Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kotamichael  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:04:58 PM(UTC)
kotamichael

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi, I'm Dakota. I'm trying to gain employment with the military as a 17C in the Army. The economy took a hit when I was in college, and my grandfather had to start closing his business where my mother was employed. My father is disabled. My mother was handling my health insurance at the time, and I was briefly between insurance, exactly when I had appendicitis. I got charged with a about $17,000, but I was completely unaware of all this until I did a soft credit pull the other day to check on a few other items. I wanted to see how my credit looked before I applied for the clearance. In addition, I have a Wells Fargo account where I owe $800 and an old phone bill for $300. I've been delinquent, because I have been more focused on trying to pay back my student loans and trying to cover rent while I taught 2nd Grade.

If I can pay back the combined $1100 (phone and Wells Fargo) and be on a payment plan for the medical debt, does that completely mitigate the security risk? If so, what is the chance of obtaining TS vs Secret?
kotamichael  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:06:47 PM(UTC)
kotamichael

United States

To clarify, the medical debt is in collections.
DarkManX  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 4:06:08 PM(UTC)
DarkManX

United States

1. Get on a payment plan for your healthcare debt and document everything
2. Pay off the $300 charge ASAP
3. Work on paying off the $800...not sure if Wells Fargo would allow a payment plan but if they do, document it

As long as you show productive steps to mitigate your debt but most importantly your delinquencies...based on finances alone, I wouldn’t think you’d be denied.

Just my two cents.

Edited by user Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:51:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 7:14:14 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 812 time(s) in 673 post(s)
You are doing the right thing by trying to get a handle on your situation. I agree with @DarkManX and you should do whatever you can to work out a payment plan. The debt in collection may be a particular concern, even though it is medical debt. The collection agency will try to play hardball with you. They probably bought the debt from the hospital for less than the face value and are going to work hard to make as much money as they can. Maybe there's some good advice on the internet on how to approach them. But the fact that it went into collection is a bit of a problem. Not a show stopper but maybe a concern.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 08, 2018 7:40:22 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 434 time(s) in 364 post(s)
Evidently, some people are able to obtain clearances with histories of domestic abuse and orders of protection. An $800 overdue debt can probably be dealt with.
jc4life  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:36:40 AM(UTC)
jc4life

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You have to show "with evidence" that you've been diligently trying to handle your debts. I got my TS/SCI when I had close to $100k in student loan debt, and the way of one's handling the debt is way more critical than the amount of debt itself. For your specific situation, you definitely have to bring all your debt payments to current asap and come up with the plan to pay off your medical bill. Again, you have to show with evidence that you are working on it. The adjudicators won't believe your words without any evidence.

Go to the DOHA Industrial website (http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial) to see how the decisions were upheld/overturned. You'll be surprised just how many financial cases were dealt in each year.

thanks 1 user thanked jc4life for this useful post.
S D Analyst on 3/13/2018(UTC)
Dizzy_15  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:47:34 AM(UTC)
Dizzy_15

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I had a lot of debt issues when I applied for my secret clearance. they didn't even focus on all of my debt. I had items in collections, those were definitely a focus, however, as everyone has said, I paid them off or showed that I had been paying on them. I had everything documented. They want you to be working on it, you can't wait until the SOR comes and then all of a sudden start trying to get it together. Start now. Contact the places you owe money and work something out and document it. You obviously need to do this for your clearance if you want to make a career out of whatever you're trying to do. But you also need to do this for yourself and your future. Or just do it so you don't have to get the crappy interest rates on anything from cards to cars to houses. Get yourself on track to get out of debt. Believe me, I'm still working to better my debt situation, but I'm current on everything and that's important.
FedCivServ  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:30:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Agree w/ all the above advice... and to everyone who is applying for a fed job that requires a clearance: DO NOT EVER OMIT ANYTHING!!! Because the agency WILL find out if you have issues (DUIs, financial problems, drugs, etc) and lying/omitting them is likely what will cause you to not get the clearance, not the issue itself (depending upon what it was and when). It's the cover up that kills you...just ask Nixon and Clinton...:)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed