Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Display Name  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 3:53:44 PM(UTC)
Display Name

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello FS'ers -

Without getting into the weeds -

I am hoping someone will have experience with, or know pf references for, combating a Personnel Improvement Plan (PIP). I remember having seen a couple mentions of a process for getting a 3rd party review of the action. As I remember it, if requested by the employee a managerial response is required. I am a civil service, regular FTE.

Do you have any experience with that process?
Could you point me in the right direction for references on the subject?

I have this info somewhere, but I have been through hundreds upon hundreds of documents and haven't rediscovered this info yet.
birdonamission  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 4:30:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Display Name Go to Quoted Post
Hello FS'ers -

Without getting into the weeds -

I am hoping someone will have experience with, or know pf references for, combating a Personnel Improvement Plan (PIP). I remember having seen a couple mentions of a process for getting a 3rd party review of the action. As I remember it, if requested by the employee a managerial response is required. I am a civil service, regular FTE.

Do you have any experience with that process?
Could you point me in the right direction for references on the subject?

I have this info somewhere, but I have been through hundreds upon hundreds of documents and haven't rediscovered this info yet.

Are you challenging BEING GIVEN a PIP or anticipating an unfavorable DECISION at the end of the PIP period?

You can't grieve being given one because it's considered a preliminary attempt to correct performance deficiencies, the main goals of which are to (1) give the employee notice his or her performance is below standard [with clear and concrete reasons so there are no misunderstandings] and (2) afford the employee an opportunity to improve [with a definitive plan to address and correct the deficiencies].

Then it's up to the employee to meet the parameters of the plan within a reasonable timeline and include evidence he or she is now able to perform to standard according to the supervisor's assessments.

As long as you are treated fairly and equally as the supervisor would any other employee under the same circumstances and expectations of performance, you will want to follow the instructions of the PIP timely and proof of progress to a "t."

I'm not addressing if you're talking about appealing a formal decision after the PIP. Lawyers (and $$$), anyone?

FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:15:35 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 74 post(s)
The Personnel Improvement Plan (PIP) is an effort on the part of HR to obligate management to document employee performance (or lack of) in light of perceived performance issues with the employee. With a brighter than overage management or HR the PIP is a excellent tool to align low performance and a pool of employees. HR has a vested interest in the outcome of the PIP. HR does in fact support management and not the front line employee but HR is tasked with the performance of both management and the front line employee. The effort associated with "combating" a PIP is of no value unless the career goal is to continue for years combating both management and HR. Ideally survive the PIP and explore opportunities elsewhere. No manager is interested in hiring an employee with a combative approach to every effort to address performance.
old fed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:02:51 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 48 post(s)
is a PIP considered discipline??
nembamike  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 1:18:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post

No. It is management tool to identify and offer a path forward for an employee that is "under performing". The one caveat I'm aware of is when an employee is still under probation they can be removed without being offered a PIP assuming they are not performing.
old fed  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 5:48:40 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post

No. It is management tool to identify and offer a path forward for an employee that is "under performing". The one caveat I'm aware of is when an employee is still under probation they can be removed without being offered a PIP assuming they are not performing.

yeah, i didn't think so. thanks. it seems the OP might need a change of perspective regarding the PIP.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 8:51:49 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 799 time(s) in 624 post(s)
A PIP is not a disciplinary action. Even getting removed for failing a PIP is not disciplinary. It is a performance based action. And the standard of proof for the agency is lower than a conduct (disciplinary) based action (only need substantial evidence for performance based actions vs preponderance of evidence for conduct based actions).

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-...e-improvement-period.pdf

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-...-management/faqs/?page=2

Focus on meeting the acceptable standard for the critical elements identified in the PIP. They are what can be used to remove someone when they fail the PIP. And even after you pass the PIP, remember you have to maintain that level of performance for the next 52 weeks or can be removed with no further PIP required.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 4/23/2018(UTC)
FedCivServ  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:30:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 126 post(s)
As mentioned here i'd really focus on finding out EXACTLY what the PIP requires you to fix, and fix it. Management and HR want you to succeed; they have spent a lot of $ in hiring and training you and nobody wins when someone has to be removed. Invest your energy in that, and not trying to fight it unless you have some sort of concrete proof that you are being mistreated in some fashion. And even if you feel you have been, start doing what the PIP requires anyway because you very likely will not prevail. A manager has to have some concrete data to put someone on a PIP, not on a whim.
FrankJr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:56:47 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
As mentioned here i'd really focus on finding out EXACTLY what the PIP requires you to fix, and fix it. Management and HR want you to succeed; they have spent a lot of $ in hiring and training you and nobody wins when someone has to be removed. Invest your energy in that, and not trying to fight it unless you have some sort of concrete proof that you are being mistreated in some fashion. And even if you feel you have been, start doing what the PIP requires anyway because you very likely will not prevail. A manager has to have some concrete data to put someone on a PIP, not on a whim.

The PIP obligates management to state in writing the scenario. The subjective opinion of management is not longer the focus of the effort of human resources and management. To complete the PIP without issue forced management to evaluate the current and future situations objectively. The opportunity does exist to use the PIP to the advantage of the employee. The PIP provides an opportunity to compile objective documentation of value.
FedCivServ  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:22:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 126 post(s)
i think we are in violent agreement... understand mgmt. has to put it in writing but sitting down to ask face to face "How can i get back to being a star performer?" getting it spelled out step by step so he or she can meet the expectation.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed