Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
inevitable_fj  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 10:36:43 AM(UTC)
inevitable_fj

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a tentative offer for GS 11 ( Step 10, submitted paperwork for step 10, Supervisor recommended step 10, waiting for approval). I had an interview with USDA for GS 11 and I thought that it went very well and hoping to hear back from them.

Les's assume that I will get the USDA offer as well, which one do you think is better option VA or USDA, which is better organization and which will have better growth, The Job series is 2210 ( Information Technology)

Both the positions are in Illinois.

Any help and insight will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Beam Reach  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 12:18:45 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Ok, but first... you're an IT guy, you know better than to duplicate post!

I know nothing about the VA, I can say that the USDA has had some changes recently that make it less than a warm and fuzzy place.

Teleworking is limited to one day per week, max. Restructuring and attrition being used to thin the herd. All in all, it's not an environment that I can recommend.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
inevitable_fj on 5/2/2018(UTC)
birdonamission  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:22:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Interesting question. I don't know if I dodged a bullet or not, but in March 2016 I received an offer from a VA agency and eventually was hired. On my first week in the office I received a phone call from USDA offering an interview for a position I applied for but sort of put out of my mind since I was already in my seat at the new VA job and loved the atmosphere, the vibe, and the new people I work with. So, I politely declined the interview, and now and again, wondered how I would've liked working there instead of when I am now if I had interviewed with them and got hired.

As I type this, I think I have my answer -- my job is very friendly with work-life balance and teleworking is most assuredly supported. It really is a good organization where I'm at and I feel grateful.

Don't let me sway you, though, because I can't guarantee what anybody else's specific experience could be, whether USDA or VA. And any one thing can change in what is a good place to work...and, all of a sudden, not so good. The take away, I guess, is wherever you end up at, stay positive, do your job, and hope for the best!! :)
socGrad  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 12:52:13 PM(UTC)
socGrad

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have personal experience at the USDA. I love my coworkers and my general environment. We're somewhat shielded from budget cuts at my agency.

I will say that the global atmosphere here has been dampened and morale is down with the new changes to the TW policy though. I'm sure the effects are experienced differentially across USDA agencies, with some being more affected than others by the realignment plans and budget cuts.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed