Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 6:32:02 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 812 time(s) in 673 post(s)
After months and months of not seeing any permanent positions higher than GG-10 on the DIA jobs web site, in the past couple weeks a few have appeared. First a couple of CI positions, now a HUMINT position and a Mission Management job... not to mention a number of positions for faculty members. Granted, these look like rather specific requirements, so maybe that's what it takes for a hiring manager to convince HR that they can't get by with an entry level hire.

Is this a change? Seems like the only positions on there for a long time were either entry level hiring events or non-permanent positions. Are they realizing that they can't meet all their hiring needs with new grads, folks with no intel background, and others willing to apply for entry level positions?

We'll have to see if this trend continues... if it constitutes a trend at all.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
ringslider on 4/15/2018(UTC)
Chevy82  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:14:02 AM(UTC)
Chevy82

Was thanked: 654 time(s) in 504 post(s)
I was just told due to reduced demand it would be 6-18 months for an FJO. And they have 3 instructor positions at JCITA.

I don’t think there’s any *****ing planning.
thanks 2 users thanked Chevy82 for this useful post.
ringslider on 4/15/2018(UTC), rebels8 on 4/16/2018(UTC)
Klondike  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:05:46 PM(UTC)
Klondike

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Chevy82 Go to Quoted Post
I was just told due to reduced demand it would be 6-18 months for an FJO. And they have 3 instructor positions at JCITA.

Where'd you hear that from? And for what career fields?
Yukon3  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:18:59 PM(UTC)
Yukon3

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 57 post(s)
6-18 months for an FJO
I believe it. Someone close to me had to literally smack me in the *****ing face for being so comfortable moving nowhere. This wait will suck the life out of you.

For recent grads, if you are on the cleared list with a CJO in HUMINT or MM, move on. You don’t have to remove yourself from the pool, but that clearance eligibility is super valuable in the private sector. It took me way too long to realize that.

thanks 2 users thanked Yukon3 for this useful post.
ringslider  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:33:36 PM(UTC)
ringslider

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 61 post(s)

Now this doesn't make any sense. Why would an agency go thru the process of sending hiring invitations, giving CJOs, to later bring candidates in for polys, BI, give them TS and clear them to let them wait on a holding pattern for months?

I've seen the announcements in USAJOBS for grades 12 thru 14 in the last few days so probably there will be people within the agency applying for them allowing for managers to start calling and offering FJOs for those positions that are vacant within the 9 thru 11 grades. This could be seen as positive move on their part to alleviate the backlog of new hires that they have. Honestly, I just don't see how someone hasn't mention that they have so many people cleared in the hiring pool awaiting for a FJO.
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:49:30 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: ringslider Go to Quoted Post
Why would an agency go thru the process of sending hiring invitations, giving CJOs, to later bring candidates in for polys, BI, give them TS and clear them to let them wait on a holding pattern for months?

If you ask me (and I'll just pretend that you did), I think it is because of a massive disconnect between HR and the rest of the organization. HR says, you told us to find a bunch of candidates, so we did. But the hiring managers say, we can't find the people we need in this hiring pool.

It has been noted that by focusing not on previous intelligence experience but on potential for success, the agency can bring in a much broader range of backgrounds and experience. But the hiring managers who are on the hook to get the job done may be saying, we need that experience, and to get that experience, we need to offer higher grades.

thanks 2 users thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
ringslider  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:57:39 PM(UTC)
ringslider

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ringslider Go to Quoted Post
Why would an agency go thru the process of sending hiring invitations, giving CJOs, to later bring candidates in for polys, BI, give them TS and clear them to let them wait on a holding pattern for months?

If you ask me (and I'll just pretend that you did), I think it is because of a massive disconnect between HR and the rest of the organization. HR says, you told us to find a bunch of candidates, so we did. But the hiring managers say, we can't find the people we need in this hiring pool.

It has been noted that by focusing not on previous intelligence experience but on potential for success, the agency can bring in a much broader range of backgrounds and experience. But the hiring managers who are on the hook to get the job done may be saying, we need that experience, and to get that experience, we need to offer higher grades.

I don't think that you are wrong on this. It's not the first time that this happens to this agency or any particular job. If the agency is asking HR to send out a memo to hire new personnel without any guidance, then HR will do what it normally does: send out the memo to hire new candidates with basic qualifications. That's it. It's not their fault (HR), that DIA got a huge number of people applying and showing up to those events.

The Hiring Managers are going to have a hard time trying to get their mission done unless they start properly planning what they need instead of what they think they want.
someoldguy  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 3:53:23 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: TMHTE Go to Quoted Post
They basically wanted to hire somebody who was already familiar with the agency's writing style/formats, and track record of production.

Shocking!

It seems hiring managers want it both ways; fresh(ish) blood with directly relevant experience, which isn't easy to find.

In industry we used to joke about the ideal candidate being a new grad with 5-7 years experience. Oh and a current/active SCI clearance. Yet willing to work for new grad pay.
thanks 2 users thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
rebels8 on 4/16/2018(UTC), ringslider on 4/27/2018(UTC)
ringslider  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 6:02:39 AM(UTC)
ringslider

United States

Got the same answer again (no surprise there), smdh.
rebels8  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 11:54:26 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yukon3 Go to Quoted Post

For recent grads, if you are on the cleared list with a CJO in HUMINT or MM, move on. You don’t have to remove yourself from the pool, but that clearance eligibility is super valuable in the private sector. It took me way too long to realize that.

This is why you see a lot of people who worked at DIA as contractors before going gov.

Well for people who are languishing on the cleared list, this seems to be the best way to get their foot in the door at DIA.

It seems hiring managers want it both ways; fresh(ish) blood with directly relevant experience, which isn't easy to find.

But as many people as DIA seems to want to hire, can't they have a mix of both? Some fresh blood and some people with directly relevant experience?
#MMlivesmatter
thanks 1 user thanked rebels8 for this useful post.
ringslider on 4/27/2018(UTC)
someoldguy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:02:47 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: rebels8 Go to Quoted Post
But as many people as DIA seems to want to hire, can't they have a mix of both? Some fresh blood and some people with directly relevant experience?

That would seem to be the answer, and with some positions opening up at more senior grades, maybe that's what they're going to do. Have to see if this trend continues.

someoldguy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:19:47 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: auspex Go to Quoted Post
As far as trends, people with past federal experience know about seasonal cycles related to postings internal and external. There's a rhythm. Fluxing in new hires at low grades lets them move higher grades out of those overpaid low billets and really assess needs. That's all.

Maybe, but as someone who spent much of the past three years scouring the DIA jobs board, there have been very very few permanent postings for ANYTHING.

And what about when they take a job that was formerly a 14 level job, wave their magic wand, and say, this position is now a 12? Or take a 12 down to a 9? Almost sounds like cooking the books.

Oh and one more thing: no, you're not going to take someone with little or no experience and expect a hiring manager to pick them up for a billet at the 12 level (or higher). That's why we see all these folks with CJO's in Mission Management stuck in hiring pool limbo: so many of those jobs are coded 12 or higher.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:57:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rebels8 on 4/17/2018(UTC)
auspex  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:03:53 PM(UTC)
auspex

United States

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Originally Posted by: auspex Go to Quoted Post
As far as trends, people with past federal experience know about seasonal cycles related to postings internal and external. There's a rhythm. Fluxing in new hires at low grades lets them move higher grades out of those overpaid low billets and really assess needs. That's all.

Maybe, but as someone who spent much of the past three years scouring the DIA jobs board, there have been very very few permanent postings for ANYTHING.

And what about when they take a job that was formerly a 14 level job, wave their magic wand, and say, this position is now a 12? Or take a 12 down to a 9? Almost sounds like cooking the books.

Oh and one more thing: no, you're not going to take someone with little or no experience and expect a hiring manager to pick them up for a billet at the 12 level (or higher). That's why we see all these folks with CJO's in Mission Management stuck in hiring pool limbo: so many of those jobs are coded 12 or higher.

Yep.
someoldguy  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:35:42 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Are we talking about bringing in people as straight 12s or putting them in 12 billets? I'm in a 12 billet, just have to wait another year to be promotable to 12 lol.

I'm talking about bringing new hires from the outside in as something higher than a 10.

Good news about your billet. I'm only in an 11 slot. Maybe a year from now I'll be worrying about finding a 12...

madman21  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:05:29 PM(UTC)
madman21

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Are we talking about bringing in people as straight 12s or putting them in 12 billets? I'm in a 12 billet, just have to wait another year to be promotable to 12 lol.

I'm talking about bringing new hires from the outside in as something higher than a 10.

Good news about your billet. I'm only in an 11 slot. Maybe a year from now I'll be worrying about finding a 12...

Screw the both of you.....bragging about billets, and being all employed and sh*t.....lol
thanks 1 user thanked madman21 for this useful post.
someoldguy  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 1:03:09 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Saw something on the other end of the spectrum: a job on the internal jobs website that was only a 9!
auspex  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 1:13:14 PM(UTC)
auspex

United States

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Saw something on the other end of the spectrum: a job on the internal jobs website that was only a 9!

What?! Which directorate?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed