

New to the forum but figured I'd put out my info since I've made it this far...

- B.A. in Criminology
- 8 years with TSA (5 as a screening officer, 3 as a Behavior Detection Officer)

- Applied 8/10/17
- Referred 11/28/17 (Huntsville, AL and others)
- Phone Interview 12/27/17
- Personal Interview 1/11/18
- Tentative Offer 1/30/18 (Huntsville, AL)
- SF-86 submitted 1/31/18
- Drug test and fingerprinting results mailed 2/1/18
- Meeting with BI 2/12/18
- Final Offer?
- EOD?
montholon  
#83 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 5:31:21 AM(UTC)
montholon

United States

Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post
For Federal Dude, I tried to reply to your message but your box is full. My reply is below:

Feel free to bug. It's been over 10 years since I attended the training and a lot has changed since then. From what I've heard though, is that they have 'dumbed down' the class. No more failing exams and you're out, which is good.

My advice is to keep your mouth shut and eyes open. They will teach you things that you don't agree with and many will argue their procedures and reasons. It's pointless. A lot of what you learn in the training will not translate into the field. Just do what they tell you to do and don't be that guy that has to argue every point. Obviously, if you don't understand something, ask questions until you do!

When you get to your field office, you will have to tailor your work, reports, etc. to how your field supervisor wants it done, which will most likely be different than what you learn in the training academy.

Keep all the guides they give, they are very helpful when you are first starting out. You will be inundated with information when you start, it will seem overwhelming but just give it time to sink it. It will eventually make sense.

Make friends with someone who drove there! Sucks to be stuck!

Hi Fed Investigator,

Thanks for passing this on- all good things that I'll definitely keep in mind.

If I might ask another question- is there a particular topic (or topics) at the academy that tends to trip people up and warrants studying over and over?
FederalDude  
#84 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:26:34 PM(UTC)
FederalDude

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks BackGdInvestigator and Fed Investigator for the input here. Sorry about the PM deal i guess you only get a whole whopping space for 3pm's when joining.

Edited by user Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:03:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My timeline:

Applied: August 2017
Interviewed: February 2018
COE: February
Fed Investigator  
#85 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 9:03:24 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: montholon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post
For Federal Dude, I tried to reply to your message but your box is full. My reply is below:

Feel free to bug. It's been over 10 years since I attended the training and a lot has changed since then. From what I've heard though, is that they have 'dumbed down' the class. No more failing exams and you're out, which is good.

My advice is to keep your mouth shut and eyes open. They will teach you things that you don't agree with and many will argue their procedures and reasons. It's pointless. A lot of what you learn in the training will not translate into the field. Just do what they tell you to do and don't be that guy that has to argue every point. Obviously, if you don't understand something, ask questions until you do!

When you get to your field office, you will have to tailor your work, reports, etc. to how your field supervisor wants it done, which will most likely be different than what you learn in the training academy.

Keep all the guides they give, they are very helpful when you are first starting out. You will be inundated with information when you start, it will seem overwhelming but just give it time to sink it. It will eventually make sense.

Make friends with someone who drove there! Sucks to be stuck!

Hi Fed Investigator,

Thanks for passing this on- all good things that I'll definitely keep in mind.

If I might ask another question- is there a particular topic (or topics) at the academy that tends to trip people up and warrants studying over and over?

Not really. Just be prepared to take in a lot of info. Try to get good sleep, eat, whatever will give you the best chance to concentrate.
RangerDanger61  
#86 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:49:21 PM(UTC)
RangerDanger61

United States

Just curious. policy on facial hair/grooming standards?
evanobc  
#87 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:56:54 PM(UTC)
evanobc

United States

I had a full beard in my interview and when I just met with my background investigator yesterday and no one ever said anything about shaving it off so I'm assuming it's all good.
BackGdInvestigator  
#88 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:51:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 55 post(s)
The grooming standards are neat, clean, and professional.

You can have a beard - they will frown at a Mohawk.

Think business person and you will right on target.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Mtc17227  
#89 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:29:09 PM(UTC)
Mtc17227

For you new hires, did you move for your position and how far do you live from your hired area?
evanobc  
#90 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:47:41 PM(UTC)
evanobc

United States

I haven't been officially hired yet but I'm in the background investigation process right now and to answer your question yes, I will be moving about 2 hours away from where I currently live.
Rolltide3511  
#91 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:42:52 PM(UTC)
Rolltide3511

United States

I received my Tentative Offer this week. I will not be moving and live 20 minutes or so from the city I applied for.
Go saints  
#92 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:57:31 PM(UTC)
Go saints

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If an announcement states "Many vacancies, Washington DC" and nothing else for location, does that actually mean all the positions are just in DC and no where else? Or is that verbiage used because HQ OPM is in DC, but the actual duty vacancies are scattered throughout the country even if not specified in the announcement?
montholon  
#93 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 3:44:12 AM(UTC)
montholon

United States

Originally Posted by: Go saints Go to Quoted Post
If an announcement states "Many vacancies, Washington DC" and nothing else for location, does that actually mean all the positions are just in DC and no where else? Or is that verbiage used because HQ OPM is in DC, but the actual duty vacancies are scattered throughout the country even if not specified in the announcement?

My understanding is that those are positions that would be located in the DC office- but perhaps I'm wrong? Anyone have better knowledge?
montholon  
#94 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 4:13:59 AM(UTC)
montholon

United States

Originally Posted by: RangerDanger61 Go to Quoted Post
Just curious. policy on facial hair/grooming standards?

fwiw, I went to my interview with both a trimmed beard and long hair (tied back in a bun, off my shoulders). Didn't get any suspect looks or comments.
Mtc17227  
#95 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:23:15 AM(UTC)
Mtc17227

From my understanding of past postings in the DC area, it is for the area, but you can be placed in Maryland or Virginia as well. Sometimes if a position opens up in the country and they need to fill it they can ask you to go there as well.
BigTomCallahan  
#96 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 1:39:00 PM(UTC)
BigTomCallahan

Man
United States

Hey ya’ll new to this specific forum, but I interviewed like two weeks ago and this wednesday they started calling my former employers listed on my resume. Ive seen a lot of people post that they got tentative offers right after, and am wondering what the standard time frame for tentative offer is.

They seem interested, but it wouldnt be the first time Ive gotten my hopes up.

Thanks yall!
Rolltide3511  
#97 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 7:06:24 PM(UTC)
Rolltide3511

United States

I received my tentative offer about 2 weeks after they started calling my references.
HotPocket08  
#98 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:25:48 AM(UTC)
HotPocket08

United States

Hi all, New to this post, below is my timeline:

6/6/17: Applied
2/1/18: Interviewed
2/7/18: Accepted TO
2/7/18: Onboarding done
2/9/18:Eqip done
2/10/18: Drug test done
2/13/18: Fingerprints done

I received an email stating that nothing else further is needed of me right now. No BI interview yet. Hopefully soon. I wonder if they are going to expedite the new investigators investigation. My offer is for the DMV area btw.
montholon  
#99 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 11:23:28 AM(UTC)
montholon

United States

Originally Posted by: HotPocket08 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, New to this post, below is my timeline:

6/6/17: Applied
2/1/18: Interviewed
2/7/18: Accepted TO
2/7/18: Onboarding done
2/9/18:Eqip done
2/10/18: Drug test done
2/13/18: Fingerprints done

I received an email stating that nothing else further is needed of me right now. No BI interview yet. Hopefully soon. I wonder if they are going to expedite the new investigators investigation. My offer is for the DMV area btw.

For what it's worth- my investigation was fairly simple (limited foreign travel, only a few years of work history, only a few foreign contacts)- I fingerprinted/did eQIP in early October, did my interview in November, and then notified of adjudication in mid-December.

GovHire310  
#100 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 1:25:37 PM(UTC)
GovHire310

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Go saints Go to Quoted Post

I got an offer from the "many vacancies DC" announcement. There are 5 areas within he DC offices and they will assign you to one area
Rss Feed  Atom Feed