Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
birdonamission  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:49:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Does anyone do the Delaware to D.C. commute? Not from the Wilmington/northern Delaware area, but from the central part of the state, like Dover, Magnolia, etc.

If so, do you drive all the way in to D.C. (and why??)?

I noticed there are a couple of Maryland Commuter Bus routes (#240 and #250) from the Kent Narrows Park-and-Ride on the Eastern Shore that go directly into downtown Washington.

Taking the Maryland Commuter Bus would seem the best option so you can relax all the way on the 1-1/4 hour ride (according to the MTA schedule PDFs) from Kent Narrows to D.C., especially on the reverse trip after a full day at work.

The Dover-to-Kent Narrows trip (and vice versa) each morning and evening is about an hour (according to Google Maps), so together, it's about a 2-1/4 hours each way.

Here's the commuter bus cost (which should be covered by the Transit Benefit):

One Way – Full Fare $6.00
One Way – Senior/Disability Fare $5.00
Ten Trip – Full Fare $60.00
Ten Trip – Senior/Disability $50.00
Monthly Pass Full Fare $204.00
Monthly Pass – Senior/Disability $170.00

This is a "what-if" thing because more and more I'm liking the idea of being out of this congested & crazy area called Washington, D.C. (lol!) and moving early to where we might retire anyway. Besides, I telework 3 days a week and off every other Friday, so the commuter bus scenario above is very doable.

Anyone out there? Thanks...

Edited by user Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:58:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:39:40 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: birdonamission Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone do the Delaware to D.C. commute? Not from the Wilmington/northern Delaware area, but from the central part of the state, like Dover, Magnolia, etc.

If so, do you drive all the way in to D.C. (and why??)?

I noticed there are a couple of Maryland Commuter Bus routes (#240 and #250) from the Kent Narrows Park-and-Ride on the Eastern Shore that go directly into downtown Washington.

Taking the Maryland Commuter Bus would seem the best option so you can relax all the way on the 1-1/4 hour ride (according to the MTA schedule PDFs) from Kent Narrows to D.C., especially on the reverse trip after a full day at work.

The Dover-to-Kent Narrows trip (and vice versa) each morning and evening is about an hour (according to Google Maps), so together, it's about a 2-1/4 hours each way.

Here's the commuter bus cost (which should be covered by the Transit Benefit):

One Way – Full Fare $6.00
One Way – Senior/Disability Fare $5.00
Ten Trip – Full Fare $60.00
Ten Trip – Senior/Disability $50.00
Monthly Pass Full Fare $204.00
Monthly Pass – Senior/Disability $170.00

This is a "what-if" thing because more and more I'm liking the idea of being out of this congested & crazy area called Washington, D.C. (lol!) and moving early to where we might retire anyway. Besides, I telework 3 days a week and off every other Friday, so the commuter bus scenario above is very doable.

Anyone out there? Thanks...

I live in the city but work with a lot of people who use the commuter buses. I'd say that it's worth considering, depending on your pain tolerance.

If I was within one year of retiring, and teleworked three days per week, I'd be more inclined to do it.

I don't know if you can look up the historical on-time performance of the buses but that would be helpful. I know co-workers whose one hour bus ride may turn into a three hour ride. I'd just keep myself open to the idea that there may be up to 6 times a year that I just need to grab a hotel in the area rather than waste six hours commuting.

If you're ok with that, go for it.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
birdonamission on 6/7/2018(UTC)
birdonamission  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 4:17:52 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
I live in the city but work with a lot of people who use the commuter buses. I'd say that it's worth considering, depending on your pain tolerance.

If I was within one year of retiring, and teleworked three days per week, I'd be more inclined to do it.

I don't know if you can look up the historical on-time performance of the buses but that would be helpful. I know co-workers whose one hour bus ride may turn into a three hour ride. I'd just keep myself open to the idea that there may be up to 6 times a year that I just need to grab a hotel in the area rather than waste six hours commuting.

If you're ok with that, go for it.

Thank you! Great point about the advertised arrival times vs. what happens sometimes in the real world (especially in the wintertime).

And, right — be prepared to stay in a hotel, if ever needed.

King_Fed  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 09, 2018 6:45:29 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I've personally known and worked closely with four people who worked far away (other side of Baltimore, W. VA, Frederick, and other side of Annapolis... over the bridge). Some of my mental notes:

1. Yes, be prepared to grab a hotel or work out something with a co-worker where you can sleep in a spare room.

2. Be prepared to be late. If you have meetings within an hour of your official arrival, you should move the meeting or attempt to come in earlier.

3. Figure out what happens if your agency, supv, etc. decides to reduce telwork to 1 day a pay period. This happened to one person, out of the blue.

4. The family/friends strain can be understated. Your spouse will need to be on-board. So much travel can make you tired.

5. You can be very productive during your travel. With a hot spot, laptop, and phone... you can get things done. Or even taking records home, but working on them during your commute.

6. In general, the people I've known seemed very happy with their decision. I could never do it, but they thought it was worth it.

Edited by user Saturday, June 09, 2018 6:49:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked King_Fed for this useful post.
birdonamission on 6/9/2018(UTC)
birdonamission  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 09, 2018 6:46:54 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: King_Fed Go to Quoted Post
I've personally known and worked closely with four people who worked far away (other side of Baltimore, W. VA, Frederick, and other side of Annapolis... over the bridge). Some of my mental notes:

1. Yes, be prepared to grab a hotel or work out something with a co-worker where you can sleep in a spare room.

2. Be prepared to be late. If you have meetings within an hour of your official arrival, you should move the meeting or attempt to come in earlier.

3. Figure out what happens if your agency, supv, etc. decides to reduce telwork to 1 day a pay period. This happened to one person, out of the blue.

4. The family/friends strain can be understated. Your spouse will need to be on-board. So much travel can make you tired.

5. You can be very productive during your travel. With a hot spot, laptop, and phone... you can get things done. Or even taking records home, but working on them during your commute.

6. In general, the people I've known seemed very happy with their decision. I could never do it, but they thought it was worth it.

Excellent feedback right there. Thanks!

Fortunately, my agency is very telework-friendly, probably more so than most. It's ingrained as part of the culture and practice because of the nature of the work (some even work off-site most days and just have to come in to work twice during the pay period to the agency office in their region, or if approved, telework full time). So, #3 is low-risk, I will say. All of what you said, though, is really good advice / information.

Edited by user Saturday, June 09, 2018 6:52:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed