Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
old fed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:04:26 PM(UTC)
old fed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: J913 Go to Quoted Post
I'm a 12 step 4. I am aware of the "2 step rule", and that if promoted to a 13 I would start at step 1 because it's still higher than a 12 step 4. In my situation, I have a permanent schedule of working Sundays and night shift, so with premium pay and shift differential my salary is just under a 13 step 2. Could I use this as justification to negotiate at least a step 2 if I were to get a promotion or be selected for a GS13 position?

if you are promoted you would first look at the 12/6 salary (the two step rule) then find the salary on the 13 scale that is the next closest but not lower than 12/6. is that still a 13/1?

but to answer your question, no, premium pay/shift differential cannot be used as a justification for a higher step.
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:34:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Based on my calculations 13/1 would be correct for a promotion from 12/4. Concur regarding the extra pay question.
birdonamission  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:29:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post
Based on my calculations 13/1 would be correct for a promotion from 12/4. Concur regarding the extra pay question.

Agree. Using the Washington DC - Baltimore pay table as an example:

1. GS-12 Step 4 pay is $89,703

2. GS-12 Step 6 pay is $95,139 ("2-step rule" - go up two steps from current grade and step)

3. GS-13 Step 1 pay is $96,970

Promotion to GS-13 will be at Step 1 because, after applying the "2-step rule," pay at Step 1 ($96,970) is the **closest without being lower** than the promotee's **current pay + two steps up** ($95,139) in the previous grade.
djp  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 5:03:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 95 post(s)
The step rule is on base pay...not licality pay. There wouldn’t be a difference if you used licality pay but it matters if you are changing locations.

If you are in a special pay series....you look at the vase and see where it is on the general gs pay series, if you were a 11 step 3 in special pay it could really be 11 step 6 in the standard gs pay.

Thus happened to me.

I was a gs 9 step 2 in special pay and moved to a non special pay in a promotion and it put me in gs 11 step 6 as a promotion.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed