Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
glabsanto  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 5:03:42 PM(UTC)
glabsanto

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm PCSing to Japan as a new civilian hire for the Army. I have a few questions:

1. Do I have to arrive on Japan on my EOD date? Can arrive a couple days early? On my PCS Orders, my Reporting Date is the same as my EOD.

2. If I arrive a couple days early from my EOD. When will my TQSA start?

3. Is (are) regulation(s) that governs civilian personnel PCS? Especially related to EOD and/or TQSA.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions.
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 6:00:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 75 post(s)
1. Do I have to arrive on Japan on my EOD date? Can arrive a couple days early? On my PCS Orders, my Reporting Date is the same as my EOD.

You can if you can get it done on move.mil. Odd though, generally your EOD is the first day of the pay period which is a Sunday. Who are you reporting to on a Sunday when most HR and other civilian offices are closed?

2. If I arrive a couple days early from my EOD. When will my TQSA start?

Your TQSA starts when your orders say they start. Sometimes you're authorized 10 days of hotel stay PRIOR to entry on duty but generally that line is there for you to use domestically after your household goods are picked up but before you fly. Frankly, you don't want to arrive early anyway since you won't have access to anything on base since you're technically not an employee yet. If Japanese customs is diligent, they won't even give you the 2 year visa at the airport which is tied to your orders and cause all kind of problems down the road.

3. Is (are) regulation(s) that governs civilian personnel PCS? Especially related to EOD and/or TQSA.

https://www.dfas.mil/mil...avelpay/regulations.html

But it's basically whatever your orders say. If it's not there, you don't get it. EOD is whatever HR sets it as.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
glabsanto on 8/10/2018(UTC)
glabsanto  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 7:05:03 PM(UTC)
glabsanto

United States

FatHappyCat, thanks for your comments and DFAS reference.

My HHG and UBS are on their way, via Move.mil. According to an AF civilian personnel PCS guide I found on Internet, new hires report on a Monday; current civilian employees report on a Sunday. Additionally, the guide also mentioned EOD and reporting date of new hires are one and the same. Furthermore, the guide said new hires can travel prior on their EOD. As for the 10 day hotel stay, that is covered by FTA (Foreign Transfer Allowance), and TQSA will cover the hotel/expenses once I get to Japan. As for access to the base, I'm a retired Air Force member, so, I hope, no problem with access to the base. The reason I'm asking guidance and assistance from the forum members is because all info I know are from the Air Force, and not the Army. Plus, the guidance I found from the Air Force doesn't stipulate the main references, i.e. AF Instructions, Army Regs & Pamphlets, JTR regs, DSSR, etc...

Edited by user Thursday, August 09, 2018 7:10:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dodsan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:57:29 PM(UTC)
dodsan

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
When I went to Japan for the Army, I flew out on a Sunday (start of a new pay period, EOD), arrived in Japan (Narita) on Tuesday, then reported to work on Wednesday.

They can't fly you any earlier until you are officially "their" employee, so you fly out the first day of the pay-period when you are an Army civilian.

Your TQSA starts the first night you arrive in Japan.

If you didn't want to report immediately the next day after you take that long cross-country flight, you can request to take leave for a day or two and just work out your report date with your soon-to-be supervisor or HR person (leave-en-route).

Take it easy as soon as you arrive. Everybody here understands, you have to go through a lot of paperwork for in-processing once you get here. Most people who PCS are in-and-out of the office for the first 2 weeks (at least).
thanks 1 user thanked dodsan for this useful post.
glabsanto on 8/10/2018(UTC)
glabsanto  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 5:57:56 PM(UTC)
glabsanto

United States

Originally Posted by: dodsan Go to Quoted Post
When I went to Japan for the Army, I flew out on a Sunday (start of a new pay period, EOD), arrived in Japan (Narita) on Tuesday, then reported to work on Wednesday.

They can't fly you any earlier until you are officially "their" employee, so you fly out the first day of the pay-period when you are an Army civilian.

Your TQSA starts the first night you arrive in Japan.

If you didn't want to report immediately the next day after you take that long cross-country flight, you can request to take leave for a day or two and just work out your report date with your soon-to-be supervisor or HR person (leave-en-route).

Take it easy as soon as you arrive. Everybody here understands, you have to go through a lot of paperwork for in-processing once you get here. Most people who PCS are in-and-out of the office for the first 2 weeks (at least).

dodsan, thanks for the comments.

When you PCS'ed to Japan, were you a new civilian hire?
dodsan  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 1:57:17 AM(UTC)
dodsan

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
No I was not. I came from another DoD office, so just transferred.
djp  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:28:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 95 post(s)
cant speak for overseas...I have had DOd PCS coverage as a civilian.

transfer costs technically don't start till you change pay periods and switch who you belong to.

Like when I moved across country from Virginia to Washington the fist day I could start the move on was sunday. If I left early and was more than 75 miles away from my starting point the cost would be on me.

based on the formula they used of x miles per day driving they gave me X number of days to drive including Saturday and sunday. my report date ws the next day to HR. I was givem something like 9 days to travel there. day 10 I would report.

overseas may be different because of larger time zone changes and needing to adjust body clock.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed