Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge


Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.


To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DroneBee  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:31:18 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 420

Thanks: 163 times
Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
burn the system down


I agree Frank - the EEOC system is a total waste of taxpayer funds.

frankgonzalez  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:05:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,754

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DroneBee Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
burn the system down


I agree Frank - the EEOC system is a total waste of taxpayer funds.

I can see why your management had an issue with you...you appear to have selective ability to read or respond. I did not say burn the system down, but said you appear to want that...and you confirmed it. And as your last two posts are troll like, this is my last response to you.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
DroneBee  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:30:22 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 420

Thanks: 163 times
Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
this is my last response to you.



Your typing to God's ears! I hope so.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Harrigan on 3/18/2018(UTC)
Harrigan  
#24 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:18:32 PM(UTC)
Harrigan

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/25/2015(UTC)
Posts: 14
United States
Location: Washington D.C

Thanks: 17 times
Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thank you DroneBee. I sincerely appreciate the effort you have made over the years to inform federal employees who visit this cite about what to expect from the EEO process, and particularly the EEOC. Frank, in my opinion, the 1 percent chance of prevailing in a discrimination complaint and 2 percent chance of prevailing in a retaliation complaint absolutely proves that the EEO process is a sad, sick joke on federal employees. I have never met a federal employee who would file a discrimination or retaliation complaint if they had not experienced discrimination or retaliation. In my opinion, as a person with a decade of experience in the EEO process, your suggestion that the 98 percent failure rate of the process can be explained away is ridiculous. Again, thank you DroneBee for warning those who are considering their options.
thanks 1 user thanked Harrigan for this useful post.
DroneBee on 3/19/2018(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 3:47:39 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,754

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Harrigan Go to Quoted Post
Thank you DroneBee. I sincerely appreciate the effort you have made over the years to inform federal employees who visit this cite about what to expect from the EEO process, and particularly the EEOC. Frank, in my opinion, the 1 percent chance of prevailing in a discrimination complaint and 2 percent chance of prevailing in a retaliation complaint absolutely proves that the EEO process is a sad, sick joke on federal employees. I have never met a federal employee who would file a discrimination or retaliation complaint if they had not experienced discrimination or retaliation. In my opinion, as a person with a decade of experience in the EEO process, your suggestion that the 98 percent failure rate of the process can be explained away is ridiculous. Again, thank you DroneBee for warning those who are considering their options.
I would guess I have met way more people than you that have filed EEO complaints. The vast majority had issues with what was occuring to them in the workplace, and much of it would be what I term "ain't right!" That said, the vast majority of those issues were not due to a basis that falls under the EEOC...and so will fail if it gets to the EEOC or federal district court. Just because it "ain't right" doesn't mean it is illegal or a violation of EEO laws.

The individual who is written up for AWOL for not following leave request procedures after being put on a leave restriction letter because they were always not showing up...They come in and file EEO complaints. People who get less than perfect appraisals come in to file EEO complaints (and I've seen these same people put "met objectives" as their input on those same appraisals. "Met Objectives" is "Meets" at best. But they feel their supervisor should give them a perfect appraisal when they themselves aren't willing to put any effort into the same appraisal). The person who pops positive on an urinalysis test (a condition of employment) files an EEO complaint. And so on. And these people help drive that rate for success by complainants down.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
nightchop  
#26 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:37:48 AM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2012(UTC)
Posts: 82

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
That's great, frank. Now how about you share some examples of cases where an aggrieved employee with a legitimate complaint was completely railroaded by the system? Or is your argument that is simply doesn't happen as often as people think, because AJs (EEOC or otherwise) are generally ethical people who do the right thing?
TheRealOrange  
#27 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 7:19:48 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 451

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
That's great, frank. Now how about you share some examples of cases where an aggrieved employee with a legitimate complaint was completely railroaded by the system? Or is your argument that is simply doesn't happen as often as people think, because AJs (EEOC or otherwise) are generally ethical people who do the right thing?

I don't think it happens nearly as often as people think, at least not due to discrimination. On the other hand, I think people very often have legitimate complaints of improper treatment but no effective means of addressing that treatment outside of the EEO process, and that's why so many go there even if discrimination is not involved. In over 30 years of being involved in the process, I believe that EEOC employees and AJs bend over backwards to assist and support complainants. In fact, I think the EEOC is extremely pro complainant, even at the Office of Federal Operations. Anyone who has ever attended multiple EEOC hearings, EEOC commission meetings, or even EEO training sessions should be able to easily see that. But, there is only so much they can do. Does that entirely explain the low success rates? No. But, I think Frank's general viewpoint is pretty close to reality.
Nurse4KU  
#28 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 8:20:09 AM(UTC)
Nurse4KU

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/23/2015(UTC)
Posts: 25
Woman
Location: texas

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Update after pre-hearing conference: I just had my pre-hearing conference last week where I was on a call with the Agency RC & AJ. The AJ stated that she will push for summary judgement. The RC stated there was no way for any monetary compensation to be offered at this time. My hearing is scheduled for end of the month.
I am not sure what to expect as far as a counter offer from the RC, I have no reason not to go to hearing if the RC is unable to meet some of my demands which I believe are not unrealistic, mainly just reimbursement of my lawyer fees and reassignment to a new position away from my current supervisors.

Any input as to what to expect after pre-hearing conference and possible summary judgement of some of my complaints. I have several EOC's and addendum's.
Hawaiiannative  
#29 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 4:42:24 PM(UTC)
Hawaiiannative

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 60
United States
Location: Hawaii

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I think people are routinely retailiated against, and by the time there is enough evidence for an actual case valid for investigation, the poor employee is basically a wreck, depressed, doing badly at work, the end game is to either get them so miserable they quit, or continue to write them up for, whatever...so that a case has been built over time, to make the employee look like a crazed, borderline mental case. And they self destruct from the stress, or get fired. The end goal is to wear down the complaintant, with filings, hearings, on and on...until they give up. Few people have endless funds for an attorney, it is a stacked deck. Against the government, with attorneys on salary.
nightchop  
#30 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:20:55 PM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2012(UTC)
Posts: 82

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hawaiiannative Go to Quoted Post
I think people are routinely retailiated against, and by the time there is enough evidence for an actual case valid for investigation, the poor employee is basically a wreck, depressed, doing badly at work, the end game is to either get them so miserable they quit, or continue to write them up for, whatever...so that a case has been built over time, to make the employee look like a crazed, borderline mental case. And they self destruct from the stress, or get fired. The end goal is to wear down the complaintant, with filings, hearings, on and on...until they give up. Few people have endless funds for an attorney, it is a stacked deck. Against the government, with attorneys on salary.


Yep. This is why some people bypass the redtape and leak information to the press. Of course, that comes with its own risks.
DroneBee  
#31 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 10:11:08 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 420

Thanks: 163 times
Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Update after pre-hearing conference: I just had my pre-hearing conference last week where I was on a call with the Agency RC & AJ. The AJ stated that she will push for summary judgement.


I believe this means that the AJ will make a determination based on the record, not the hearing. However, you should still prepare for the hearing.

Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
The RC stated there was no way for any monetary compensation to be offered at this time.


That's because the agency believes that it will win; the agency wins in 98% to 100% of the EEOC cases.

Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
My hearing is scheduled for end of the month.


Per the AJ's summary judgment determination, it is unlikely you will have a hearing at all.

Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
I am not sure what to expect as far as a counter offer from the RC


I don't understand this comment - the agency's counsel stated that there is no monetary compensation - isn't this the counter offer?

Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
I have no reason not to go to hearing if the RC is unable to meet some of my demands which I believe are not unrealistic, mainly just reimbursement of my lawyer fees and reassignment to a new position away from my current supervisors.


It's not the agency counsel that decides the judgment - the AJ does. If you do have a hearing, you should definitely go.

Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Any input as to what to expect after pre-hearing conference and possible summary judgement of some of my complaints. I have several EOC's and addendum's.


I'm not sure the status of all these "several" complaints, but if these complaints are being reviewed by the same AJ, then it is likely that the AJ will make a determination of all at one time based on the record, which is summary judgment. This means that the AJ believes that the case is clear-cut and no further help from the witnesses is needed. Remember, that the hearing is to help the AJ understand - it is not to "catch" anyone, but to make the issues clear on their face to the AJ, who is the "decider."

Good luck and God Bless.

frankgonzalez  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:24:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,754

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Update after pre-hearing conference: I just had my pre-hearing conference last week where I was on a call with the Agency RC & AJ. The AJ stated that she will push for summary judgement. The RC stated there was no way for any monetary compensation to be offered at this time. My hearing is scheduled for end of the month.
I am not sure what to expect as far as a counter offer from the RC, I have no reason not to go to hearing if the RC is unable to meet some of my demands which I believe are not unrealistic, mainly just reimbursement of my lawyer fees and reassignment to a new position away from my current supervisors.

Any input as to what to expect after pre-hearing conference and possible summary judgement of some of my complaints. I have several EOC's and addendum's.
A little confused. Summary Judgment is granted only when there are no facts in dispute and all evidence is looked at in the light most favorable to the non-moving party (ie the agency counsel moves for summary judgement, then the AJ/Judge must look at record in the light most favorable towards the complainant, that is all benefit of doubt goes to the complainant in this example).

Have you had depositions and discovery yet? If not, what reason was given by the AJ to not allow discovery/depositions? You should have a motion from the agency counsel moving for summary judgement, and you need to dispute it line by line where it is not accurate. Identify the facts that are in dispute.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
frankgonzalez  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:29:20 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,754

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
That's great, frank. Now how about you share some examples of cases where an aggrieved employee with a legitimate complaint was completely railroaded by the system? Or is your argument that is simply doesn't happen as often as people think, because AJs (EEOC or otherwise) are generally ethical people who do the right thing?

I don't think it happens nearly as often as people think, at least not due to discrimination. On the other hand, I think people very often have legitimate complaints of improper treatment but no effective means of addressing that treatment outside of the EEO process, and that's why so many go there even if discrimination is not involved. In over 30 years of being involved in the process, I believe that EEOC employees and AJs bend over backwards to assist and support complainants. In fact, I think the EEOC is extremely pro complainant, even at the Office of Federal Operations. Anyone who has ever attended multiple EEOC hearings, EEOC commission meetings, or even EEO training sessions should be able to easily see that. But, there is only so much they can do. Does that entirely explain the low success rates? No. But, I think Frank's general viewpoint is pretty close to reality.
Nightchop...as I stated, most people I see come in have legitimate gripes, but they are not discrimination (as defined by the law). Your boss is a nasty micromanager? Not illegal if they do it to everyone. Is nasty to you because it is personal...not illegal in the EEO laws (might fall under some other laws, just not EEOC's purview). And so on. Even the SCOTUS said the Civil Rights laws are not civility laws.

On the other hand, for cases where there appears to be liability, I have usually seen the agency settle before it gets to a point where there is a ruling. The stronger the case, the earlier the settlement. This also plays a factor in the low decision rate in the EEOC realm.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TheRealOrange  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:44:22 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 451

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Update after pre-hearing conference: I just had my pre-hearing conference last week where I was on a call with the Agency RC & AJ. The AJ stated that she will push for summary judgement. The RC stated there was no way for any monetary compensation to be offered at this time. My hearing is scheduled for end of the month.
I am not sure what to expect as far as a counter offer from the RC, I have no reason not to go to hearing if the RC is unable to meet some of my demands which I believe are not unrealistic, mainly just reimbursement of my lawyer fees and reassignment to a new position away from my current supervisors.

Any input as to what to expect after pre-hearing conference and possible summary judgement of some of my complaints. I have several EOC's and addendum's.

As Frank already noted, the summary judgment comment is a little confusing. In my experience, summary judgment is generally granted only after a motion by one party or the other, not by an AJ on his/her own. And, the judgment is not based on a case being clear cut, but rather is on the basis that there is no dispute as to any material facts in the case. That is, both you and the agency agree to all of the facts pertinent to the case, or the available evidence shows that the facts are not in dispute. That's why Frank asked about discovery. A party usually makes a summary judgment motion after all discovery has been completed, and uses the evidence obtained through discovery to show that there are no material facts in dispute. Assuming that is the case, then the AJ can make a decision based solely on the law, since the facts are not in question. If there are any material facts in dispute, then a summary judgment cannot be granted. So, as Frank also noted, you should review the motion made by the agency, address it fully, and clearly identify any "facts" asserted by the agency that you dispute.
Nurse4KU  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:04:00 AM(UTC)
Nurse4KU

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/23/2015(UTC)
Posts: 25
Woman
Location: texas

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Update after pre-hearing conference: I just had my pre-hearing conference last week where I was on a call with the Agency RC & AJ. The AJ stated that she will push for summary judgement. The RC stated there was no way for any monetary compensation to be offered at this time. My hearing is scheduled for end of the month.
I am not sure what to expect as far as a counter offer from the RC, I have no reason not to go to hearing if the RC is unable to meet some of my demands which I believe are not unrealistic, mainly just reimbursement of my lawyer fees and reassignment to a new position away from my current supervisors.

Any input as to what to expect after pre-hearing conference and possible summary judgement of some of my complaints. I have several EOC's and addendum's.
A little confused. Summary Judgment is granted only when there are no facts in dispute and all evidence is looked at in the light most favorable to the non-moving party (ie the agency counsel moves for summary judgement, then the AJ/Judge must look at record in the light most favorable towards the complainant, that is all benefit of doubt goes to the complainant in this example).

Have you had depositions and discovery yet? If not, what reason was given by the AJ to not allow discovery/depositions? You should have a motion from the agency counsel moving for summary judgement, and you need to dispute it line by line where it is not accurate. Identify the facts that are in dispute.


The hearing is scheduled for end of March. After the ROI was completed my cases sat untouched for years. My lawyer at the time did not request discovery, the ROI was accurate and complete. There was no additional information that was missing or incorrect in the ROI, the investigator did an excellent. job.
The RC that I spoke to was assigned to my case only a week before my pre-hearing conference. During the call the AJ made it clear to the RC that he needed to talk to me about settlement. The RC stated he is not authorized to provide monetary compensation. I was unable to continue paying my lawyer, so I am doing this on my own now. I had not heard anything on my cases for over 1.5 years and then out of the blue a hearing was scheduled. I am trying to understand what summary judgement means in my case. Preparing for the hearing and traveling requires a great deal of time and planning. During the call the AJ stated she felt some of the issues would be issues summary judgement. I am also confused, and not sure if there was something going on in background between the AJ and RC. But the RC was brand new to my case. I have never received a motion from the Agency counsel moving for summary judgement. Should I be asking the RC or AJ for clarification? I need a lawyer but it too complicated now I assume.
yulacu  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:54:11 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 60

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
"Summary Judgment is granted only when there are no facts in dispute and all evidence is looked at in the light most favorable to the non-moving party (ie the agency counsel moves for summary judgement, then the AJ/Judge must look at record in the light most favorable towards the complainant, that is all benefit of doubt goes to the complainant in this example)."

Not necessarily. An AJ may consider summary disposition sua sponte (on their own accord). See Chapter 5, Section II, Part B. https://www.eeoc.gov/federal/ajhandbook.cfm

On Administrative Judge's Sua Sponte Determination
Contents of Notice
The Administrative Judge's notice to the parties regarding his/her intent to issue a decision without a hearing must: (1) indicate in whose favor summary judgment is being proposed; (2) identify the applicable legal standards and burdens of proof with respect to each claim; (3) set forth the legal standards for issuance of a decision without a hearing; (4) identify the undisputed material facts which appear to be dispositive of the case; and (5) direct the parties to cite to specific evidence contained in the report of investigation which creates a factual dispute regarding a material issue and to include any relevant documentary evidence or witness statements, interrogatory answers, admissions, or other supporting materials from outside the report of investigation, with an explanation of the relevance of all materials submitted. The Administrative Judge need only identify those undisputed material facts which would be dispositive of the case. For example, in a retaliation case, the record may show that numerous facts are in dispute, including why a letter of warning was issued or why other comparative employees were not disciplined. However, where the record does not contain evidence of any prior protected activity, the Administrative Judge may identify only that fact as being material to the disposition of the case. A model notice is attached as Appendix E.

Response
Both parties have fifteen days from receipt of the Administrative Judge's sua sponte notice to submit a response. In addition, both parties should be granted five days from receipt of each other's responses to submit a reply. The Administrative Judge should consider a response by a party that evidence being sought through discovery is necessary to adequately respond to the sua sponte notice and may provide the parties an opportunity for limited discovery or some other appropriate means of information gathering specifically designed to respond to the sua sponte notice.

Failure to Respond/Untimely Response to Notice
A party's failure to respond to the Administrative Judge's notice of intent to issue a summary disposition is not grounds for a sanction. Where a response is not timely filed, the Administrative Judge should exercise discretion as to whether to consider the response, taking into account, among other things, whether good cause has been shown for the delay.
frankgonzalez  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:29:40 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,754

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 816 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Update after pre-hearing conference: I just had my pre-hearing conference last week where I was on a call with the Agency RC & AJ. The AJ stated that she will push for summary judgement. The RC stated there was no way for any monetary compensation to be offered at this time. My hearing is scheduled for end of the month.
I am not sure what to expect as far as a counter offer from the RC, I have no reason not to go to hearing if the RC is unable to meet some of my demands which I believe are not unrealistic, mainly just reimbursement of my lawyer fees and reassignment to a new position away from my current supervisors.

Any input as to what to expect after pre-hearing conference and possible summary judgement of some of my complaints. I have several EOC's and addendum's.
A little confused. Summary Judgment is granted only when there are no facts in dispute and all evidence is looked at in the light most favorable to the non-moving party (ie the agency counsel moves for summary judgement, then the AJ/Judge must look at record in the light most favorable towards the complainant, that is all benefit of doubt goes to the complainant in this example).

Have you had depositions and discovery yet? If not, what reason was given by the AJ to not allow discovery/depositions? You should have a motion from the agency counsel moving for summary judgement, and you need to dispute it line by line where it is not accurate. Identify the facts that are in dispute.


The hearing is scheduled for end of March. After the ROI was completed my cases sat untouched for years. My lawyer at the time did not request discovery, the ROI was accurate and complete. There was no additional information that was missing or incorrect in the ROI, the investigator did an excellent. job.
The RC that I spoke to was assigned to my case only a week before my pre-hearing conference. During the call the AJ made it clear to the RC that he needed to talk to me about settlement. The RC stated he is not authorized to provide monetary compensation. I was unable to continue paying my lawyer, so I am doing this on my own now. I had not heard anything on my cases for over 1.5 years and then out of the blue a hearing was scheduled. I am trying to understand what summary judgement means in my case. Preparing for the hearing and traveling requires a great deal of time and planning. During the call the AJ stated she felt some of the issues would be issues summary judgement. I am also confused, and not sure if there was something going on in background between the AJ and RC. But the RC was brand new to my case. I have never received a motion from the Agency counsel moving for summary judgement. Should I be asking the RC or AJ for clarification? I need a lawyer but it too complicated now I assume.
Discovery only occurs once you have an AJ assigned and that is typically discussed in the first meeting with the AJ. (how many interrogatories, how many depositions, etc).

If the AJ is looking at issuing a summary judgement sua sponte it means one side has little to no case. Not very common, especially if the complainant has an attorney. Your attorney should be pushing for the facts that can only be obtained via discovery.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Nurse4KU  
#38 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:21:44 PM(UTC)
Nurse4KU

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/23/2015(UTC)
Posts: 25
Woman
Location: texas

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Update on my case, after 5 years I have a hearing next week. The AJ approved nearly all 12 Witnesses. This all happened very quickly not giving me time to retain a lawyer. I had a pre-hearing conference last week. The witness list is a logistical nightmare for the agency to subpoena all witnesses and have them travel to the site of the hearing. So far the RC has not offered a settlement, I was told any amount over $5,000 now must be approved by they under secretary. I have travel orders and a flight set. The witness list was approved today and the agency will have to start attempting to subpoena each witness. The AJ originally stated she was going to do V-tel for most of the witnesses, but now she wants them all in person This will cost the agency over $20,000 to fly each witness 1500 miles. I do not believe our travel department can create travel profiles in time, but who knows.
Any thoughts on what is really happening.
I am not likely to settle but I was expecting and offer. There is one witness that was not approved by the AJ, she provided medical notes to exempt her, but her note is a lie I know she is does not want to be called to testify and stated its an emergency, but I know she is home taking care of a grand child. I am not sure if the AJ would reverse her decision, she stated the witness could still be asked to provide testimony at a later date.
I see this as a positive she did not ask for summary judgement yet on any of my claims, she still can I assume.
DroneBee  
#39 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 6:01:06 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 420

Thanks: 163 times
Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nurse4KU Go to Quoted Post
Update on my case, after 5 years I have a hearing next week. The AJ approved nearly all 12 Witnesses.


Good luck! Be prepared to address each claim - tab the hell out of the ROI/IF - with colored tabs for each witness or claim - you can decide the best strategy. Be prepared for each witness - know which claims that witness can address. Be clear and concise. Good Luck and God Bless!

Nurse4KU  
#40 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2018 8:54:41 AM(UTC)
Nurse4KU

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/23/2015(UTC)
Posts: 25
Woman
Location: texas

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I lost my hearing, and received no compensation, not even just to cover my legal fees, which I knew the minute it started I was going to lose, as I did not have representation and the VA did. At the point of the hearing I was already a heaping pile of stress, my current supervisor who was only a co-worker at the time I filed my initial EEO complaint continues to harass me constantly now even after my hearing March, 2018. I even had to file a new EOC to get back the 8 hours of SL I had to take to attend the pre-hearing conference set by the EOC. My manager denied my leave and stated she has no knowledge of anything. I provided case numbers and informed her to contact the EOC case manager, who also seemed to not know. I had to use my own SL and not AA to prepare for a pre-hearing conference and attend it the next day. I was of course not prepared.

I submitted FMLA paperwork, but for the 2 days prior to getting the paperwork submitted I was on SL with a doctors note, she placed me AWOL despite having a note. So now I have yet another fight. It never ends, yes they are stupid and do whatever they want, why not nothing happens to them, I even submitted a doctors note and she put me on AWOL.

I lost for many reasons but my initial complaint was thrown out and I knew it was weak, but I filed only after that supervisor continued harassment after I filed the initial EOC. The retaliation cases were essentially also thrown out because I was not able to prove my manager had prior knowledge of the prior EOC when she retaliated against me.

If I had a clearer head at the time, I would have insisted the investigator dig more into the date my manager was notified of the original EOC. She was able to state she did not know until 4 months later that she knew about the EOC. The director was notified on Nov. 1st, and based on the dates the interrogatories were served it looks like my manager was not aware until end of February. There is much more to this, and now the harassment continues, due to staffing shortages, I have a new manager who was promoted after that manager was fired. The new manager was the issue all along, she was behind the sceens doing what she could to ensure the original supervisor was removed and she was promoted, despite being poorly qualified. (I am not even a threat to her job, I live 1500 miles away and make more money). Now I am just labeled as trouble, because I am trying to protect my job and not get fired. I just try to do my work, but my managers make it impossible, nearly everyone is miserable and trying to find new jobs, making it worse for everyone else. The inequality for those that are not BFF's with the managers, or in a protected class is ramped. I want out of the job and I am currently on FMLA, but I know if I have to return the harassment will continue.

If I lost my EOC case, what is my next step? I do not want to get fired, but I am fearful they are trying their best, until I can find another job.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.008 seconds.