Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boxxer13  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 10:44:28 AM(UTC)
boxxer13

Groups: Registered
United States

I got my EOD and anxiety kicks in. I'm three states away and for my EOD, I got the option of starting either two weeks or four weeks but I need to find a place to live plus my lease here isn't up until August, couple of months away. I'm in a college town and trying to sublet when everyone is gone for the summer is nigh impossible. I assume the EOD can be pushed back but pushing it back to the end of July would be too much?

On a side note, Immigration Analyst vs Immigration Services Analyst. Same job, different title? If so, then I'm guessing they're basically clerical-file clerk-receptionist-fulfill customer requests-hunt down information on databases or in the file room-business casual no tie but no denim-type of job. Is that pretty accurate?

I was told GS9 was entry-level so given that pay grade and cost of rent in Arlington, so can anyone recommend affordable quiet housing (please no high rises) or a realtor who can find me something?
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 12:43:25 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
Originally Posted by: boxxer13 Go to Quoted Post
I got my EOD and anxiety kicks in. I'm three states away and for my EOD, I got the option of starting either two weeks or four weeks but I need to find a place to live plus my lease here isn't up until August, couple of months away. I'm in a college town and trying to sublet when everyone is gone for the summer is nigh impossible. I assume the EOD can be pushed back but pushing it back to the end of July would be too much?

On a side note, Immigration Analyst vs Immigration Services Analyst. Same job, different title? If so, then I'm guessing they're basically clerical-file clerk-receptionist-fulfill customer requests-hunt down information on databases or in the file room-business casual no tie but no denim-type of job. Is that pretty accurate?

I was told GS9 was entry-level so given that pay grade and cost of rent in Arlington, so can anyone recommend affordable quiet housing (please no high rises) or a realtor who can find me something?

You can always ask about delaying the EOD but be prepared for rejection.

There are people who disagree with me, but GS9 is tough in this area. You can expect to take home about $1,300 per pay period. You'll be doing well to find a place to rent for $1,300 per month. I don't know what your debts are like so only you can tell if the remainder is sufficient.

If you're considering splashing out the money for a real estate agent to help you find a place, consider planning a 3-5 day exploratory trip to the area to check out neighborhoods and prices. Personally, I need to walk a neighborhood to get a feel for it.

If you are bringing a car, know that it will be a huge liability. You may not be able to count on having parking where you rent and you need to ask your employer if free parking is available at work. Make no assumptions.

Best of luck!
boxxer13  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 1:55:27 PM(UTC)
boxxer13

United States

Thanks, looking for a place outside of Arlington. I need someplace that has parking. I'm willing to commute by car as long as the distance is reasonable. I doubt I'd find a decent place in Arlington for $1300. I don't know if getting a place in DC would be of any value. Hopefully, I can postpone the EOD by two weeks so I can go over and find a place to live first. GS9 does look tough for that area, but it's a lot better than what I got now.
John_NE  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:11:31 PM(UTC)
John_NE

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Welcome to Arlington, great place to work. Business casual environment, telework, and OT available sometimes for non ISOs, if that's PSC. RAIO, not sure.

GS9 pay for this area is great. But everyone makes this confusion of searching for apartments in Arlington or DC area. Go a little South or North. My best bet is always Alexandria. The rent is reasonable and free electricity and water in some of the apartments. Certainly free parking.

But I don't think you can drive to work, as parking is very expensive and not paid by employer. Public Transportation is super great and subsidized.

You can request the HR Rep or the Mission Support person to delay your EOD date. Generally extraordinary circumstances if you can explain, one or two pay periods the max, good luck.
thanks 1 user thanked John_NE for this useful post.
boxxer13 on 5/12/2018(UTC)
boxxer13  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:16:42 PM(UTC)
boxxer13

United States

Thank you! However, what's PSC and RAIO? Since I'll be either an Immigration Analyst or Immigration Services Analyst, I assume I'll be in cubicle or at a desk for the entire workday, where telecommuting is not an option but that doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that I never been to the job site so it's unknown terrain and it's a change in careers.

Perhaps moving from midwest to the east coast, breaking my lease as well as an oral contract agreeing to work this summer qualifies as extraordinary circumstances. I don't break promises. If I can push the EOD back one pay period, that will give me some breathing room to find someone to take over my projects here and to find a place to live. Already making plans to fly out next week to check out some rentals. At the moment, I'm considering rentals in Alexandria and around Annandale. I doubt the employer offers any parking, but there's parking garages and public transportation despite it increases the commute time.

Edited by user Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:17:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:07:26 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
You shouldn't have any problem finding a place in Alexandria for under $1,500/mo. Public transportation is king around here. A space in a parking garage will cost you $15-$25 per day and that will eat up your GS-9 pay pretty quickly.

As was said upthread, you will be eligible for transit benefits which should cover 100% of your Metro/bus fare. You will not be reimbursed for parking. Bicycle during the nicer weather and carpooling are also popular options. There are small financial incentives for bicycling into work.

I'm not familiar with where exactly you'll be working but if it's a reasonable walking distance to a Metro station I'd say look into an apt near a station. While you are here on your exploratory trip try the "commute" in and out of work to neighborhoods that you are considering.

Good luck!
bleedgreen18  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 7:07:14 AM(UTC)
bleedgreen18

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The only difference between the titles of Immigration Services Analyst and Immigration Analyst is that an ISA works for either a Field Office or a Service Center and an IA works for RAIO or FDNS. I'm not really sure why the difference in titles, but that's the way it goes. For the most part, the work is basically the same.

The same distinction would go for an Immigration Services Officer vs. an Immigration Officer.
boxxer13  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 9:02:34 AM(UTC)
boxxer13

United States

I'll be exploring Arlington, looking for place this week; I'm actually flying out tomorrow. I found some good places but the commute is 40 minutes to an hour on the Metro. I'm not too sure if that's an excessive or typical commute for the Arlington area. I'm used to commuting 15 to 20 minutes where there's ample free parking. So Arlington, the place I'll work at, and the Metro are entirely new cultures for me. Would anyone consider a place outside of the Rte 495 perimeter to be too far a commute by Metro? Is Fairfax or Vienna too far?

Any particular neighborhoods or locales to avoid? My EOD is coming up quick so I want to make sure the first place I get is a good one. I want to avoid areas where the twenty or thirtysomethings are partying all night; I'm older academic looking for peace and tranquility.

Lyricess  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 7:20:32 PM(UTC)
Lyricess

United States

Any update on the position? I am currently waiting for EOD for IA in FDNS in Atlanta. Any advice on job duties, career growth, etc. There is like no info online anywhere about this unpopular position.
GSBS  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 11:02:10 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 379 time(s) in 329 post(s)
And that was the first & last time we ever heard from boxxer13?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed