Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vet2fed  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 2:37:25 PM(UTC)
vet2fed

Groups: Registered

hello forum, i hope someone can give expert advise. my step 6 to 7 is due within next few months and i am also considering a lateral (same grade and step)transfer to another agency. it is obvious that i wouldn't want to have any issues with the step increase that is due, but the next job's joining may be sooner that that date and it is a lateral transfer.

how can this impact? is this automatic (unless less than fully successful rating and sup does something to stop), will step increase happen regardless of switching jobs i.e. if due in May, I can start new job in Apr, and still get step increase as scheduled in May?

Edited by user Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:00:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ex-military  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:21:45 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 70 post(s)
So, is it a Step increase (as stated in sentence 1) or a Grade increase (as stated in last sentence). There is a big difference between the two. Also, Step and/or Grade increases are not "automatic". Your supervisor has to sign off that your performance is adequate. In any case, if you are changing agencies, I would expect either to be deferred at least another year.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:28:06 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 736 time(s) in 565 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vet2fed Go to Quoted Post
hello forum, i hope someone can give expert advise. my step 6 to 7 is due within 90 days and i am also considering a lateral (same grade and step)transfer to another agency.

how can this impact? is this automatic and will happen regardless of switching jobs? it is obvious that i wouldn't wan to have any issues with the grade increase that is due, but the next job's joining may be sooner that that date and it is a lateral transfer.
Do you mean grade or step? Grade is the GS level, step is the various paypoints within the grade.

Steps typically happen automatically unless your supervisor takes efforts to stop it (typically for poor performance or conduct).

Grade increases happen differently.

If you are moving to a lateral (and if you haven't already applied, I would lay odds the step increase occurs before a decision is made on the selection), then your grade and step transfer as is with the time to the next step also moving with you.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed