Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
11 Pages«<891011>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed Investigator  
#181 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:50:57 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 115 post(s)
So I called DEA suitability and they told me, well we can see you have a clearance and there is no derog that what keep you from getting an interim, contact the HR rep that has your case and see if they are putting you in for the interim.

I emailed me HR rep and no response a week later.

I call her and it's someone else's message. I think my HR rep left the position.

So I have nothing to report. LOL.
DTJR  
#182 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 4:51:22 AM(UTC)
DTJR

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post
So I called DEA suitability and they told me, well we can see you have a clearance and there is no derog that what keep you from getting an interim, contact the HR rep that has your case and see if they are putting you in for the interim.

I call her and it's someone else's message. I think my HR rep left the position.

Who was your HR Rep?

751Mtn  
#183 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 7:03:30 AM(UTC)
751Mtn

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DTJR Go to Quoted Post

Who was your HR Rep?

I think this is my recruiter/rep too. Had problems from the start. She never responded via email or phone. Now I get the same voicemail with someone else's name. If anyone can figure out how to get her to respond let me know too.
Fed Investigator  
#184 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:51:50 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

I don't want to put anyone on blast on a public forum.

If I figure anything else out, I'll post for sure.
DTJR  
#185 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 6:34:51 PM(UTC)
DTJR

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: 751Mtn Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DTJR Go to Quoted Post

Who was your HR Rep?

I think this is my recruiter/rep too. Had problems from the start. She never responded via email or phone. Now I get the same voicemail with someone else's name. If anyone can figure out how to get her to respond let me know too.

I tried calling mine, voice mail has not been set up yet for this person.....wondering if we all have the same one
DiscretionarySpending  
#186 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:24:27 AM(UTC)
DiscretionarySpending

United States

Roll call for us November ‘16ers, anyone else still waiting?
AZShadowStorm  
#187 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:12:13 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yeah, I’m still waiting around but I’ve been having a difficult time getting any information.
Fed Investigator  
#188 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:36:45 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Yep, I've called and emailed everyone I have contact info for and not one reply.

I thought my agency's hiring practice was terrible, this is next level stuff.
Tooey81  
#189 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:34:28 AM(UTC)
Tooey81

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Still here. Did talk to HR last week- found out who my new rep was bc apparently old rep is no longer there. Did get a request for interim back in July but haven’t received a risk letter or anything since then. Assuming that’ had something to do with HR rep leaving. New rep said there are a lot of people in the queue for January class. Hoping to hear something soon....
Tooey81  
#190 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:36:42 AM(UTC)
Tooey81

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
She also said there are classes scheduled for january, April and July right now
thanks 1 user thanked Tooey81 for this useful post.
CaitieMFT on 9/28/2018(UTC)
DTJR  
#191 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:01:49 AM(UTC)
DTJR

Man
United States

Still waiting also, finally got a email response, so hopefully things can start moving again. I've done everything but EQUIP and meet with BI. Current clearance holder, but not sure if that matters or not. Time will tell, January would be a great time to go!

Barri  
#192 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:10:58 PM(UTC)
Barri

United States

I am not an Oct-Nov 16 applicant. I am an August 18 applicant. But I figured I would jump in here to see how the process is going for those that have been going through it a while.

Current Clearance holder for another DOJ component with 12 years of service. Currently going through my 10 year recheck of my background, hoping that maybe that can also be used for this. Not sure how that would work though being that its not for a Secret Clearance.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.
GearUp  
#193 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 8:27:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 422 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Barri,

Sorry to say but you'll need a Top Secret for the DEA. So your current clearance isn't enough and your ongoing re-investigation will likely be re-done. Just hang in there during the process. Welcome aboard and best of luck.
Barri  
#194 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 1:09:35 PM(UTC)
Barri

United States

I figured as much. I'll just sit back and see where the road goes I suppose.
BigTomCallahan  
#195 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 11:45:51 AM(UTC)
BigTomCallahan

Man
United States

Hey guys,

Its been a while to say the least. I seen that there was some movement from the 2015 folks, so I am hoping that extends to us as well.

I just want to ask if any of ya’ll actually got your clearances yet? My investigators have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel of contacts for me because Ive been getting emails from people I havent heard from in 10 plus years saying they gave me a positive reference.

Have a great holiday season!
Fed Investigator  
#196 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 6:18:04 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Here's an update:

Was emailed that I am eligible for an interim clearance and I have to choose to start the position with the interim clearance which if I don't pass the final clearance Investigation, I could be removed or wait for the clearance investigation which could take another 12 to 24 months.

I emailed back that I already hold a TS and Q and have held one for over 10 years.

DEA replied that they requested my clearance from my agency but the request wasn't responded to.

I then replied asking if they just couldn't look me up in JPAS?

No response.

So for the last two years I've been told by DEA that they were waiting on OPM to conduct my clearance investigation, which appears to be a lie. I guess only now they would initiate my investigation?

What nonsense.

I declined to start with the interim clearance, this shouldn't be this difficult.
GearUp  
#197 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 10:21:30 AM(UTC)

Fed Investigator,

I'm confused. How is it that the DEA lied to you for the last 2 years? Did the DEA send you E-Quip and ask you to complete it? If yes, then they didn't lie. They have been waiting on OPM to conduct a BI. DEA used to grant "interim" clearances many years ago. They hired people under the interim clearance. They got burnt several times and stopped granting interim clearances. Its only been in the recent past that they started back hiring under interim clearances. If you already have a TS and Q I don't understand why you wouldn't accept the position under an interim. Having a TS and Q, to me, shows you shouldn't have a problem getting a TS through DEA and maintaining the position. Why wouldn't you "pass the final clearance investigation" if you already have a TS and Q? I'm confused. By declining the position under the interim you are taking the chance of not being selected as they start to fill the class.

You maybe right that it "shouldn't be this difficult." But its the DEA and they do things their way. DEA requires everyone to go through its Academy. Even if a person is a former US Marshal, Secret Service Agent, or FBI Agent. They all go through the Academy. Why? They already received training as federal investigators. Because its the DEA way. So, to me, it makes sense that everyone has to go through the same security clearance process. Each and every agency has its own procedures. I had an active/current TS/SCI yet still had to go through the entire BI. Its the DEA way! Their house. Their game. Their rules. Its as simple as that. Everyone should consider themselves lucky they are offering the interim clearances and hiring under the interim clearances. They could go back to the old ways and make everyone wait until the BI is adjudicated before being hired. Sorry you feel you were lied to. I don't see it. If you filled out the E-Quip then its on OPM and not the DEA.
Fed Investigator  
#198 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:32:09 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

DEA has said first they were waiting for OPM to finish the background, obviously that's not case as they offered an interim.

Why could they not offer it a year ago?

Now that I declined to start with the interim they are going to initiate the investigation? Why else would it take an additional 12 to 24 months?

I chose not to start with the interim because quite frankly I question working for an agency whose hiring process is this bad. Makes me wonder what else is waiting around the corner.
AZcactus42  
#199 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 1:30:43 PM(UTC)
AZcactus42

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
Fed Investigator,

I'm confused. How is it that the DEA lied to you for the last 2 years? Did the DEA send you E-Quip and ask you to complete it? If yes, then they didn't lie. They have been waiting on OPM to conduct a BI. DEA used to grant "interim" clearances many years ago. They hired people under the interim clearance. They got burnt several times and stopped granting interim clearances. Its only been in the recent past that they started back hiring under interim clearances. If you already have a TS and Q I don't understand why you wouldn't accept the position under an interim. Having a TS and Q, to me, shows you shouldn't have a problem getting a TS through DEA and maintaining the position. Why wouldn't you "pass the final clearance investigation" if you already have a TS and Q? I'm confused. By declining the position under the interim you are taking the chance of not being selected as they start to fill the class.

You maybe right that it "shouldn't be this difficult." But its the DEA and they do things their way. DEA requires everyone to go through its Academy. Even if a person is a former US Marshal, Secret Service Agent, or FBI Agent. They all go through the Academy. Why? They already received training as federal investigators. Because its the DEA way. So, to me, it makes sense that everyone has to go through the same security clearance process. Each and every agency has its own procedures. I had an active/current TS/SCI yet still had to go through the entire BI. Its the DEA way! Their house. Their game. Their rules. Its as simple as that. Everyone should consider themselves lucky they are offering the interim clearances and hiring under the interim clearances. They could go back to the old ways and make everyone wait until the BI is adjudicated before being hired. Sorry you feel you were lied to. I don't see it. If you filled out the E-Quip then its on OPM and not the DEA.

Gear UP-

It is admirable that you get on here and help DEA DI applicants. Everyone appreciates what you post and how you try to help out. I know you would never criticize the DEA because.. they are your employer. I have been through the hiring process (and been hired) by several federal agencies. The "DEA way" and their hiring processes/practices are atrocious. Their communication is horrible. I was a 2016 applicant. About a year ago I was contacted by DEA HR and told that I would be granted an interim clearance and to notify my employer, because I would "most likely" be placed in the next academy class. I notified my employer, but did not give notice.. because I did not have a firm academy date. Then I waited... and waited.. and waited. When I would follow up.. they would say everything was status quo, and to just wait. Then one day (out of the blue) I received a letter in the mail...saying I was no longer being considered for the DI position and thanking me for applying. No explanation, no nothing. Almost 2 years in the hiring process, ended with no explanation. To this day, I still don't know what happened. Everything is a secret, and nobody wants to say why. They did tell me that it had nothing to do with anything in my background or suitability concerns... and that I was free to re-apply or apply for other "government" work. I just had my 10 year re-investigation with my current agency/employer... no issues whatsoever.

Fast forward to last Monday. I get an email from DEA HR. She says that she is my new DEA HR contact...because my other one retired. She says to contact her if I had questions. I shoot her an email and ask her why I was still being contacted. She responds and says that I am still in the "background/suitability" stage"... and to standby while that is completed. HA!!!! I email her back and tell her about the letter I received. She responds back..."let me look into this".. and I haven't heard back since. I am confident I won't hear back unless I follow up multiple times and press her for an answer. I probably won't waste my time. How does this happen??
GearUp  
#200 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 9:47:02 AM(UTC)

Please understand I'm not defending the DEA and the "atrocious" hiring processes/practices. I'm stating a fact - "its the DEA way!" Good, bad, or indifferent it is what it is. I guess my words were a veiled criticism of how they do things. I've stated over and over that the process is long and frustrating. If you've followed this or other Diversion related forums you'll know that the process is long and not perfect. But the fault isn't entirely on the DEA. DEA pays extra to OPM to expedite BIs yet it takes OPM, on average, 300+ days to complete a BI. That's an uncomplicated BI. Now OPM has problems because applicants don't complete the E-Quip properly or leave things out which delays the process. Also, the number of applicants who apply and have to be processed is crazy. I can tell you it is extremely frustrating to get an applicant scheduled for testing and interviews only to have the applicant not show up at one or the other and request rescheduling. Or for an applicant to show up late for a scheduled interview and expect to be interviewed. When that happens the recruiter has to task DIs who have to stop doing what they are doing to interview this applicant. There are applicants who drag their feet providing requested information/documentation and miss deadlines. Then cry a river begging for extra time. Again, extra time is granted only to have them drag their feet again. Its nuts. A small HR staff is busting their butts to get applicants processed only to be constantly interrupted by repeated phone calls and e-mails from applicants wanting status updates. I've been told that HR has received calls from applicants the day after the applicant was interviewed or took the assessment tests or the medical screening asking if they passed. The very next day! The recruiter hasn't even competed his/her interview paperwork and HR is getting phone calls.

It may sound like I'm defending the process. I'm not. I'm stating facts. Can the DEA improve? Yes!!! Most definitely there is room for improvement. And HQ and HR are working on improvements. But is there blame to go around? Yes! OPM and the applicants themselves have to share in the blame as well. OPM because it take so long to complete a simple uncomplicated BI. The applicants because they, don't complete the necessary paperwork, they miss appointments, testing and interviews, and constantly make status inquires. I've repeatedly posted that it is a long process and that you should just provide the information/documentation requested in a timely manner, meet the appointments and interviews and deadlines asked and then wait. Constant calling or e-mailing isn't going to move you along any faster or up the chain ahead of anyone else.

There is plenty to criticize the DEA for, and I do and will when appropriate. I agree the process isn't perfect and has problems. But there is fault to go around. I will say that despite what some may think, once you get through the process and complete the Academy you will find that this is the best career in the federal government. The DEA constantly gets some of the highest ratings compared to other agencies in the DOJ, and the federal government, from its employees as a place to work. I understand every ones' frustration. You are in a very competitive process competing against some top candidates. But if you pass up the opportunity because you're frustrated or have a negative perception of the agency based on the hiring process then, in my opinion, its your loss and not the DEA's. We get a ton of applicants, and will continue to get a ton of applicants, who struggle or will struggle through the process and will enjoy a great career. I wish everyone good luck in whatever path you choose.
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
CaitieMFT on 11/9/2018(UTC), DiscretionarySpending on 11/9/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed