Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Johns  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:25:35 PM(UTC)
Johns

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Guys we got a email today regarding IRS IT hiring surge for 2018 they encourage everyone who qualified to apply its for both internal and external most of job opening close by next week so please share and apply.

All the best.
Hired 2015  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 9:00:29 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I have a degree and experience in IT. When these jobs were first posted they were remain in POD nationwide. Now they flipped and limited the locations. Most experienced IT people won't compromise to move no matter what the pay is. They expect you to move to pay you less with budget uncertainty. SQL that

SELECT
Low_Pay_Grade
FROM
people_with_no_experience
WHERE
lack_of_skills="yes"
AND
degree="no"
THEN
hire

HTML, Perl, Visual Basic, Web Developer with budget skills and financial background well SOL that.

Edited by user Sunday, March 11, 2018 9:02:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Hired 2015 for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 3/16/2018(UTC), worker on 3/28/2018(UTC)
meinhoonna  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 1:20:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thanks Johns. Not sure what triggered this surge of jobs in various areas across the country. I do agree with Hired 2015 on a lot of things about it. Hopefully this time they are actually hiring and not selecting.
Hired 2015  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 6:56:33 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

I know IT people that commute to work in the office once a month from their rural homes half across the country. Is it realistic for IT trained people with student loans to pay to start out entry seasonal in customer service within budget uncertainty?
thanks 1 user thanked Hired 2015 for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 3/16/2018(UTC)
Fed Prospect  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 7:39:03 AM(UTC)
Fed Prospect

United States

Love your select statement- lol.

I believe they have been amending some of the announcements this morning in regards to location.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 8:27:26 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I know IT people that commute to work in the office once a month from their rural homes half across the country. Is it realistic for IT trained people with student loans to pay to start out entry seasonal in customer service within budget uncertainty?

No, no it isn't.
Hired 2015  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:32:49 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

These jobs lack the future state. Too many today's gen IT college grads end up defaulting on debt over juggling relocations for jobs. The reality is more are living with their parents and taking lower pay jobs outside IT due to housing considerations. I was shocked during furlough when my unemployment office asked me to consider a non paid volunteer job working with displaced IT'ers and teaching a coding camp. Contradiction of ideas was atypical. Best part of an IT degree is you can always work for free. Midwest has unemployed IT'ers that can't afford to move. FYI the jobs boards in my area were flagged these openings as not legit.
meinhoonna  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 3:18:47 AM(UTC)

Does anyone with information know what's going on with this hiring? Is there an actual budget for the number of positions that are opened? Last thing anyone wants is IRS predicting that they will be funded for these and getting cut in their first year.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:12:38 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: meinhoonna Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone with information know what's going on with this hiring? Is there an actual budget for the number of positions that are opened? Last thing anyone wants is IRS predicting that they will be funded for these and getting cut in their first year.

What budget? There is no budget. We're on Continuing Resolution #5 which runs out at 2359 EDT on Friday, March 23nd. Nobody has seen the draft text of the bloody overdue omnibus budget that's rumored to be in the works. Without that we don't even know what we're doing with the seasonal CSRs. People at Cleveland are planning as if we're getting thrown overboard when we lose "essential-excepted" status at the close of filing season if we still don't have a budget.

Don't get your hopes up about any hiring surge. A surge in resignations, though, could always potentially happen. That might prove interesting to see play out to see who jumps ship if things deteriorate that far.

The light from the Future State lighthouse is dimming.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
segarrasg on 3/16/2018(UTC)
meinhoonna  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 3:29:30 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

What budget? There is no budget. We're on Continuing Resolution #5 which runs out at 2359 EDT on Friday, March 23nd.

Ok, let me rephrase are these positions funded - I am not going in detail if they will be appropriated or some other funds but generally speaking where does IRS plan to get the money for so many. Thank you for the other information about how things within other groups are going. No, I don't have hopes high, in fact, it makes me question how they are able to "advertise" so many positions.

Edited by user Friday, March 16, 2018 3:31:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 5:26:12 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: meinhoonna Go to Quoted Post

What budget? There is no budget. We're on Continuing Resolution #5 which runs out at 2359 EDT on Friday, March 23nd.

Ok, let me rephrase are these positions funded - I am not going in detail if they will be appropriated or some other funds but generally speaking where does IRS plan to get the money for so many. Thank you for the other information about how things within other groups are going. No, I don't have hopes high, in fact, it makes me question how they are able to "advertise" so many positions.

Having them be "roster" announcements even for internal applicants means nothing is funded immediately but may become funded during the 6 month life of the roster. A maximum number of picks are announced but the minimum is zero. This allows HCO to see what hiring pools are available while they wait on enactment of a more permanent budget.

If you need an immediate job, try a different job announcement. This is only window shopping right now.
Hired 2015  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 7:18:24 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Funny and true story. A zillion years ago in the wake of the first entitlement rollbacks about 100 women lost their clerical jobs in the land where it all began. Just a year later local governments couldn't replace the backbone clerical people that retired. A quirky, flippy deal in the law existed back then for the local governments to recall the women they fired. As things go there was a hoopla. The gals went back to work and stayed on the job until they retired. Not a single one of them ever applied for any job advancement despite the fact many had a college degree. The women never had to apply for a job advancement as a condition of returning to their jobs. My mother was one of those women with academic honors in urban planning. She remained a secretary and was one of the lowest paid workers. As those women said they were seasonal school workers and management never bothered to ask them to apply for other jobs. One of the gals finished a doctoral and spoke four languages working in the steno pool.
meinhoonna  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 4:20:53 AM(UTC)

If you need an immediate job, try a different job announcement. This is only window shopping right now.

Thank you for the information. I was trying to figure out what was going on with IRS. While I am looking at other options right now hopefully, something works out soon.
worker  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:09:57 PM(UTC)
worker

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I have a degree and experience in IT. When these jobs were first posted they were remain in POD nationwide. Now they flipped and limited the locations. Most experienced IT people won't compromise to move no matter what the pay is. They expect you to move to pay you less with budget uncertainty. SQL that

SELECT
Low_Pay_Grade
FROM
people_with_no_experience
WHERE
lack_of_skills="yes"
AND
degree="no"
THEN
hire

HTML, Perl, Visual Basic, Web Developer with budget skills and financial background well SOL that.

"Very cute"
worker  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:14:20 PM(UTC)
worker

I checked out the listing. I wondered what was going on. The salary range is all over the place.
FrankJr  
#16 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2018 9:03:39 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Poplou Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if someone with my background would be considered for the IRS IT Pathways jobs postings?

Basically, I currently have a B.S. in poli sci with business minors (magna cum laude).

I'm in community college currently with a graduation date in December 2018 with an AAS in computer programming.

I also have A+, Network+, Security+ and Microsoft MCDST/MCP/MTA certifications. Basically zero IT work experience though other than independent software development on my own. (I have software currently for download and used by others)

Please limit posts to one forum. Asking the same question over and over again expecting a different answer...
Hired 2015  
#17 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2018 3:41:12 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Frontline managers are not software programmers.

What we don't understand we can't manage.

The Future State in the process improvement lifecycle has achieved all it can in non-IT areas. Suggestions for IRM changes are relevant nickel and dime savings implemented by frontline staff based their non-IT skills. Its the IT workers that will save far more. The skill levels of the two groups are both needed and valuable in different ways. IT workers are valuable in their own way with their skills. Frontline managers haven't been trained to accept that difference and diversity IT workers bring to the table.

You can't embrace a skill diversity work group when you only want to hear your side and fear the unknown.

Many years ago a family brought a concern about the IRS hiring to a public school system future scholar group. Their child had worked hard attending high school in a homeless shelter to finish school. The group had helped their child apply to the IRS. We were all shocked when that kid got really negative reviews and was given the option to resign. The strange part was the kid had IT training and was one of the future scholar grads that had an associate degree.

You can't begin to embrace skill diversity when you don't retain workers.

What happened in the future scholar program is a big a clue for Future State. The program no longer advertises, promotes or helps students apply to the IRS. That had a ripple with local colleges not listing IRS jobs. The future scholar group was made up of volunteers from every walk of life. They never had any funding nor did they fundraise, they weren't a non-profit. They asked the question why were high school grads living blocks away from major employers not getting jobs. The grads applied to the employers to find the answer. The group was made up of teachers and parents. The answer was the companies including the IRS some far distance past was disappointed after hiring a local high school grad. That got passed from one manager to another until the doors were locked for future grads.

You can't create diversity in the workplace by feeding the poor to keep them in poverty when you don't want to hire them. Diversity can't be created by following outdated hiring and training policies designed to exclude.

Future State relies on Future Scholars.

Diversity requires inclusion and inclusion requires acceptance.

How are you going to get there when many policies and word game rules are culturally insensitive to outsiders that feel excluded? I hail from a city of many languages and speak so-so French but I do spell cheque the way it is spelled in my hometown. Diversity says that is OK.

Edited by user Saturday, June 02, 2018 5:22:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Vostroya  
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2018 7:05:47 PM(UTC)
Vostroya

United States

Originally Posted by: Johns Go to Quoted Post
Guys we got a email today regarding IRS IT hiring surge for 2018 they encourage everyone who qualified to apply its for both internal and external most of job opening close by next week so please share and apply.

All the best.

Im glad to hear they want to hire a bunch. Ive put in for every GS5 & 7 spot that i thought i qualified for.

Most of the positions are listed as closing sometime early next year. Do you or anyone else know how long it usually takes for when they want to start making selections?

(Also hi everyone, im new to the forum!)
Pittsburgh_Bill  
#19 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 1:41:57 PM(UTC)
Pittsburgh_Bill

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Where is the hiring surge? I would love to find a new job.
moveupmoveon  
#20 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 7:40:44 AM(UTC)
taco_tuesdays

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Has anyone applied to these IT positions? If so, have you heard anything back?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed