Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rbr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:40:39 PM(UTC)
rbr

Groups: Registered

Hello

I was offered a job with USCIS and am going through the on-boarding process. If I successfully get a interim Public Trust is that good for any similar job within that agency or is it only the specific position that I applied for? For example, if I were to get offered another job with a similar clearance requirement would they use the same information that I submitted to this opening or would I have to do the process again? Does already completing the background paperwork expedite the on-boarding process if I receive other offers within the same agency?

Edited by user Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:41:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:59:25 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rbr Go to Quoted Post
Hello

I was offered a job with USCIS and am going through the on-boarding process. If I successfully get a interim Public Trust is that good for any similar job within that agency or is it only the specific position that I applied for? For example, if I were to get offered another job with a similar clearance requirement would they use the same information that I submitted to this opening or would I have to do the process again? Does already completing the background paperwork expedite the on-boarding process if I receive other offers within the same agency?

Public Trust clearances do not take that long so you may actually receive your clearance instead of an interim. Once cleared, then you can use it for other positions in or out of the agency so long as the clearance level is the same. Keep in mind that not all agencies will grant reciprocity so ask the gaining agency if they will accept your clearance.

If you only have an interim, than that is a different animal and you may be restricted on what the agency will accept.

Good luck.
Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!
thanks 1 user thanked Exit7A for this useful post.
Bear3175 on 2/13/2018(UTC)
rbr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:03:59 PM(UTC)
rbr

Thanks....it's funny because I actually still have a current SECRET through DOD yet still have to do a background for the public trust which I believe is a lower classification. I am hoping to hear back about a interim in the next week or two so I can get a EOD date. I only asked because I have applied for other positions as well and if something were to happen with the position I accepted then I don't want to have to wait another few weeks or months as I repeat the process. Thanks again for the information.
happywappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:45:12 PM(UTC)
happywappy

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
A public trust background investigation is not necessarily a quicker or less involved investigation than a background investigation for secret clearance. From what I understand, the background investigations are classified into tiers and there are 5 tiers. The higher the tier, the more work that goes into an investigation.

A public trust investigation can fall into a variety of different tiers depending on the agency and position that you've received an offer for. An indicator of how in depth of an investigation your public trust investigation will be is the form u filled out. Was it an sf86 or sf85p? Sf86 asks more detailed and in depth questions than the 85p.

I went thru a public trust investigation with the irs that required the sf85p. I got an interim and started the job with the interim. I recently went thru another public trust investigation (with uscis) but had to fill out the sf86 instead. According to the opm investigator I interviewed with, my public trust investigation was a tier 5 investigation. People whose job requires a top secret clearance also go thru a tier 5 investigation.

So as u can see, a public trust investigation doesn't mean it's a simple background check. At uscis, depending on your position, u may be required to have access to systems or information that pertain to national security. Or u may be in a position to grant immigration benefits to people which also touches on issues of national security.

Luckily my public trust investigation was completed in less than 8 months, but they (uscis) told me at the very beginning that on average it was taking opm 330 days to complete tier 5 investigations. I do believe that number has gone up to 400+ at this point.
rbr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:50:11 PM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: happywappy Go to Quoted Post
A public trust background investigation is not necessarily a quicker or less involved investigation than a background investigation for secret clearance. From what I understand, the background investigations are classified into tiers and there are 5 tiers. The higher the tier, the more work that goes into an investigation.

A public trust investigation can fall into a variety of different tiers depending on the agency and position that you've received an offer for. An indicator of how in depth of an investigation your public trust investigation will be is the form u filled out. Was it an sf86 or sf85p? Sf86 asks more detailed and in depth questions than the 85p.

I went thru a public trust investigation with the irs that required the sf85p. I got an interim and started the job with the interim. I recently went thru another public trust investigation (with uscis) but had to fill out the sf86 instead. According to the opm investigator I interviewed with, my public trust investigation was a tier 5 investigation. People whose job requires a top secret clearance also go thru a tier 5 investigation.

So as u can see, a public trust investigation doesn't mean it's a simple background check. At uscis, depending on your position, u may be required to have access to systems or information that pertain to national security. Or u may be in a position to grant immigration benefits to people which also touches on issues of national security.

Luckily my public trust investigation was completed in less than 8 months, but they (uscis) told me at the very beginning that on average it was taking opm 330 days to complete tier 5 investigations. I do believe that number has gone up to 400+ at this point.

The position that I was offered with USCIS was a ISO 1 position where I had to fill out a SF86 as well. Although the job announcement said only a public trust clearance was needed lol. I got an email stating that I could be granted a interim public trust and given an advanced EOD after initial review (around 20 days). I have no reason to believe that I wouldn't be granted the interim but am still waiting for an update.

Edited by user Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:52:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

happywappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:54:44 PM(UTC)
happywappy

If you're curious this website breaks down the different tiers:

https://www.clearancejob...ation-costs-for-fy-2018/

It's a site mainly targeted for govt contractors, but there's info there that pertains to everybody.

An investigation for secret clearance can be a tier 3 whereas a public trust investigation can be a tier 2, 4, or in my case 5.
thanks 1 user thanked happywappy for this useful post.
rbr on 2/11/2018(UTC)
happywappy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:58:37 PM(UTC)
happywappy

The position that I was offered with USCIS was a ISO 1 position where I had to fill out a SF86 as well. Although the job announcement said only a public trust clearance was needed lol. I got an email stating that I could be granted a interim public trust and given an advanced EOD after initial review (around 20 days). I have no reason to believe that I wouldn't be granted the interim but am still waiting for an update.

I'm an ISO too. Definitely tier 5 investigation. I was denied interim and had to wait until the background investigation was complete and adjudicated before receiving final offer and getting an EOD. The waiting was painful.
rbr  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:07:19 PM(UTC)
rbr

I'm an ISO too. Definitely tier 5 investigation. I was denied interim and had to wait until the background investigation was complete and adjudicated before receiving final offer and getting an EOD. The waiting was painful.

Did you feel that you would be granted the interim prior to the being notified of the denial or was it expected? For me, there isn't anything in my background that I think would deny me the interim but I don't know the standards. I am pretty deep in the hiring process for two law enforcement agencies so I would likely end up accepting one of those jobs should I get denied the initial clearance rather than wait a year for an investigation, but we will see.
happywappy  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:50:46 PM(UTC)
happywappy

Did you feel that you would be granted the interim prior to the being notified of the denial or was it expected? For me, there isn't anything in my background that I think would deny me the interim but I don't know the standards. I am pretty deep in the hiring process for two law enforcement agencies so I would likely end up accepting one of those jobs should I get denied the initial clearance rather than wait a year for an investigation, but we will see.

I didn't believe one way or the other about getting or not getting the interim. But from what I hear, u can't get access to certain systems that u need for the ISO job until your BI is completed and adjudicated. I'm not sure what the interim people do in the interim when they start the job and can't do their job for lack of systems access.
rbr  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:57:54 PM(UTC)
rbr

I didn't believe one way or the other about getting or not getting the interim. But from what I hear, u can't get access to certain systems that u need for the ISO job until your BI is completed and adjudicated. I'm not sure what the interim people do in the interim when they start the job and can't do their job for lack of systems access.

From what I've been told, the first few months are conducting various training and shadowing of veteran ISOs and after a few months you go to a 5-week residential course at FLETC for additional training. Upon completion, you return to your field office/service center to begin adjudicating cases. That time line makes sense in regard to your statement about the BI needing to be complete prior to full system access. For me, I don't really care what I initially do other than the fact that I would like to have a steady paying job ASAP. Hopefully the interim comes through for me so I can get a FO right away, but if not I will continue to actively pursue the other opportunities that I have.
Frankish  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 10:51:13 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Public Trust is focused on money. Top Secret is focused on information. Treasury is a good example of an organization focused on money and in turn focused on Public Trust clearance. Interim is a 4-6 week process for Public Trust. Clearance is a 6-12 month process for Public Trust. I am of the opinion issues with money will drag out a Public Trust clearance more so than a Top Secret clearance. Extensive international travel would more likely than not be an issue for Top Secret but not for Public Trust, as an example.

Edited by user Monday, February 12, 2018 10:57:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Go saints  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:23:26 AM(UTC)
Go saints

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I had a Secret (at times, Top Secret) clearance continously with DOD for almost 25 years with the required interval re-investigations along the way. Transferred with active clearance to a non-DOD agency requiring Public Trust. This non-DOD agency did not give reciprocity and did a Public Trust on me, taking almost 17 months to adjudicate. I was allowed to work with an interim Public Trust during those 17 months after HR ensured I was not a convicted felon or have an outstanding arrest warrant, but I'm not around computers or nuclear stuff.
rbr  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:58:30 AM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: Go saints Go to Quoted Post
I had a Secret (at times, Top Secret) clearance continously with DOD for almost 25 years with the required interval re-investigations along the way. Transferred with active clearance to a non-DOD agency requiring Public Trust. This non-DOD agency did not give reciprocity and did a Public Trust on me, taking almost 17 months to adjudicate. I was allowed to work with an interim Public Trust during those 17 months after HR ensured I was not a convicted felon or have an outstanding arrest warrant, but I'm not around computers or nuclear stuff.

Given the cost of background investigations, it is ridiculous that these agencies don't give reciprocity to each other. Considering the circumstances, 17 months is a long time to wait for the permanent PT. Still waiting on a decision on my interim but it would be highly unlikely that I would wait on a job (even a government one) for 17 months if I am not granted one.
rbr  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:02:27 AM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: Frankish Go to Quoted Post
Public Trust is focused on money. Top Secret is focused on information. Treasury is a good example of an organization focused on money and in turn focused on Public Trust clearance. Interim is a 4-6 week process for Public Trust. Clearance is a 6-12 month process for Public Trust. I am of the opinion issues with money will drag out a Public Trust clearance more so than a Top Secret clearance. Extensive international travel would more likely than not be an issue for Top Secret but not for Public Trust, as an example.

That's good to hear because my biggest "issue" would be that I have traveled alot overseas over the past few years (usually a few weeks at a time). Even with the travel, I don't hold any foreign ties or have business ventures overseas. Based on this thread, I almost feel that it would actually be easier to get a Top Secret through DOD than a PT through DHS lol.

Exit7A  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:01:16 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 93 post(s)

Given the cost of background investigations, it is ridiculous that these agencies don't give reciprocity to each other. Considering the circumstances, 17 months is a long time to wait for the permanent PT. Still waiting on a decision on my interim but it would be highly unlikely that I would wait on a job (even a government one) for 17 months if I am not granted one.

There are certain time limits to allow for reciprocity. I went from a DoD (Military) Secret to Public Trust without issue due to being within time frame for reciprocity. I hired an individual who also had a DoD Secret but his was outside of the time frame so he had to wait a couple of months for his clearance. Just depends on the agency and their rules.
Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!
rbr  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:07:32 PM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post

There are certain time limits to allow for reciprocity. I went from a DoD (Military) Secret to Public Trust without issue due to being within time frame for reciprocity. I hired an individual who also had a DoD Secret but his was outside of the time frame so he had to wait a couple of months for his clearance. Just depends on the agency and their rules.

Even if outside the timeframe for reciprocity, does at least having a current SECRET clearance generally make it easier to get an interim PT? (Provided that there are no issues with convictions, credit, or contacts)

When you say the individual had to wait a "few months", was there an expedited investigation done for a full clearance or are you referring to the standard 330+ day wait that a PT investigation usually takes?

Edited by user Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:09:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MidwestGator  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:24:00 PM(UTC)
MidwestGator

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My spouse also had an active secret DOD and had to wait 8 months for a DHS PT investigation. To my knowledge, DHS is the only agency that does this.

RBR/Happy, what field office? I am also going through the process with uscis
happywappy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:06:44 PM(UTC)
happywappy

Originally Posted by: MidwestGator Go to Quoted Post
My spouse also had an active secret DOD and had to wait 8 months for a DHS PT investigation. To my knowledge, DHS is the only agency that does this.

I'm not at a field office. I'm at the California service center in Laguna.
happywappy  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:33:38 PM(UTC)
happywappy

In regards to this... (I couldn't tolerate how long the quotes got, so deleted all the old ones)

"From what I've been told, the first few months are conducting various training and shadowing of veteran ISOs and after a few months you go to a 5-week residential course at FLETC for additional training. Upon completion, you return to your field office/service center to begin adjudicating cases. That time line makes sense in regard to your statement about the BI needing to be complete prior to full system access. For me, I don't really care what I initially do other than the fact that I would like to have a steady paying job ASAP. Hopefully the interim comes through for me so I can get a FO right away, but if not I will continue to actively pursue the other opportunities that I have."

Maybe my experience has been different because I work at a service center, but I didn't shadow any veterans or anybody at all. I took a week or so to get all my systems accesses and take mandatory annual security trainings online, I had a week of general immigration overview (about 85-90% of which was not applicable to my job), and then went straight to reviewing/"paper adjudicating" petitions for about 6 weeks before I got actual training which was about a week and a half long.

I'm 2.5 months into the job now and basically performing the full scope of my duties already. The next BASIC starts on March 8, but I've not been told I'll be attending it. Apparently there's a LONG list of ISOs who EOD'ed before me and they're sending people in chronological order by EOD date. But coworkers tell me that u don't necessary learn how to do your job at BASIC. It's just more in depth general immigration overview.
rbr  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:49:26 AM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: MidwestGator Go to Quoted Post

I am being considered for a ISO position in Northern CA....still waiting on the FO.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed