Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ggrimm01  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:42:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello
I have been all over the website for both certs in the subject line. I hope someone can answer or point me in the right direction. Here I go...

I have 17 years of experience, 1 BS degree, MBA in 6 months, and many college credits. Can I use my vast knowledge in procurement & supply chain and put towards either or both certs and get acredited by one or both? How do I go about doing this? I am putting in for 1102 and 346 Gov. Jobs, however they want certification. I am being referred to higher level jobs. I am not looking for step by step detail. I will do that.

Just looking for the right direction. Thank you in advance.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:47:12 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ggrimm01 Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I have been all over the website for both certs in the subject line. I hope someone can answer or point me in the right direction. Here I go...

I have 17 years of experience, 1 BS degree, MBA in 6 months, and many college credits. Can I use my vast knowledge in procurement & supply chain and put towards either or both certs and get acredited by one or both? How do I go about doing this? I am putting in for 1102 and 346 Gov. Jobs, however they want certification. I am being referred to higher level jobs. I am not looking for step by step detail. I will do that.

The experience can be used...once you are in the position and so can get the certification. however, there are also required classes needed to be taken that can only be done as a federal employee.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:47:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Beam Reach  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:18:58 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ggrimm01 Go to Quoted Post
Hello

Your experience and education may get you the job but, at least in the fields I've researched, you cannot substitute experience for the required training courses. also, there are TIG requirements for many of the certification levels above Level 1. For instance FAC-COR level 2 requires that you have served at least 12 months as a COR Level 1. you cannot substitute civilian experience for this.

The good news is that most positions that require certification have a clause like "must attain within 24 months".
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:57:46 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Beam Reach Go to Quoted Post

Your experience and education may get you the job but, at least in the fields I've researched, you cannot substitute experience for the required training courses. also, there are TIG requirements for many of the certification levels above Level 1. For instance FAC-COR level 2 requires that you have served at least 12 months as a COR Level 1. you cannot substitute civilian experience for this.

The good news is that most positions that require certification have a clause like "must attain within 24 months".

There's not a TIG requirement for DAWIA, but you do have to have the relevant experience. Time in private sector jobs or in Fed jobs not subject to DAWIA can be used to meet the experience requirements.

Also you don't have to have lower level certification to get higher levels. You do have to take all the classes required for the lower levels, but if you have the requisite experience you can jump straight to level 3 certification.
ggrimm01  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:37:35 PM(UTC)

Thanks these are good things to know.
FedCivServ  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 11:54:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 129 post(s)
You are not speaking for all agencies...mine DOES require individuals to get each concurrent level of certification and i thought that was DAWIA policy in general. The only way to get credit for time "served" outside is to apply for adjudication credit with the agency Defense Acquisition Career Manager (DACM) and it's their final call whether the experience you have outside will be credited toward the time for DAWIA. You do have to take the classes, and each functional stall has specific years required on an acquisition position to get each subsequent level of certification. The "must attain in 24 months" means if you are hired for say, a Level II position, you have 24 months to get certified to that level. In most career fields, to get to Level II it takes 24 months so if you sit on the position and take the training, someone off the street could get Level II in 2 years. Level 3 requires between 4-8 years depending on the area. You can look at the DAWIA statute (just google it) and it tells you all these things.
Frogger  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 3:26:06 AM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 65 post(s)
The training is mandated by Congress.
DODtoDOCtoDOD  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 7:09:01 AM(UTC)
DODtoDOCtoDOD

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Exactly, if you're in an acquisition coded position you have to be certified; level is dependent on level of responsibility, etc.

I would do DAWIA if possible since it directly translates to the equivalent FAC certification (e.g. DAWIA PM lvl 3 = FAC P/PM lvl 3), but FAC certification doesn't necessarily mean you can get the DAWIA equivalent. The hurdle: I believe you have to be in an acquisition coded position to be given the DAWIA certification even if you meet the education and experience requirements.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed