Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Randy1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:20:38 AM(UTC)
Randy1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 59 post(s)
With the recent package bombs in Austin happening got me thinking about security from the "last mile" packages from Amazon and other shippers benefit from. If Amazon packs the packages and then drops them off for delivery at the local USPS, who makes sure that no bomb, liquid, white powder, etc. was placed into that package?

Last mile discounts are available because USPS doesn't "sort" these packages or transport them, rather they are merely just dropped off locally and given to the carriers to deliver.

Think about it. On a Sunday a generic truck pulls up to the local Post Office, drops off a pallet full of "supposed" Amazon parcels for that Sunday delivery. The RCA's, CCA's grab them and head out for delivery. What or who is to stop someone from sending a pallet full of package bombs? Pretty scary....
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:11:48 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2709 time(s) in 2112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Randy1 Go to Quoted Post
With the recent package bombs in Austin happening got me thinking about security from the "last mile" packages from Amazon and other shippers benefit from. If Amazon packs the packages and then drops them off for delivery at the local USPS, who makes sure that no bomb, liquid, white powder, etc. was placed into that package?

Last mile discounts are available because USPS doesn't "sort" these packages or transport them, rather they are merely just dropped off locally and given to the carriers to deliver.

Think about it. On a Sunday a generic truck pulls up to the local Post Office, drops off a pallet full of "supposed" Amazon parcels for that Sunday delivery. The RCA's, CCA's grab them and head out for delivery. What or who is to stop someone from sending a pallet full of package bombs? Pretty scary....

yup really scary!
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
roger.d  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:38:51 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 586 time(s) in 443 post(s)
You need a bigger tinfoil hat.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:08:56 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2709 time(s) in 2112 post(s)
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
FatHappyCat  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:49:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I would imagine Amazon's security is all over that even more so than USPS. Amazon's business model is 100% dependent on its' shipping. Any threat, real or perceived, would have catastrophic effects on their business model and I have to imagine that they take it seriously.
CRAFTYCLERK7  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 6:10:45 PM(UTC)
CRAFTYCLERK7

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Like if it wasn't Amazon that dropped the packages off in the first place?
122intheshade  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:24:46 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 534 time(s) in 425 post(s)
What creeps me out is packages that talk to you, usually during the Christmas season. Especially the ones that keep saying "Redrum".

And while we're on the subject, do you think it's merely a coincidence that the ONE PLACE we have to go every shift is called "Red Room"????

Is the USPS really a sinister plot to mindwash hundreds of thousands of carriers into a seething cadre of finely trained (OK then, motley but still semi-dangerous) assassins, waiting only for the code word to rise up and strike at an unsuspecting populace??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcRNQIaJEQ

Edited by user Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:35:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
mnmailman on 3/15/2018(UTC)
bobbob1  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:35:40 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CRAFTYCLERK7 Go to Quoted Post
Like if it wasn't Amazon that dropped the packages off in the first place?

Personally, I'd know pretty quickly if it was some fake drop or something
Razanur  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:17:54 PM(UTC)
Razanur

Man
United States

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Randy1 Go to Quoted Post
If Amazon packs the packages and then drops them off for delivery at the local USPS, who makes sure that no bomb, liquid, white powder, etc. was placed into that package?

Because when a customer goes to the window there’s someone making sure that no bomb, liquid, white powder, etc. was placed into the package. Oh wait, no. There’s not. (The clerk asking you is about as effective as a hooker asking someone if they’re a cop)

Quote:

You’ve never actually worked in a delivery unit, have you? Because it’d be apparent within about 5 minutes that it wasn’t an actual Amazon pallet. For starters, the pallet probably wouldn’t have a USPS barcode on it. The shipping labels would all look wrong (Amazon’s labels are very distinct from other shippers). The packages wouldn't have Amazon’s distinctive packing tape. Oh and none of them would route when put under the PASS.

Package bombs and the like are a real threat (albeit a fairly small one), and every postal employee should know the signs of a suspicious package or letter and not be afraid to report anything even remotely strange. But this is just silly. All you’ve described is an extremely elaborate (and very inefficient) way to blow up a delivery unit. Not a way for someone to secretly distribute hundreds of bombs.
122intheshade  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:34:59 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 534 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Man, I've got a hankerin' to pull out my "Red Dawn" dvd. Or "Independence Day".

The originals, not the sucky remakes.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed