Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User304  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:45:14 AM(UTC)
User304

Groups: Registered
United States

How have others been successful in getting active duty time as a reservist [not captured on a DD 214] credited for FERS military service deposit?

Background:
I have almost four years of 'active duty' service in my time as a reservist that I am struggling to get credited for FERS. A large portion of that time includes active duty training and deployments which were captured on a DD Form 214 (easy). The challenge is getting credit for multiple overseas training exercises, humanitarian missions, professional military education, and annual training. These periods of active duty (AT, ADOS, or ADT) were individually less than 90 days. As a result - a DD 214 was not generated at the end of the active duty orders.

I am confident these periods of active duty (less than 90 days) meet the requirements set by OPM for 'creditable military service'. I have confirmed that in OPM policy, the FERS handbook, and through research on this forum. I have LES copies to substantiate these periods of active duty service. I also have copies of orders for many of the more significant events (i.e. foreign travel). My 'active duty points' on DA Form 5016 are also correct and consistent with my total 'active duty' claim for FERS. I have never been National Guard so there is no question of Title 10/Title 32.

Challenge:
I can't seem to get through the roadblock that is DFAS. I submitted the Estimated Earnings During Military Service Request (Form RI 20-97) which carefully detailed every creditable period of active duty. Each period was supported by some combination of DD 214 (where applicable), LES copies (for everything), and active duty orders (when available).

However, DFAS will not complete the calculation because their website states:

"The following is a list of documents accepted for computing earnings.
1.DD Form 214 (most common)
2.Letter from the Military Academy
3.Academic Record of Classes for the time or years in question
4.Any official letter on letterhead stationery and signed by a representative from appropriate government agency/unit.
5.NA Form 13038, Certification of Military Service for the National Archives and Records Administration
6.AF Form 1613, Statement of Service
7.NA Form 13041, National Archive and Records Administration, Statement of Service (please provide rank and years of service)
8.NA Form 13072, National Archive and Records Administration, Summary of Military Service (please provide rank and years of service)
9.NA Form13165, National Archive and Records Administration (please provide dates of rank and years of service)."

That brings us back to the start. OPM says all of these periods of active duty are creditable. Military says my records are correct (DA Form 5016) for purposes of reserve retirement. Military also says a DD 214 is only generated for periods of active duty for 90 days or more of continuous service. DFAS says they can't complete the Form RI 20-97 because a DD Form 214 is required. Around and around we go...

Plea for assistance:
There must be other reservist out there that have faced this problem! How did you get it resolved? I'm almost frustrated enough to just proceed with the DD 214 time only - but it sucks to leave nearly two years of 'sporadic' active duty time (time away from the family) on the table because it isn't nicely captured on a DD 214.

Help?

roger.d  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 11:13:33 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 478 post(s)
First, congratulations on keeping all these records.

A couple avenues to try.

Many counties have Veteran Service Officers. Look for one near you.

https://nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/

Possibly the local VFW/American Legion can help.

Lastly, your local members of Congress.

Good luck.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2018 7:50:44 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 803 time(s) in 664 post(s)
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

I have to say that I tried this and they had no idea what I was talking about and told me to contact the Army. Same with the state level org.

I am having a similar problem regarding my retired pay in that DFAS won't accept the documentation I am providing them from the Army. What good are all these regulations if the agency can simply refuse to follow them?

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
ringslider on 6/23/2018(UTC)
roger.d  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2018 10:36:43 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 478 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

I have to say that I tried this and they had no idea what I was talking about and told me to contact the Army. Same with the state level org.

I am having a similar problem regarding my retired pay in that DFAS won't accept the documentation I am providing them from the Army. What good are all these regulations if the agency can simply refuse to follow them?

This is unfortunate that you are having this issue and ringslinger seems to have issues also.

My experience with one 15 years ago was a positive one. Though getting GI Bill benifits for an apprenticeship program is likely child's play compared to some things.

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
10years2retire  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:11:53 AM(UTC)
10years2retire

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I just sent the DD214 from when I was a twenty-something, and all the reserve orders I had for periods of AD or ADT less than 90 days along with a RI 20-97 to the address shown on this page https://www.dfas.mil/dfa...ees/customerservice.html for my military service, and within a few months I got back an estimation of earnings.

Just realized you said they rejected you evidence.. try again, cause if its anything like trying to get something done at OPM you have to try a few times via phone or mail before you reach a person who know how to process the transaction (such as a return of a FERS deposit if you did not get 5 years of working as a GS to qualify for a MRA+10 retirement)

Edited by user Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:29:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tanker1497  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 07, 2018 4:16:23 PM(UTC)

Check the ART forum on this site it may help with what you want.
I do know that there's a computer program that you can use to find your date's have them issues orders for your dates that were title 10 and then you can submit them as AD days to both bring your retirement date down to a lower date for ANG/RESEV retierment age. like 59 vs. 60 and so forth. It was why too much work for me to get the money a few years eariler!
thesha  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 12:45:59 PM(UTC)
thesha

Did you ever get DFAS to run the numbers how you wanted? I submitted my documents for estimated earnings recently and they did not count any ADT days. Wondering if I should just forget about them and send it to my agency for buyback.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed