Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dodsan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:48:26 PM(UTC)
dodsan

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Currently DoD overseas, and my organization is trying to get those who want to extend their tours to sign extension forms way ahead of time. Of course we sign, but how binding is this agreement? I ask because due to family issues, at the end of my current tour I may back off extending this time around and head back to CONUS. Would I be breaching a contract?

Thanks
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:10:23 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 261 time(s) in 227 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dodsan Go to Quoted Post
Currently DoD overseas, and my organization is trying to get those who want to extend their tours to sign extension forms way ahead of time. Of course we sign, but how binding is this agreement? I ask because due to family issues, at the end of my current tour I may back off extending this time around and head back to CONUS. Would I be breaching a contract?

Thanks

If you have fulfilled your transportation agreement (original tour) and haven’t taken RAT leave, there is nothing your command can do to make you stay. They may insist on a curtailment request, but all you really need to do is request to exercise your return rights... or orders for another position.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
dodsan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:18:38 PM(UTC)
dodsan

United States

Yeah, that big "C" word is what I don't want on my records (curtailment). I'll meet my transportation agreement, just still 50/50 on returning back to CONUS or extending. At this point I don't have the family situation sorted out to know, but the overseas tour extension forms are going out about a few months too early.
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 4:11:51 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Having hired for overseas positions I can tell you it takes a looooooooooong time to fill a vacancy. We would ask about extensions 6 months out, and that wasn't far enough out to get a replacement on board before the employee left.

What "extension forms" did you sign? If it was just a letter of intent, it shouldn't be binding. If you have signed a new travel agreement and received a new overseas tour expiration date, then you would have to curtail. If you haven't signed the travel agreement, or it hasn't been processed yet, then you can get out of it.

Either way, I'm not sure a curtailment is as big a deal as you're thinking.
dodsan  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 5:12:36 AM(UTC)
dodsan

United States

It's the OTEX form, agreeing to extend and with it a new DEROS and being given a timeline for RAT. And I agree, it takes many months to fill a vacancy, so I can see the benefit for them to know which hiring actions to process asap.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed