Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Labor

The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.

In carrying out this mission, the Department administers a variety of Federal labor laws including those that guarantee workers' rights to safe and healthful working conditions; a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay; freedom from employment discrimination; unemployment insurance; and other income support. (DOL's mission statement)

Perhaps you are working for the DOL or interested in working for the DOL. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOL.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1almostthere  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:33:37 PM(UTC)
1almostthere

Groups: Registered
United States

I am being terminated with 11 months to go until I retire at 56 with 31 years in. I have enough in savings to hold me for the next 12 months.
Will I still be able to retire in 11 months if terminated?
chipperjones  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:25:58 AM(UTC)
chipperjones

why are you getting fired?
FedCivServ  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 9:27:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Short answer is yes you will. But your question begs some on the return... and if you were fired without cause, aren't you going to fight it?
1almostthere  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 9:37:33 AM(UTC)
1almostthere

United States

It is a letter threatening to terminate me, they haven't yet. They want me to see their doctor. I have shoulder surgery under workers comp a couple of months ago. More that anything I am wanting to put my mind at ease. Worst case would be being terminated. I am trying to figure out if I would still get my pension in 11 months if terminated.
TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:37:02 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1almostthere Go to Quoted Post
It is a letter threatening to terminate me, they haven't yet. They want me to see their doctor. I have shoulder surgery under workers comp a couple of months ago. More that anything I am wanting to put my mind at ease. Worst case would be being terminated. I am trying to figure out if I would still get my pension in 11 months if terminated.

I think you would still qualify for a deferred retirement that could begin at your Minimum Retirement Age, as noted in your other thread on this topic, but you need to check the rules very carefully regarding carrying FEHB and life insurance into retirement. I do not think you can carry either into retirement under the deferred retirement rules. You would also not be eligible for the FERS retiree annuity supplement. Again, I would try my best to make it through the 11 months and retire on an immediate annuity to ensure you receive full benefits.

Health Benefits and Life Insurance Coverage

If you receive a deferred annuity, you are not eligible to continue any health benefits or life insurance coverage you had while employed.

Retiree Annuity Supplement

Former employees who receive a deferred annuity are not eligible for the retiree annuity supplement.

https://www.opm.gov/reti...#url=Deferred-Retirement
FedCivServ  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 8:37:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Well not knowing the whole story, given just what you have said here, it would probably take a long time to fire you. Is there some reason you don't want to see their doctor? If you are covered by a bargaining unit, you could file a grievance if they try to fire you and keep it tied up til are age eligible. As management it goes against my grain to tell you that, but I've seen it a gazillion times and it IS effective... at least it's a delaying tactic.
edalder  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2018 2:01:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Time while on OWCP generally qualifies as "creditable" service for retirement purposes.

I also agree with FedCivServ. You can certainly "drag out" this process long enough that you likely will reach your Minimum Retirement Age (MRA) before the agency can fire you.

Finally, if the agency does fire you because of disability, you probably have a "slam dunk" case for OPM disability retirement benefits, although such benefits generally cannot be paid concurrently with OWCP ones. Make certain that you apply for any OPM benefits within one year of your separation, if applicable, even though OWCP generally pays better. OWCP can go south on you at any time. Having any OPM retirement benefit in your back pocket is always a useful thing, especially since it will usually preserve entitlement of FEHB, FEGLI, etc.
Kivi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed