Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

15 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cs79  
#121 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:49:16 PM(UTC)
cs79

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I spoke to a manager today and she said she was just looking at resumes to hire more people. It will go on until they feel they have enough people she said.

Originally Posted by: taco_tuesdays Go to Quoted Post

Maybe there will be movement before the end of the calendar year...

thanks 1 user thanked cs79 for this useful post.
taco_tuesdays on 10/11/2018(UTC)
meinhoonna  
#122 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2018 5:35:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cs79 Go to Quoted Post

I spoke to a manager today and she said she was just looking at resumes to hire more people. It will go on until they feel they have enough people she said.

Maybe there will be movement before the end of the calendar year...

Thanks for looking out for us. What I am wondering, at this point, is whether they are truly any plans to fill the number of vacancies mentioned in each of these job postings or was that something 'made up'
txfeller  
#123 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:44:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cs79 Go to Quoted Post

bull28 can't post and said via a PM:

bull28 wrote:
Hey I just received FIRM offer today, start date is Oct 1st down in Farmers Branch TX (Dallas)

we made it

feel free to post this info into the thread since I cannot post in threads yet

Just adding my experience.

Been applying to IRS and GSA for almost 8 years, had scores and scores of "Best Qualified" and "Highly Qualified" and even had several interviews by phone. (Note, I was not claiming my veteran status and do not have any disability, etc., that would bump my chances).

In mid-August 2018 I received an email from IRS HR asking me to fill out a lot of forms. It said "Your application has been received and accepted and you are now ready to take the next step in the hiring process for this announcement. Please visit UsaJobs.gov and follow the steps listed below to access your assigned tasks."

Filled out the forms now showing against my USAJobs application; some questions I had difficulty finding the right answer among the choices offered and had to ask my assigned HR rep for assistance. Got them all filled out to meet the 1-week deadline. Next I received an appt notice for fingerprinting and ID photo. Took care of that within 3 days of getting the notice.

Last week of August I got the Tentative Offer and instructions to complete the QIP background information. (They got really picky in my case, wanting to know people who knew me in K-12 school years. I moved from my home town immediately after HS graduation and never once had any interaction with the people I grew up with; no idea where they live or even if they are still alive. Had to pay internet people-finder services to locate a few).

First week of September, got "Action Required: Please accept firm offer letter for your new position" email

Second week, got "You are scheduled to attend a new hire orientation" email

From 1st notice in mid-August to EOD swearing in day, 1 month 3 days.

No idea if background check was done, I doubt it, it will probably happen in the next few months to year.

Oddly enough, and as part of my new-hire education giving links to various intranet sites, I discovered my name on a team roster dating back to mid-June. Apparently I was selected and assigned to a team in June. I only heard about it in August and completed hiring in September.

As to open positions and hiring activities, I hear from my management and all those around me in the office that there is a backlog of need for IT pros. I know nothing about available funding, however, not how big that backlog is.

Hope this boosts expectations for a few of you.
thanks 3 users thanked for this useful post.
taco_tuesdays on 10/22/2018(UTC), meinhoonna on 10/23/2018(UTC), NotYourAvgITguy on 10/28/2018(UTC)
John99GSX  
#124 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:29:25 AM(UTC)
John99GSX

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A few more positions with multiple spots were posted again last week as well. Make sure you are checking and applying.
thanks 1 user thanked John99GSX for this useful post.
meinhoonna on 10/23/2018(UTC)
meinhoonna  
#125 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:43:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John99GSX Go to Quoted Post
A few more positions with multiple spots were posted again last week as well. Make sure you are checking and applying.

Things seem to have stalled in IT world (basing it on activity here). I have applied for several postings that I am qualified for and no update on any besides one. For non-IT, there was a Revenue Officer or something like that posting recently with 725 jobs.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
taco_tuesdays on 10/24/2018(UTC)
cs79  
#126 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:05:56 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Someone told me today they are doing a bunch of direct hires.
thanks 3 users thanked cs79 for this useful post.
meinhoonna on 10/24/2018(UTC), taco_tuesdays on 10/24/2018(UTC), NotYourAvgITguy on 10/28/2018(UTC)
manunited  
#127 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 12:04:51 PM(UTC)
manunited

I am waiting for next step! I did my finger print on 19th October, Friday.

Hoping to hear from them by end of this week.
Also, I heard that there were 19 new hires in IRS, New Carrolton.
cs79  
#128 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 5:33:51 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Someone told me today that they expect to be hiring until Jan.
DC41  
#129 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:47:40 AM(UTC)

I was told that it can take 2-4 months for the background check to be complete and Yes some positions don't require a interview. I am not sure of the time from for starting the background check.
Selvin  
#130 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 2:36:11 PM(UTC)
Selvin

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It doesn’t start till you start working after you entered work investigator calls you after 3 months so nothing happens before you join.
thanks 2 users thanked Selvin for this useful post.
meinhoonna on 10/30/2018(UTC), tranhungdao on 10/31/2018(UTC)
manunited  
#131 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:36:24 AM(UTC)
manunited

Post for username tranhungdao who is unable to post:

i was also best qualified for 18CE2-DHX0160-2210-11T14.

had my fingerprint on 10/26/2018 and waiting anxiously for the background check and the firm offer / start date.

some questions below:

1) when does the public trust application begin?
2) did anyone else had a tentative offer without an interview? is this abnormal?

Looks like you and I are at the same pool. I did my finger print on the 19th and now i am waiting for FO.
Public trust application begin only after you start the job. Yes, I got a tentative offer without an interview. It is totally normal as IRS has direct hire authority which means they can make their own requirements and hire as many as possible in short amount of time.
I hope this helps!
tranhungdao  
#132 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:34:01 AM(UTC)
tranhungdao

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Prior to your Entry on Duty (EOD)/Place of Duty (POD), has anyone been contacted by their potential manager?
NotYourAvgITguy  
#133 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 1:03:35 PM(UTC)
NotYourAvgITguy

United States

Hey everyone! New to the site, but have been reading this thread for a while now. Recently received Best Qualified and curious has anyone else besides taco_tuesday and me waiting on a TO from the August announcement for the Atlanta or Chamblee location? If so, please PM me. Thanks in advance.
LongWheel  
#134 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 1:40:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Posting this for user NotYourAvgITguy

Hey I'm unable to post yet and was curious can you post this for me. I'm curious how many people are currently waiting on the direct hire position posted back in August - 18CE2-DHX0160-2210-11T14. My rating on the agency site shows Best Qualified-Pending Qualifications. The comments show:

You have been determined tentatively eligible for the above position based upon your responses to the on-line questions through the automated hiring system (CareerConnector). As a result, we will be referring your name to the Selecting Official. You may be contacted for an interview. If you are selected for this position, your qualifications will be verified prior to a firm offer being made and/or entering on duty. If you have any questions concerning the status of your application, please refer to the agency contact information in the announcement. To view the announcement, return to your USAJOBS account, click application status and click the announcement number for the vacancy contact info.

Also, I received the email below this past Friday. From what I researched it's just a waiting game from here right?

Dear ********************,

Determination: Application Received

Thank you for your interest in employment with the Internal Revenue Service.

The purpose of this notice is to inform you that your application for the above position was received. Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review.

Upon further review of your application and qualifications, you will be contacted regarding your eligibility. You will be receiving correspondence via e-mail or by telephone, informing you of the next step of the application process.

If you have any questions, please email hco.ets.ece.section.ii@irs.gov. When responding to this correspondence, please include your name and the vacancy announcement number 18CE2-DHX0160-2210-11T14, so we can promptly respond to your inquiry.

taco_tuesdays, Did you receive any updates on your application?
I received a similar email today but the announcement to which I applied is different. I am wondering what this email means....

Edited by user Friday, November 9, 2018 2:51:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

N2018  
#135 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 2:55:45 PM(UTC)
N2018

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just completed 2nd week at IRS.
I heard they are still looking to hire many people.

thanks 1 user thanked N2018 for this useful post.
NotYourAvgITguy on 11/13/2018(UTC)
LongWheel  
#136 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 4:45:31 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: N2018 Go to Quoted Post
Just completed 2nd week at IRS.

What series are you in?

Edited by user Friday, November 9, 2018 4:53:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cs79  
#137 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:56:58 AM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Last week I heard it should cont. into 2019.

Originally Posted by: N2018 Go to Quoted Post

Pisces  
#138 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 6:46:49 AM(UTC)
Pisces

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I heard IRS is hiring COBOL developers for legacy systems.
Right now an internal posting is floating around. I guess an external job posting should also be available now.
Lot of training is being focused for internal candidates as well.
Looks like the SMEs are being trained with java and other skills along with external hirings.
Heard more internal promotions happened than external hiring for 2018.
All the Best!!
BoardReader12345  
#139 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 5:51:22 PM(UTC)
BoardReader12345

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tranhungdao Go to Quoted Post
Prior to your Entry on Duty (EOD)/Place of Duty (POD), has anyone been contacted by their potential manager?

Yes. Once. It probably isn't normal practice, though, because I wasn't contacted by my upcoming manager for other jobs I got within the agency.
LongWheel  
#140 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 10:42:54 AM(UTC)

Any new TOs?....just figured I ask. Happy Holidays!

Nope.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed