Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buddy10  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 11:11:38 AM(UTC)
buddy10

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I am currently a seasonal CSR grade 8 step 1 on the 6am to 2:30pm shift. I have applied for a seasonal TE position which goes from grade 5 to grade 7 and the shift is 4:30pm to 1am. I am interested in the TE position because I don't want to be on phones anymore and the I think the hours would work better for me. If I take the position will I remain a grade 8 or drop down to a 7? If I remain an 8 would I still be paid at the night differential rate after 6pm?
PrimaDawna  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:20:20 PM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
It depends on how long you have been a Grade 8. If you have been an 8 for a year or more, then yes you can maintain your Grade 8 when you go to the TE position. You will be put at the equivalent Grade 7 step 1,2,3,etc that is close to the Grade 8 step 1.Yes, you will get night differential.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:21:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ironman0786  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 2:03:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You will not keep your Grade 8, you will only be paid to an equivalent of a Grade 8, it the form of a Grade 7 with a step most close to a Grade 8 step 1.

For example - under the Base gs schedule - Grade 8 step 1 is $39,707 - therefore you will be a Grade 7 step 4 $39,439 - or a Grade 7 step 5 $40,634 - I don't remember if they go above or below your salary. Moreover, this is only if you are hired as a Grade 7.

If you are hired as a Grade 5 you would be paid Grade 5 step 10 - $37,630.
Then be promoted to a Grade 6 Step 9 after a year and then a Grade 7 Step 8 after another year.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
spence on 11/9/2018(UTC)
spence  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 1:53:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
ironman0786 is right. You would be a GS-7 (or whatever grade you get selected at) but at the appropriate step as a GS-7 (or whatever lower grade) that is as high your current pay. They are not obligated to match your highest previous rate in this way, and could have you at a lower step, but usually do match your highest previous rate.

Since this would be a downgrade, your current department may not let you leave though, if you applied internally.

You would keep night diff after 6pm, yes.
buddy10  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 2:54:24 AM(UTC)
buddy10

United States

I have been offered and have accepted the position so I am leaving. Never worked nights before so that is my biggest concern...but on the brightside no more phones or having to get up at 4:30 am!
ironman0786  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 6:34:13 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
ironman0786 is right. You would be a GS-7 (or whatever grade you get selected at) but at the appropriate step as a GS-7 (or whatever lower grade) that is as high your current pay. They are not obligated to match your highest previous rate in this way, and could have you at a lower step, but usually do match your highest previous rate.

Since this would be a downgrade, your current department may not let you leave though, if you applied internally.

You would keep night diff after 6pm, yes.

Currently, they are not really stopping anyone from moving especially at a Service Center level. Also, the season might be different in which case they can't stop you. When I was a CSR, I was hired under a 4-6 month season, I was allowed to become a TE 6 months later internally at a job where the season was 6-9 months. The TE job ended up being an 11 month 1 week and 6 days season, they would furlough you for 2 weeks and 1 day in order to keep you a seasonal.
buddy10  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 7:17:12 PM(UTC)
buddy10

United States

I believe the seasonal agreement I will be under is 6-8 months. I will self furlough after the agreement expires even if there is no layoff.

Edited by user Friday, November 09, 2018 7:21:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ironman0786  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 3:03:06 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: buddy10 Go to Quoted Post
I believe the seasonal agreement I will be under is 6-8 months. I will self furlough after the agreement expires even if there is no layoff.

Did not know you could self-furlough. Never heard of such a thing. They usually extend the agreement before the previous one expires.
buddy10  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 4:27:08 PM(UTC)
buddy10

United States

I do it every year. Just don't sign the extension. Downside is no unemployment.
spence  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:50:12 AM(UTC)

Yeah, I know you're not going to be in Submission Processing, but voluntary self-furloughing is common if the season gets too long for TE's in Submission Processing too, where I worked till the recent past.
Massgone2015  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 4:13:20 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: buddy10 Go to Quoted Post
I have been offered and have accepted the position so I am leaving. Never worked nights before so that is my biggest concern...but on the brightside no more phones or having to get up at 4:30 am!

Welcome to the nightshift! ANSC, right? I left AM and went from days to nights a few years ago. It did take awhile to adjust but it is so much quieter there at night.
ironman0786  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:26:22 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I know you're not going to be in Submission Processing, but voluntary self-furloughing is common if the season gets too long for TE's in Submission Processing too, where I worked till the recent past.

As a seasonal TE in AUR or Exam, no one ever knew you could do this, and no one was ever given this option either. Union never advised either. I understand that fact that you would not be able to get Unemployment. I know someone in Innocent Spouse AM that would do this but because they are being trained on a lot more stuff they were extended and not allowed furlough.
spence  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 3:01:49 AM(UTC)

I don't think it's something management has to allow, but just often have in SP and AM as long as it's just a few people and they can still get enough work done. So I don't know what the union or management would tell you in AUR and Exam, but it might be worth asking. In SP, I saw it sometimes not allowed and people forced to stay on past an expected season length even if they didn't want unemployment, but only rarely. Those who had family overseas they had to visit or had medical reasons would be the ones who would be most likely to voluntarily self-furlough, without a release meeting and without unemployment, once the original expected season length was met. But there wasn't always a special reason. Also, separately, release meetings in SP gave occasion for volunteers to furlough who could get unemployment and allow others to stay -- in this case, it would typically be older people volunteering to go.

Edited by user Monday, November 12, 2018 3:24:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed