Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

36 Pages«<3233343536>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OnTheMove  
#661 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:29:03 AM(UTC)
OnTheMove

Groups: Registered

Anyone know anything about upcoming training dates, curious if they are going to have a class starting in November or if we’re waiting till next year. It’s been pretty quiet lately.
Erg2835  
#662 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 3:19:42 AM(UTC)
Erg2835

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
18-2 here. I contacted CBP Training and Scheduling a couple days ago asking about any upcoming academy dates, and the only response I got was the generic “your name is on the waiting to call list, please wait until your name is reached” response.

I’m not personally expecting another academy until the start of 2019, but I haven’t heard anything credible to support or disprove that
thanks 2 users thanked Erg2835 for this useful post.
OnTheMove on 10/26/2018(UTC), EGM-08 on 10/26/2018(UTC)
Cersei  
#663 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 8:50:59 AM(UTC)
Cersei

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Erg2835 Go to Quoted Post
18-2 here. I contacted CBP Training and Scheduling a couple days ago asking about any upcoming academy dates, and the only response I got was the generic “your name is on the waiting to call list, please wait until your name is reached” response.

I’m not personally expecting another academy until the start of 2019, but I haven’t heard anything credible to support or disprove that

Wasn’t there a guy on here a few months ago that said something about there being one more academy before the year ends? I am hoping we will all get a call for either late November or sometime in December.

thanks 1 user thanked Cersei for this useful post.
chicagojay on 10/26/2018(UTC)
Erg2835  
#664 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 12:43:57 PM(UTC)
Erg2835

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cersei Go to Quoted Post

Wasn’t there a guy on here a few months ago that said something about there being one more academy before the year ends? I am hoping we will all get a call for either late November or sometime in December.

I think he was talking about the academy that started on October 5th, but not 100% sure
Cersei  
#665 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 1:21:31 PM(UTC)
Cersei

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cersei Go to Quoted Post

I think he was talking about the academy that started on October 5th, but not 100% sure

Correct, but he said there were two left and I am counting the October class already.
BethanyB  
#666 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 5:54:31 AM(UTC)
BethanyB

United States

Long time lurker here. I'm also an 18-2 candidate that's been waiting since July. I previously went through this process a couple years ago and didn't need to take a polygraph. When I look at my application tracker for this round, I'm also at 71% but it says that my polygraph test is "pending". Is anyone else getting this? Did anyone take a polygraph test already?
chicagojay  
#667 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 5:20:22 PM(UTC)
chicagojay

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BethanyB Go to Quoted Post
Long time lurker here. I'm also an 18-2 candidate that's been waiting since July. I previously went through this process a couple years ago and didn't need to take a polygraph. When I look at my application tracker for this round, I'm also at 71% but it says that my polygraph test is "pending". Is anyone else getting this? Did anyone take a polygraph test already?

From my understanding , CBPAGS is not required to take polygraph, since they are not LEOS, however I hear it is becoming common practice, and up to the discretion of the agency.
thanks 1 user thanked chicagojay for this useful post.
BethanyB on 11/5/2018(UTC)
OnTheMove  
#668 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 7:19:19 AM(UTC)
OnTheMove

Anyone who has gone through training or is currently in training have any info about what things are like in Frederick, MD for training, lodging, food, etc. lots of info available about GA but MD nothing. Thanks
Leaver  
#669 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:37:09 PM(UTC)
Leaver

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OnTheMove Go to Quoted Post
Anyone who has gone through training or is currently in training have any info about what things are like in Frederick, MD for training, lodging, food, etc. lots of info available about GA but MD nothing. Thanks

The living is easy in MD. The hotel is very nice and you'll have to take a van ride to the PDC each day (about 15 minutes each way). Except for breakfast at the hotel, food is not provided like it is in GA, but there are restaurants and basic shopping in walking distance to the hotel, and/or you can arrange to take the govt. vans to pick up supplies, (refrigerators in the hotel rooms). Very good instructors at the PDC (which will consist of pest ID and regulatory decision making). Brush up on your taxonomic entomology before you go. The atmosphere is "relaxed" while in MD, but that all changes in the pseudo military environs of FLETC, so just be prepared for that change. Get in the practice of being on time, being disciplined and looking sharp in uniform. This kind of stuff is important at FLETC, so get used to it while in MD.
thanks 3 users thanked Leaver for this useful post.
chicagojay on 11/4/2018(UTC), OnTheMove on 11/5/2018(UTC), BethanyB on 11/5/2018(UTC)
chicagojay  
#670 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 9:14:08 PM(UTC)
chicagojay

United States

Originally Posted by: Leaver Go to Quoted Post

The living is easy in MD. The hotel is very nice and you'll have to take a van ride to the PDC each day (about 15 minutes each way). Except for breakfast at the hotel, food is not provided like it is in GA, but there are restaurants and basic shopping in walking distance to the hotel, and/or you can arrange to take the govt. vans to pick up supplies, (refrigerators in the hotel rooms). Very good instructors at the PDC (which will consist of pest ID and regulatory decision making). Brush up on your taxonomic entomology before you go. The atmosphere is "relaxed" while in MD, but that all changes in the pseudo military environs of FLETC, so just be prepared for that change. Get in the practice of being on time, being disciplined and looking sharp in uniform. This kind of stuff is important at FLETC, so get used to it while in MD.

How many weeks/month is the class? What type of preparation should newcomer be expecting and is it difficult ? How to prepare for taxonomic entomology since it isn't my major? What's the pass/fail rate in one class?

Edited by user Sunday, November 04, 2018 9:15:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Leaver  
#671 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 11:47:08 AM(UTC)
Leaver

Originally Posted by: chicagojay Go to Quoted Post

How many weeks/month is the class? What type of preparation should newcomer be expecting and is it difficult ? How to prepare for taxonomic entomology since it isn't my major? What's the pass/fail rate in one class?

The curriculum is such that a non-entomology major can still get through it. The key is knowing how to use keys. But that said, it will still be worthwhile to familiarize yourself with the vocabulary of basic entomology and plant pathology... at least to the class, order and family levels. It will help to get familiar with insect, arachnid and snail morphology. You will need to attain at least an 80% on all PDC tests to pass. The time had been 7 weeks in MD and another 7 weeks in GA, but they are trying to shorten the time in MD and I expect soon, if not already, the regulatory decision making component will move from the PDC to FLETC. so the time you're in MD might be less than 7 weeks now. Hope that helps.
thanks 1 user thanked Leaver for this useful post.
chicagojay on 11/5/2018(UTC)
chicagojay  
#672 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 12:36:19 PM(UTC)
chicagojay

United States

The curriculum is such that a non-entomology major can still get through it. The key is knowing how to use keys. But that said, it will still be worthwhile to familiarize yourself with the vocabulary of basic entomology and plant pathology... at least to the class, order and family levels. It will help to get familiar with insect, arachnid and snail morphology. You will need to attain at least an 80% on all PDC tests to pass. The time had been 7 weeks in MD and another 7 weeks in GA, but they are trying to shorten the time in MD and I expect soon, if not already, the regulatory decision making component will move from the PDC to FLETC. so the time you're in MD might be less than 7 weeks now. Hope that helps.

Do you feel of the training was sufficiently paced or feel a bit rush? How much studying should a person be expecting/allocating (I been out of school for many years)?
Leaver  
#673 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 6:59:49 PM(UTC)
Leaver

Do you feel of the training was sufficiently paced or feel a bit rush? How much studying should a person be expecting/allocating (I been out of school for many years)?

These types of answers will all depend... everyone's experience will vary depending on their background, study habits and simply how bright they are. Some can get though all of this training without spending any time studying outside of class, while some have to really make an effort every night to hang in there with the rest of them. Many in my class had prior agriculture and entomology backgrounds (school as well as job experience), while some like me didn't have any prior experience specific to agriculture. I'm an old guy, and no doubt my brain cells aren't nearly as absorbent as the many younger and very bright kids that were in my class, so in general, I had to work a bit harder. Some of the brightest in my class were bored and it was a cake walk for them. So really the answer to your question is all over the map.

For me personally, (and others as well), I thought things were more than a bit rushed in MD. Just from a purely objective standpoint, there is ALOT of material that is covered in a very short period of time. I especially thought the time at the PDC in MD was way too rushed. In recent years, the agency has placed much more emphasis on the FLETC, law enforcement experience at the expense the USDA science curriculum. This is a sore point of contention for many, (myself included). But regardless on where you fall on that debate, there is no doubt that the time spent on biology has been shortened, and therefore rushed. And that is why I recommend that you take the chance to familiarize yourself with some basic entomology, and plant pathology so that the pace doesn't catch you off guard. Of course the instructors want to you succeed and will do all they can to help you. They will give you time to practice (both in class and outside of class). So I wouldn't worry about it too much. But do be prepared for a brisk pace while in MD.
thanks 3 users thanked Leaver for this useful post.
chicagojay on 11/5/2018(UTC), OnTheMove on 11/6/2018(UTC), BethanyB on 11/6/2018(UTC)
chicagojay  
#674 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 2:44:29 PM(UTC)
chicagojay

United States

The curriculum is taught in two places FLETC GA and MD? So trainee will spent couple weeks at MD then fly to GA for additional training? what % of the class graduated and complete the whole training? Thanks

Edited by user Tuesday, November 06, 2018 2:45:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Leaver  
#675 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 6:23:18 PM(UTC)
Leaver

The curriculum is taught in two places FLETC GA and MD? So trainee will spent couple weeks at MD then fly to GA for additional training? what % of the class graduated and complete the whole training? Thanks

Yes, it is taught in two places. It used to be that the entire training was in MD at the USDA Professional Development Center (PDC), but about 2 years ago, the powers that be decided that the aggies weren't getting "proper" exposure to the law enforcement side while at the PDC, and moved half of the training to the Federal Law Enforcement Center (FLETC), in Glynco, GA. So as of 6 months ago, 7 weeks of training was in MD, and 7 weeks was at GA. They eventually want to eliminate the PDC entirely from the training and have it all at FLETC. But right now, FLETC is not equipped (with labs etc), to properly teach the pest ID sections. But they are trying to move more and more of it to FLETC. So I wouldn't be surprised if when you finally get to go, only 4 or 5 weeks will be in MD and 9 or 10 weeks in GA. It's mostly a cost savings move for the govt... at FLETC, they don't have to pay for hotels because the housing is on base, and they don't have to pay per deim because FLETC has a dinning hall for all of your meals. It would save the govt. some big bucks.

As far as graduation rate... it can really vary. The class before mine lost 6 students (out of 24), yet my class only lost 1 student (out of 24). Again, the govt. has invested alot in you, and they want you to pass, so they really give you every opportunity to make it through. That said, there are things you can do to prepare and make life easier on yourself. Also, it is VERY important that you bond as a class. You will make it much harder on yourself if you try to go it alone. So all you loners out there, practice your social skills. Studying as a group is a big help, and the support you give to your classmates (emotional as well as academic), will come right back to you 100%. Supporting each other will make life much easier, and your time there more fun. So make friends, support each other, and keep tabs on how everyone is doing. For those who have not been in law enforcement or the military, that support will especially pay dividends at FLETC.

Hope that helps.
thanks 1 user thanked Leaver for this useful post.
chicagojay on 11/6/2018(UTC)
BAP1015  
#676 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 7:18:27 AM(UTC)
BAP1015

United States

Is the training just Monday-Friday or is it weekends also? Also, do you have an option of driving or flying to training? I have family around both training areas and if we have weekends off, I would love to be able to drive and see them.
thanks 1 user thanked BAP1015 for this useful post.
chicagojay on 11/7/2018(UTC)
Leaver  
#677 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 9:23:44 AM(UTC)
Leaver

Originally Posted by: BAP1015 Go to Quoted Post
Is the training just Monday-Friday or is it weekends also? Also, do you have an option of driving or flying to training? I have family around both training areas and if we have weekends off, I would love to be able to drive and see them.

It's Monday through Friday, 7:30 am till 4:30 pm with an hour for lunch. Weekends and holidays off.
Half of my class drove and had their own cars, so they could do like you want to and visit family and friends, and half were coming from too far away (like myself) and flew. I did rent a car in both places so I could get out and about when I wanted.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 07, 2018 9:47:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Leaver for this useful post.
BAP1015 on 11/7/2018(UTC), chicagojay on 11/7/2018(UTC)
chicagojay  
#678 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:28:49 PM(UTC)
chicagojay

United States

Is there anything you recommend bringing? Umbrella, cup o noodle, shoes, thick jacket, utensils, backpack, pen, pencils, stick notes, highlighter etc? Or just buy it at PDC?

Edited by user Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:34:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Leaver  
#679 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 8:20:41 AM(UTC)
Leaver

Is there anything you recommend bringing? Umbrella, cup o noodle, shoes, thick jacket, utensils, backpack, pen, pencils, stick notes, highlighter etc? Or just buy it at PDC?

All of your classroom supplies will be provided, (both at the PDC and at FLETC), so no need to bring any of that stuff. Weather in Frederick, MD can really vary from stinking hot and humid in the summer, to snow and cold in winter, so pack accordingly. At FLETC, it is REALLY stinking hot and humid in summer, and coolish in winter.
lmore15  
#680 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:29:14 PM(UTC)
lmore15

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Did anyone else get a call? Apparently there’s an urgent need of Ag Specialists in San Francisco, so they only offered me that location.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed